What are your biggest Windows 10 bugbears? (2017 Edition)

This thread is inspired from xxxxxx.xxxxxx's original thread back when Windows 10 was first released. Windows 10 now has had 4 feature updates (Fall Creators Update being the latest), so a lot has changed. Have they fixed the issues you originally had, and is there any new issues you encountered throughout the releases?

For me, they fixed some:

On 8/7/2015 at 3:30 PM, LimeMaster said:

Here are mine so far:

• No Start Screen. The maximized Start Menu doesn't count, as it doesn't function like the Start Screen in Windows 8. (Getting there)
  • The Ctrl key can not be used to select multiple items in the Start Menu. (Surprisingly not fixed)
  • App list in Start Menu uses the old vertical view, making it harder find programs. (Yup, it's acts more like the Start Screen now)
  • Some Modern apps look like crap in windowed mode. (I think it's mostly okay now)
  • Colourless titlebars. (It's fixed)
  • Some options in the Settings app are unnecessarily greyed out. (Still happens sometimes)
  • Only one instance of the Settings app can be opened. (Weirdly enough, it's not fixed)
  • Limited control of Windows Updates, even in Pro edition. (Not complete control yet, but at least you can schedule longer delays now)

Aside from these issues, Windows 10 seems decent.

And here are my new issues:

• You can't pin shortcuts and files to the Start Menu.
  • Certain desktop software icons on the Start Menu have a different coloured tile or a larger icon, which causes a weird inconsistency with rest of the desktop software.
  • Cortana on the OOBE. It actually makes the process longer as certain parts have been moved to separate screens.
  • Cortana can no longer be disabled through the Settings app. You now need a registry hack.
  • The Mail app.
  • Microsoft taunts privacy improvements with the latest feature updates, however you still have to go through the entire Settings app because there are a few options scattered about.
  • The Photo app controls cover the image when zoomed.
  • The  personal folders on My PC. You can remove them by a registry hack.
  • The OneDrive icon that appears on the left pane stays even when it has been uninstalled. Again, it needs a registry hack to remove.

Obviously I like Windows 10, but you can't deny it does have it's flaws. So what are your bugbears?

On my Macbook Pro (not sure the year 2011 -2013)...

1)Every time I restart the laptop I have to reinstall the graphics driver to allow me to select the default resolution

2) After it runs for a little while I can no longer click on the start button without restarting explorer.exe

15 minutes ago, warwagon said:

On my Macbook Pro (not sure the year 2011 -2013)...

1)Every time I restart the laptop I have to reinstall the graphics driver to allow me to select the default resolution

2) After it runs for a little while I can no longer click on the start button without restarting explorer.exe

And I thought it was only me. Thank the gods I am not alone.

Just now, NinjaGinger said:

Ive tried to think long and hard on this and tbh only bugbear i have is all the wasted space in the start menu and its flatness, that part could be solved by a slim 2 or more px border and shadowing. 

So in grand scheme not really biggies. Cosmetics really.

The new Protected Folders feature is nice, as is the notifications when it blocks a program from writing to a file. But it would be nice if the notification took you to the program's folder, rather than the file's. That way you could examine the program and whitelist it if it was legit.

I still cannot have a separate color for taskbar than the accent color.

Outlook new mail notification STILL cannot delete new email from toast notifications. Have to run Outlook in compatiblity mode to get the old notifications back for this feature.

I also have to use Winareo tweaker to set my desktop icons to bold, or even change the font being used. Win10 has taken away user customization options. Becoming FAR to MAC-like.

• Like 2

1) By default Windows has removed the confirmation dialog box when deleting a file. When You press delete the file or file(s) just go into the recycle bin without confirmation. I know you can turn that back on but it should NOT be off by default.

2) They need to bring back some kind of Animation on Restart/shutdown or logging in. Otherwise, how can we tell if the computer hasn't completely locked up?

3) They should make the Yellow folder on the taskbar go to "This PC" by default.

4) Start menu suggestions should be off by default. It just looks sleazy.

5) When checking for updates in the Windows store it should not pull down 3rd party windows apps you didn't ask for.

• Like 3

I've had many issues off and on with different builds, but the START menu not working at different times is probably the biggest. 

I updated several machines to 1709 the other days and  on a few of them, NO Modern apps would open, including Settings

On my gaming machines, when I moved to 1709, ALL my games would crash with different BSoD errors.  I have newest drivers and uninstalled some un-needed software.  It's only a month-old install.  Rolling back to 1703 fixed issues.

My biggest gripe is that not all Control Panel settings are in Settings.  I have to still use the old apps to get to certain things.  They've have how many years to fix that?

19 minutes ago, farmeunit said:

My biggest gripe is that not all Control Panel settings are in Settings.  I have to still use the old apps to get to certain things.  They've have how many years to fix that?

Yes, I find the old control panel much easier. I also much prefer the Programs and features to the new App and settings for regular applications.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/11/2017 at 2:38 PM, NinjaGinger said:

yep same here

On 11/17/2017 at 9:44 AM, farmeunit said:

but the START menu not working at different times is probably the biggest. 

For the first time since launch, I have now experienced this issue on my gaming rig. It is pretty annoying, luckily its just a gaming rig and I dont need to do much else on it. I found if I signout of my account then sign back in, it works. I suspect a corrupt user profile, but I dont want to go through the hassle of creating a new account and migrating/reinstalling the games. I hope it will randomly fix itself via an update.

On 11/17/2017 at 6:03 PM, warwagon said:

Yes, I find the old control panel much easier. I also much prefer the Programs and features to the new App and settings for regular applications.

I find win + R and type "control panel" is fine by me :)

• 3 weeks later...

The first time logging into your profile after upgrading to the "Fall creators update" you are left with a static image that just has your name and says "Welcome". There is no visual indication that it's doing a damn thing, Microsoft removed the spinning dots.

I wonder how many people think their computer is locked up because it hasn't moved in 30 seconds and just shut the machine off and turn it back on?

What it SHOULD say is "Preparing your profile, do not turn off the computer"

• Like 2