Windows 10 Not Restarting Properly.

Hey all, I'm having a problem when I restart Windows 10 on a new rig. Whenever I click restart in the start menu, it says "restarting," then turns off the monitor like it normally does, except it just hangs there where the black screen of the monitor would normally restart and just show the post/bios. 

The only way to get back to a regular restart is by actually pressing the restart button on my PC case.

Is anyone aware of this problem, and if so, it's this a Windows problem, or is it my bios? I've checked with MSI and they don't seem to know anything about anything, heck even their forum doesn't work properly, but my PC works perfectly otherwise and I really feel this is a Windows problem. Just in case, I'm leaving my specs here.

MSI B350M Gaming Pro Mobo

Ryzen 3 ,3.4GHz

Geil Potenza Evo 8gb DDR4 Ram

Samsung SSD 250gb

EVGA GTX 980 4GB Vcard

Bunch of regular Sata drives (all work.)

Thank you.

Is it a vanilla (not sodomised) Windows install?

Have you tried re-installing?

Does this happen in safe mode as well?

9 minutes ago, HelgenX said:

Hey all, I'm having a problem when I restart Windows 10 on a new rig. Whenever I click restart in the start menu, it says "restarting," then turns off the monitor like it normally does, except it just hangs there where the black screen of the monitor would normally restart and just show the post/bios. 

The only way to get back to a regular restart is by actually pressing the restart button on my PC case.

Is anyone aware of this problem, and if so, it's this a Windows problem, or is it my bios? I've checked with MSI and they don't seem to know anything about anything, heck even their forum doesn't work properly, but my PC works perfectly otherwise and I really feel this is a Windows problem. Just in case, I'm leaving my specs here.

MSI B350M Gaming Pro Mobo

Ryzen 3 ,3.4GHz

Geil Potenza Evo 8gb DDR4 Ram

Samsung SSD 250gb

EVGA GTX 980 4GB Vcard

Bunch of regular Sata drives (all work.)

Thank you.

Try copying this into a blank text document and save it as DISM.cmd it will automatically prompt for UAC, then it will run the DISM command as well as SFC/scannow and will copy the resulting text document to the desktop for you to easily read:

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:: Automatically check & get admin rights V2
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
@echo off
CLS
ECHO.
ECHO =============================
ECHO Running Admin shell
ECHO =============================

:init
setlocal DisableDelayedExpansion
set "batchPath=%~0"
for %%k in (%0) do set batchName=%%~nk
set "vbsGetPrivileges=%temp%\OEgetPriv_%batchName%.vbs"
setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion

:checkPrivileges
NET FILE 1>NUL 2>NUL
if '%errorlevel%' == '0' ( goto gotPrivileges ) else ( goto getPrivileges )

:getPrivileges
if '%1'=='ELEV' (echo ELEV & shift /1 & goto gotPrivileges)
ECHO.
ECHO **************************************
ECHO Invoking UAC for Privilege Escalation
ECHO **************************************

ECHO Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%vbsGetPrivileges%"
ECHO args = "ELEV " >> "%vbsGetPrivileges%"
ECHO For Each strArg in WScript.Arguments >> "%vbsGetPrivileges%"
ECHO args = args ^& strArg ^& " "  >> "%vbsGetPrivileges%"
ECHO Next >> "%vbsGetPrivileges%"
ECHO UAC.ShellExecute "!batchPath!", args, "", "runas", 1 >> "%vbsGetPrivileges%"
"%SystemRoot%\System32\WScript.exe" "%vbsGetPrivileges%" %*
exit /B

:gotPrivileges
setlocal & pushd .
cd /d %~dp0
if '%1'=='ELEV' (del "%vbsGetPrivileges%" 1>nul 2>nul  &  shift /1)

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::START
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
REM Run shell as admin (example) - put here code as you like
ECHO %batchName% Arguments: %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
sfc /scannow
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

• Like 2

Appears like a bad device driver or hardware device.

- update all device drivers

- unplug any USB devices that you can to test restart.

- check for newer BIOS

Also, if it is hanging at just the point it should be booting, you could have weak P/S or bad BIOS timing, or bad Overclock settings

6 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Appears like a bad device driver or hardware device.

- update all device drivers

- unplug any USB devices that you can to test restart.

- check for newer BIOS

Also, if it is hanging at just the point it should be booting, you could have weak P/S or bad BIOS timing, or bad Overclock settings

Good point about the drivers, I just thought it sounded more like corrupt system files. I really like SDI for all driver needs.

I've did SFC, I have all updated drivers and I have updated my BIOS. I've seen a few threads elsewhere with this same problem, but I still haven't been able to resolve mine. What do you all think this could be, Windows or the BIOS? Here is a link to the thread I posted on MSI's forum. If you actually do read into it to help me, I deeply appreciate it.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=293849.0

It seems like some service is causing the delay in restart,

Try this command in either Run box or Command box

shutdown -f -r -t 00

This command will force all the program to quit without user interaction.

2 hours ago, HelgenX said:

I've did SFC, I have all updated drivers and I have updated my BIOS. I've seen a few threads elsewhere with this same problem, but I still haven't been able to resolve mine. What do you all think this could be, Windows or the BIOS? Here is a link to the thread I posted on MSI's forum. If you actually do read into it to help me, I deeply appreciate it.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=293849.0

I looked at your posts in that forum.

In general you need to be more methodical in your testing and record keeping and don't assume anything.

There is nothing about Windows 10 other than possible driver or device comparability that would be different from Windows 7. That's why I asked you to remove as many devices as possible and someone in the other forum made a similar request.

That being said, it looks like a BIOS level issue and for whatever reason, the "default settings" in the BIOS might be too aggressive for some component. So the way to approach that is to slow down and back off any possible setting that might lead to this issue and see if you can get the problem to go away. If it does then it is a matter of figuring out which change worked. If it doesn't then you either need another BIOS update or else it is something else.

1. Turn off ANY  "Turbo" or "Automatic" tuning in the BIOS. That stuff should stay off anyways.

2. Set timing control to MANUAL.

3. Slow down RAM Access.

4. Slow down CPU a bit

5. Turn off the deepest level power save states

6. Make sure all CPU features such as execute disable, virtualization etc are TURNED ON

Also you don't mention the model number of your Samsung EVO - some of them have firmware updates available. You might have a weird disk hang.

Also, I hate performance RAM since it tends to be flaky and is poor bang for the buck performance wise.

You did not list the exact model of your Geil Potenza Evo but it might need some slight over-volting to be stable. If it is at 1.2 right now, try 1.25 or 1.3

Also check that the RAM is listed on the Mobo QVL tested RAM list.

After all the other stuff, you could also try a slight over-volt on the CPU and the chipset.

Hello,

Was the installation of Windows 10 onto this new computer cloned from another, or was it a clean install to a blank drive?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Do you have hibernation enabled? Just wondering if it's trying to save the hiberfil.sys and can't. To be honest, if you're using an SSD then hibernation should be disabled, just type "powercfg -h off" in the run command dialog to disable it.

Is HPET enabled in the BIOS, if it isn't, then enable it? The reason I ask is that I had this issue with an MSI board and that turned out to be the reason.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late reply. I'm using Geil Potenza ram, but I don't think it's any of my hardware, I really think it's Windows itself, as I've read other people with the same issues but with different hardware and I just so happen to fall into the category of a small amount of people with this issue.

I do not have an option for HPET on my motherboard.

As for the power options, I don't even have the options to use hibernation or change many of the power options, being that I'm yet again one of those few who have the problem with the power options being hidden. I've checked a lot of the tweak guides to getting the advanced power options to show. W10 has been nothing but problems to me on this new PC and my old one. Not specifically in performance, but more like it has a lot of little glitches or problems that really bother me, and this one has to be the most annoying since I have to get up and press reset every time I install something... Don't mean to sound lazy, but it's very annoying when you're using your PC on your couch while comfy after a long day of work and have to get up just to reset.

8 hours ago, HelgenX said:

Sorry for the late reply. I'm using Geil Potenza ram, but I don't think it's any of my hardware, I really think it's Windows itself, as I've read other people with the same issues but with different hardware and I just so happen to fall into the category of a small amount of people with this issue.

I do not have an option for HPET on my motherboard.

As for the power options, I don't even have the options to use hibernation or change many of the power options, being that I'm yet again one of those few who have the problem with the power options being hidden. I've checked a lot of the tweak guides to getting the advanced power options to show. W10 has been nothing but problems to me on this new PC and my old one. Not specifically in performance, but more like it has a lot of little glitches or problems that really bother me, and this one has to be the most annoying since I have to get up and press reset every time I install something... Don't mean to sound lazy, but it's very annoying when you're using your PC on your couch while comfy after a long day of work and have to get up just to reset.

"Don't mean to sound lazy, but it's very annoying when you're using your PC on your couch while comfy after a long day of work" ... and you have to actually follow diagnostic steps suggested by members at Neowin.

Since you are bringing up lazy, I might hypothesize a case of intellectual laziness. On the other hand, physical laziness I can get on board with. If I thought there was no way to solve this problem other than live with pushing the reset button (which is a logic state I would never reach) then I would run an old 30 foot telephone cord with a switch soldered onto one end and soldered in parallel with the reset button in the computer case on the other end. The Comfy Couch Sanctum is safe again!

1. It is always possible but highly unlikely this is a Windows 10 problem. Try to eliminate this from your thinking. Consider it to be Observer Bias - "Observer bias (also called experimenter bias or research bias) is the tendency to see what we expect to see, or what we want to see." http://www.statisticshowto.com/observer-bias/

2. Does the machine always boot with a "boot beep" every time you hit reset? If this is erractic in any way, it is a clue pointing to hardware.

3. If you right-click on the Windows Icon in lower left of screen and select restart, do you get the various "restarting" messages and then it hangs at a black screen?

If so, it is waiting for confirmation from a hardware device for which a very long time-out has been set or it has crashed at that point also due to a hardware device issue. Here is where you suspect BIOS version, old device not fully compatible with Windows 10, corrupted SSD or any mass storage device attached to the computer, defective motherboard.

4. You need to respond quickly to the volunteers requesting information here if you expect other human beings to invest time and concern into your problem. When your computer is fixed, volunteer to help others, throw a coin at the homeless guy on the street or whatever we all do to make this world a better place.

Hello,

I would suggest backing up all data and downloading all currently installed software and current device drivers to external media, then wiping the drive, resetting the motherboard's UEFI (BIOS) firmware to default values then doing a clean install of Windows 10, drivers, software and data to the newly set up computer.

This will be not just the simplest and the quickest way to get the system running in a known state, but also provide you with an easier platform on which any further troubleshooting can be done, if needed.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I believe this is a windows issue with waiting to index or some other such thing, just can not remember the particulars.. Look over on AskVG. I believe that is were I read about it. In a nutshell, windows is waiting to do something that never transpires. Nothing wrong with the system, just the system waiting to be told to move on.. It was cured with a simple setting withing windows. Had to do with indexing or something similar..

Turning off fast boot might be what it was..

Edited by JoseyWales

I've touched upon the suggestions and it was bothering me for months which is why I didn't respond for quite some time because it was just bothering me so much, that I stopped caring and forgot that I had asked about it in various threads.

But my conclusion is that it is in fact a Windows 10 problem, simply put, since I had problems with it that I've never had. 

The first problem was more of the fact that I haven't built a custom PC in about 8 years. Although, the main problematic issue was the software (Windows) and not the hardware. As soon as I went to install Windows 10, it said I couldn't because my drive wasn't GPT. So I went through the trouble to make the drive into the GPT format.

But I've read up about W10 not restarting properly on multiple forums, and there's hundreds if not thousands of people who have a similar problem. And if on a fresh install, I'm literally missing options and have to use the registry editor, local policies ETC just to open up some options that were missing for no reason, then this is definitely a Windows problem.

At the moment, I'm just going to leave it like it is because I already have some work on it that would take too long to do again in such a short amount of time with deadlines to be met, but I appreciate everyones effort for assistance and appreciate it.

I'll report again if I ever do yet another fresh install, hopefully I can do a video of it, because initially it seemed like nobody could believe or understand what I was talking about when it was simply an issue of it just not restarting but all-else working perfect.

21 hours ago, HelgenX said:

I've touched upon the suggestions and it was bothering me for months which is why I didn't respond for quite some time because it was just bothering me so much, that I stopped caring and forgot that I had asked about it in various threads.

But my conclusion is that it is in fact a Windows 10 problem, simply put, since I had problems with it that I've never had. 

The first problem was more of the fact that I haven't built a custom PC in about 8 years. Although, the main problematic issue was the software (Windows) and not the hardware. As soon as I went to install Windows 10, it said I couldn't because my drive wasn't GPT. So I went through the trouble to make the drive into the GPT format.

But I've read up about W10 not restarting properly on multiple forums, and there's hundreds if not thousands of people who have a similar problem. And if on a fresh install, I'm literally missing options and have to use the registry editor, local policies ETC just to open up some options that were missing for no reason, then this is definitely a Windows problem.

At the moment, I'm just going to leave it like it is because I already have some work on it that would take too long to do again in such a short amount of time with deadlines to be met, but I appreciate everyones effort for assistance and appreciate it.

I'll report again if I ever do yet another fresh install, hopefully I can do a video of it, because initially it seemed like nobody could believe or understand what I was talking about when it was simply an issue of it just not restarting but all-else working perfect.

You are employing circular logic in support of a classic textbook case of Observer Bias.

Nevertheless, whenever you feel the time is right for you, the people here in the hardware forums who have built countless PC's and installed and debugged Windows 10 will be here to help you in a step by step manner to end up with a happy humming Windows 10 PC.

If you continue to prefer the total chaos approach to debugging, there are even lots of people here that will attempt (up to a certain point of frustration) to help you with that. I have seen that approach end up with a successful outcome but have also seen many support threads die early with that approach.

Best wishes for a Happy New Year 2018 and Successful Builds for Everyone!

You might retry plugging the SATA cables and make sure the firmware on the SSD is updated.

Sometimes the dumbest things get your machine out of wack.

Might also be worth updating or removing the Samsung Magician software (and remove any other OEM crapware like mobo or vidcard tuning tools.)

Edited by dwLostCat

Another possible thing to check if you have your mobo set to Very Fast Boot or something like that it can cause problems.  Fast Boot should work fine.

(I never understood why they offer that setting if they can't actually make it work right most of the time.)

Hello,

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is that prior to wiping the drive, you should update the firmware for the motherboard, video card (if any is available) and the SSD.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky