PC Build Opinion Wanted as a double check before purchasing

Just a quick update, the final build ended up as follows (due to price and availability fluctuations):

• Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 AM4 Mobo
    $89.99
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
    $269.99
  • GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB
    $299.99
  • RAM: Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3000
    $139.99
  • PSU: Seasonic FOCUS  Plus Series SSR-750FX Full Modular
    $79.90
  • Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matt White Mid ATX Tower
    $89.99
  • SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB Sata 2.5"
    $0.00 (already had)

Total (+ shipping) = $993.43

Once I get everything up and running, I'll connect the computer to my 40" 1080p Element LED and game from my couch using a controller of sorts.

A wireless mechanical keyboard is on the agenda one I pay this down a bit.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Personally I would go with a GTX 1060 over the RX 580.  Same price, similar performance, but the 1060 is a lot more efficient and uses less power, thus less heat and noise.  Plus I find Nvidia's driver support to be better than AMD.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487275

My only other thought was maybe look into a closed loop water cooler or a quality CPU fan.  The stock coolers tend to be loud and not that great.  Especially for an AMD system which will run hot from the get go.

Good call on the Seasonic PSU.  They're very very nice.  I just bought one from the Prime series and I like the Hybrid mode that hardly spins the fan.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Personally I would go with a GTX 1060 over the RX 580.  Same price, similar performance, but the 1060 is a lot more efficient and uses less power, thus less heat and noise.  Plus I find Nvidia's driver support to be better than AMD.

My only other thought was maybe look into a closed loop water cooler or a quality CPU fan.  The stock coolers tend to be loud and not that great.  Especially for an AMD system which will run hot from the get go.

Good call on the Seasonic PSU.  They're very very nice.  I just bought one from the Prime series and I like the Hybrid mode that hardly spins the fan.

I wanted the extra 2GB of graphics memory and the 1070 was too expensive for me.

I initially wasn't planning on going with a Seasonic PSU, but for the price everything they offered had excellent reviews.

I'll eventually add a watercooler once I get settled in with this thing. Right now I'm looking forward to the heat it'll throw off because my apartment is tiny and cold.

8 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

It's currently $259.99 right now at B&H

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1298952-REG/evga_06g_p4_6267_kr_geforce_acx_gtx_1060.html

9 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Are you sure you know what you are talking about?

The Wraith Spire is about on par with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.

That's probably because Cooler Master makes the Wraith Spire.

Also, you think that "AMD system runs from the get go"???

AMD's processors (specifically, Ryzen) actually runs cooler than Intel's equivalent

1 hour ago, satukoro said:

I wanted the extra 2GB of graphics memory and the 1070 was too expensive for me.

I initially wasn't planning on going with a Seasonic PSU, but for the price everything they offered had excellent reviews.

I'll eventually add a watercooler once I get settled in with this thing. Right now I'm looking forward to the heat it'll throw off because my apartment is tiny and cold.

If your resolution is going to be 1080, then you won't need the extra VRAM.  8GB is more catered towards 4K gaming, which even then might be overkill.  6GB or even 4GB will be fine for your needs.

1 hour ago, Mockingbird said:

AMD's processors (specifically, Ryzen) actually runs cooler than Intel's equivalent

They actually aren't...  https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/amd-ryzen-7-1700-review/6/

There are a lot of flawed tests out there that present bad data that is skewed by bugs within Windows and not being actually measured with a hardware device.  The data in the link above is accurate.

20 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

They actually aren't...  https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/amd-ryzen-7-1700-review/6/

There are a lot of flawed tests out there that present bad data that is skewed by bugs within Windows and not being actually measured with a hardware device.  The data in the link above is accurate.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/AMD-Ryzen-7-1800X-Review-Now-and-Zen/Power-Consumption-and-Conclusions

https://overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/amd_ryzen_7_1800x_cpu_review/20

28 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Alright, so I guess we'll talk about the 1800x.

Compared to the i7-7700k, the 1800x is more expensive, consumes more power, and has worse performance.  I guess you just proved my point...  Thanks.

It actually brings up a great point in that the OP should drop his AMD choices, go with a 7700k for an extra $20, and get a far more powerful system.

Edited by Astra.Xtreme

39 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Compared to the i7-7700k, the 1800x is more expensive, consumes more power, and has worse performance.  I guess you just proved my point...  Thanks.

It actually brings up a great point in that the OP should drop his AMD choices, go with a 7700k for an extra $20, and get a far more powerful system.

Yeah but multicore performance on the 1700 dominates the 7700k. If I wanted an intel cpu, I would've bought one.

On 11/16/2017 at 12:06 PM, satukoro said:

My daughter has one of these. It’s nice with an ssd. 

2 hours ago, satukoro said:

Yeah but multicore performance on the 1700 dominates the 7700k. If I wanted an intel cpu, I would've bought one.

How often will those extra cores even be beneficial?

For 1080p gaming, which is what he's after, the 7700k crushes the 1700.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3009-amd-r7-1700-vs-i7-7700k-144hz-gaming

OP listed his system, personally I do not see any issues with it.  The few reviews I've seen regarding the Wrath Spire makes it appear to be more than satisfactory for usage (even besting the 212 Evo). 

A fine build.  (Y)

11 hours ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

You sure love apple to orange comparisons don't you?

Why don't you compare it to the Core i7-6900K which performs similarly and has the same number of cores/threads?

• Dislike 1

15 hours ago, sc302 said:

I think this might be a slightly better deal being that it comes with the OS...doesn't have the 16 GB of memory though.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5636347&CatId=114

That's definitely a pretty good deal with the keyboard/mouse/os for way cheaper (and I'd certainly recommend it), but it has half the RAM, half the VRAM, and a smaller ssd than I plan on putting in (I'm gonna do 2 500GB ssds).

Thanks for the input though!

16 hours ago, Jim K said:

OP listed his system, personally I do not see any issues with it.  The few reviews I've seen regarding the Wrath Spire makes it appear to be more than satisfactory for usage (even besting the 212 Evo). 

A fine build.  (Y)

Hey thanks man! It went through a few reconfigurations over the last few weeks because of price fluctuations, but I'm happy with my purchase so far. I just have to wait for it to arrive now.

I looked at the config and suggested an NVIDIA card would be worthwhile and I'm convinced it is still the better long term choice. But I did not repeat my advice since I saw absolutely no value to harp on this once the OP made his purchase.

Do you really want the OP to have doubts and second thoughts now?  Let him enjoy his new toy and go help someone else with their choices!

And kudos to the OP, you are taking this unusual level of second guessing in good cheer!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

How often will those extra cores even be beneficial?

For 1080p gaming, which is what he's after, the 7700k crushes the 1700.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3009-amd-r7-1700-vs-i7-7700k-144hz-gaming

Both of those cards are more than capable of running pretty much anything at 1920x1080 @ 60fps.

Also I plan on some light music production, digital art and 3d modeling so it won't go to waste.

13 minutes ago, DevTech said:

I looked at the config and suggested an NVIDIA card would be worthwhile and I'm convinced it is still the better long term choice. But I did not repeat my advice since I saw absolutely no value to harp on this once the OP made his purchase.

Do you really want the OP to have doubts and second thoughts now?  Let him enjoy his new toy and go help someone else with their choices!

And kudos to the OP, you are taking this unusual level of second guessing in good cheer!

Maybe in a couple years time I can drop in a current (for then) GTX card to give my build a little boost, but for now I'm happy.

2 minutes ago, satukoro said:

Maybe in a couple years time I can drop in a current (for then) GTX card to give my build a little boost, but for now I'm happy.

Oh my. I did not mean to imply an actual point other than reminding others that I held back any comment once you had made your purchase. The tech differences that people are discussing however real they might be in a benchmark, just won't be noticed on a day to day basis. 

There are usage scenarios such as 4K video editing where CPU architecture and GPU architecture can make a big difference. Nothing like that applies to your case and you will be perfectly happy.