Fresh reinstall W10 - cannot enter BIOS

Hi.

I'm trying to reinstall W10 but I'm stuck from entering bios..probably caused by fast-startup from W10.

I've tried recovery solution but pressing 2 (or anything/nothing happends) won't make any change. 

Any ideeas? 

a.jpg

is it an Asus motherboard by any chance?

If so there is a Windows fast boot option in the main bios, clear cmos if so, and you should be able to get back into bios, disable the fast boot flag and reset up all your bios settings, and boot from your EFI setup device.

4 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

Yes.. it's an Asus motherboard.

I'm not sure how to clear cmos. 

easiest way is to look on the motherboard for the CMOS battery, itll be a CR2032 coincell. You can pop that out, leave for 5 or 6 seconds then reinsert it (same orientation)

Or there will be a cmos jumper you will have to short out the pins using a screwdriver or if it has a jumper, move it to the clear cmos config and move it back after a few seconds.

On asus boards its usually down bottom right of board. 

my Strix board uses the following.

• you power it off.
  • unplug PSU power
  • short the pins for 3 seconds.
  • put psu power lead back in, power up.
  • tap F2 or Del as soon as it powers on, to get into Bios.

try to find out your motherboard model and ill check @Asus for you.

8 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

there is not chance to do it from W10 with some sort of app? Or maybe boot from usb-flash drive (& back) after restart from W10? That's all I need for this moment.

I've been reading here.. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/21284-enable-disable-fast-boot-uefi-firmware-settings-windows.html

problem is, if the bios has it set, thats below windows level from what i remember and will override the setting.

screeny of bottom right corner of my Asus mobo the two pins marked CLR CMOS 

20171119_102752.thumb.jpg.f3320ba6719dc4ab008e8fc089d398da.jpg

I discovered having fast boot enable don my first build with this kit in the sig, i came across the same issue :) 

Obviously it means any overclocking or XMP memory mode set, will need set up again. And keep Fast boot off in bios (also check how long it waits for bios entry keypress) i have mine set at 1 second so i tap Del from moment pc power son to enter BIOS.

9 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

My motherboard si Asus H87-PRO

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/H87-PRO/E8223_H87_PRO.pdf

Go to page 1-15 

Section 1.2.7

If you need a hand re-entering the bios settings, just shout its a previous generation but the settings are the same as other builds i have here. the board supports XMP memory mode, deffo worth check its enabled. Im looking through the manual atm for your settings you would need to reinput.

when you get back into the bios EZ mode  most things will default to auto. just check mainly your ram is set as XMP mode (probs under AI Tweaker)

and your sata ports will have defaulted to SATA mode (so if you have raid set up, youll need to reset that back and it will pick up the old vols) thats not so critical if your setting up again with RAID, youll need to wipe the volumes.

Weird!? I have the H87-PLUS and even with Fast Boot enabled I can get to the BIOS by tapping on the Del key after soft reset, F2 works too.

4 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Weird!? I have the H87-PLUS and even with Fast Boot enabled I can get to the BIOS by tapping on the Del key after soft reset, F2 works too.

I think it stems with another setting, there is a key delay setting in those efi bioses, you can set it to 0 seconds. if both are set.....bingo, your stuffed :) as soon as i power it on i sit and tap Del till post.

2 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

So here should be ? 

Capture.JPG

yip thats the fellah. move it right one pin with power lead removed from psu and move it back after 6 seconds.

power pc back on tapping Del or F2 and Bios should be back to factory default. Those settings will be disabled. (fast boot and 0 delay on post keypress)

3 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

if I unplug my entire system from power it's ok ?

yes, you have to have the power removed from the power supply to invoke the cmos reset. Basically moving the jumper completes a circuit telling the CMOS chip to clear user parameters which electrically wipes the user set bios settings. Hence when you update a BIOS you "flash" the bios.

Before you do this, make sure you have that motherboard book open on another device and a way to reply here :) 

1 minute ago, Cosmin said:

and it's the same thing as with the battery-removal right? Both are cramped under my boards.. :D

Yes, the jumper is a bit less fiddly than trying to pop out the coincell tbh lol just a bit though :p 

24 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I know on my Gigabyte motherboard there is a Fast Boot and an Ultra Fast Boot setting - the former just prevents bootable USB drives, the latter prevents you accessing the UEFI at boot.