Questions about new build

I'm building a coffee lake based system this week. Do modern motherboards need RAM timings input manually like they used to or are they read automatically? On my current build, I recall having a major headache getting the right timings set.

Also, I plan on using the same case. It has 2 front USB 3 ports. Will those be compatible with the USB 3.1 from the motherboard?

Lastly, can the coffee lake be overclocked with the stock cooling or is it advisable to stay at clock speed until I buy some liquid cooling?

Depending on the motherboard, it can safely detect overclock parameters based on your system and cooling capability. Not to say you can’t go higher but it can detect stable overclock.

14 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Depending on the motherboard, it can safely detect overclock parameters based on your system and cooling capability. Not to say you can’t go higher but it can detect stable overclock.

Will it detect RAM timings as well? The g-skill ram I bought has timings listed, but every build I've ever done before the advertised timings never seemed to be stable.

3 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Of course.

My asus Maximus detected everything. I am at 30% overclock and stable.

Great! The Maximus X Hero is what I got.

On 11/20/2017 at 2:01 PM, patseguin said:

I'm building a coffee lake based system this week. Do modern motherboards need RAM timings input manually like they used to or are they read automatically? On my current build, I recall having a major headache getting the right timings set.

Select XMP memory mode (In AI Tweaker in BIOS)  and Ram rating and timings will be autoset to the best supported speeds and timings.

Also, I plan on using the same case. It has 2 front USB 3 ports. Will those be compatible with the USB 3.1 from the motherboard?

No, but the motherboard will also have standard usb 3 ports which will work with case plugs.

Lastly, can the coffee lake be overclocked with the stock cooling or is it advisable to stay at clock speed until I buy some liquid cooling?

Not ideal, the coffee lakes run quite warm, treat yourself to an AIO if you want to push past the stock Boost mode.

1 hour ago, Mando said:

Select XMP memory mode (In AI Tweaker in BIOS)  and Ram rating and timings will be autoset to the best supported speeds and timings.

No, but the motherboard will also have standard usb 3 ports which will work with case plugs.

Not ideal, the coffee lakes run quite warm, treat yourself to an AIO if you want to push past the stock Boost mode.

Got the CPU today and I hadn't realized it didn't come with a fan. Every CPU I've bought before came with a basic fan.

Anyways, I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L7UZMAK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Everyone seems to say it is great.

Got the CPU today and I hadn't realized it didn't come with a fan. Every CPU I've bought before came with a basic fan.

Anyways, I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L7UZMAK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Everyone seems to say it is great.

Why didn’t you go a little more and get an aio water cooler? Corsair 115i $90 vs $110.

4 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Why didn’t you go a little more and get an aio water cooler? Corsair 115i $90 vs $110.

I have a corsair water cooler on my Gulftown and have never been able to reliably overclock it. I read so many good reviews on the one I got I figured I'd try it.

Just one bit of advice with that motherboard, if your cooler allows to be tightened with thumb or normal screws you will just want to make it snug. Do not crank down. The memory lanes are close to the processor and can get “pinched” causing a no post scenario.

11 hours ago, patseguin said:

I have a corsair water cooler on my Gulftown and have never been able to reliably overclock it. I read so many good reviews on the one I got I figured I'd try it.

I have the 115i cooler and have all cores on my 7700k at 4.8ghz idles at 26C and full load 55C.

This is the cooler I installed 8 years ago:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=n82e16835181030&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleKWLess&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleKWLess-_-DSAFeed-All-Products-_-liquid/watercooling-_-NA&ignorebbr&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3dTQBRDnARIsAGKSfll-goS-_9b7PKDWQ0t81EQ1xihDZ8Ng93LFxglOlQOWsuiNB9Nhnd0aAuD4EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I thought about taking it off and putting it on the new build but it might be a pain scraping off and cleaning the thermal paste. Plus I never really felt I was able to overclock one bit with it anyways.

I wouldn’t use that for over clocking. The radiator of the h115 is 2-3x the size.

Also an alcohol soaked glasses wipe works really well to remove thermal paste. It also dries really fast so not bad for electronics. I sometimes use the medical ones used to clean your skin. Leaves a very clean surface.

34 minutes ago, sc302 said:

I wouldn’t use that for over clocking. The radiator of the h115 is 2-3x the size.

Also an alcohol soaked glasses wipe works really well to remove thermal paste. It also dries really fast so not bad for electronics. I sometimes use the medical ones used to clean your skin. Leaves a very clean surface.

THanks for that info. How about this cooler?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-hydro-series-h110i-dual-140mm-liquid-cooling-system/5507140.p?skuId=5507140

On 21/11/2017 at 10:13 AM, Mando said:

In some cases xmp can overclock the bus and cpu. Before enabling it one must be sure the motherboard and cpu/cooler can support it.

For example when i enable xmp on my current computer with 1600 ram the bus goes from 133 to 160 and the cpu from 2660 to 3200 (non boost freq, the boost freq goes from 3200 to 3800 which is a big overclock).

21 minutes ago, LaP said:

In some cases xmp can overclock the bus and cpu. Before enabling it one must be sure the motherboard and cpu/cooler can support it.

For example when i enable xmp on my current computer with 1600 ram the bus goes from 133 to 160 and the cpu from 2660 to 3200 (non boost freq, the boost freq goes from 3200 to 3800 which is a big overclock).

yep but hes using an Asus Maximus Hero and branded XMP rated ram. on Intel kit, the fsb stays locked at 100/auto Intel 6th, 7th and Coffee lakes fully support XMP with a locked CPU FSB. On K series you simply adjust the multiplier to Overclock, I change mine from auto to 48 with minimal heat difference, thanks 115i! 

On the maximus and S270 boards it only changes the timings of the ram and the rated speed.

1 hour ago, patseguin said:

As Sc has mentioned, if the case can support the 115 extra space, its miles above a 110i (its a corsair 400C your using right?) if so the 115i fits directly in the front panel. bigger rad, dual 140mm fans, no brainer imo.

My 115i is my first real foray into liquid, i wont be going back.

Kudos to Sc302, he suggested the 115 to me and i havnt regretted it ever since!

I guess my Coolermaster case won't accommodate a 2 fan cooler right? Here is a pic of where the single fan from my H60 is...

5a15bb2394775_IMG_017142.thumb.jpg.78f28b95eedb66d7a6c9dbb4bbea18c1.jpg

UPDATE: Here is my case: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160&cm_re=coolermaster_case-_-11-119-160-_-Product

@Mandomy CPU is the 8700K. Are you saying that I should NOT use XMP? I am not very good at figuring out multipliers and such but I do plan on trying some overlocking if I can.

I guess my Coolermaster case won't accommodate a 2 fan cooler right? Here is a pic of where the single fan from my H60 is...

UPDATE: Here is my case: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160&cm_re=coolermaster_case-_-11-119-160-_-Product

@Mandomy CPU is the 8700K. Are you saying that I should NOT use XMP? I am not very good at figuring out multipliers and such but I do plan on trying some overlocking if I can.

no, Deffo use XMP mode and the motherboards AITweaker for increasing your cpu multiplier, give me a shout when your ready to delve into the bios settings, or install at least Asus AITuner and Intel XTu app from dvd/ROG site.

a 110 or 115 aint gonna fit that space buddy, the 115i is at least 300mm

The pic below is mine they are dual 140mm fans.

20171122_185447.thumb.jpg.067b7749ad92cdc077ccd88c903e1cfb.jpg

Need to clean that dust and wire management...

18 minutes ago, Mando said:

no, Deffo use XMP mode and the motherboards AITweaker for increasing your cpu multiplier, give me a shout when your ready to delve into the bios settings, or install at least Asus AITuner and Intel XTu app from dvd/ROG site.

a 110 or 115 aint gonna fit that space buddy, the 115i is at least 300mm

The pic below is mine they are dual 140mm fans.

20171122_185447.thumb.jpg.067b7749ad92cdc077ccd88c903e1cfb.jpg

Take a look at my Newegg link for my case if You don't mind. Did they intend fir a dual fan setup to go on top off the case?

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

Need to clean that dust and wire management...

I had it nice and clean and neat at one point. After updating video and water cooler, I let it go!

22 minutes ago, patseguin said:

Take a look at my Newegg link for my case if You don't mind. Did they intend fir a dual fan setup to go on top off the case?

I had it nice and clean and neat at one point. After updating video and water cooler, I let it go!

cant see a 115i fitting without a bit of modding to the top, they can run up top nps, mine only fits in the front bay of the 400C

your probs going to have to go for something like the H80i with push/pull setup, not as affective as a 100 or the 115i but both of those needs at least 280mm (nearer 320 tbh)  due to the larger radiator/suface area.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-series-h80i-high-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler

you have me measuring up my case now to move rad up top dammit :p Damn you pat! :D

7 minutes ago, sc302 said:

I have a Corsair obsidian 750d. Radiator fits up top no prob ;)

yer but mine is dinky yet functional and silent btw :)

This is my first Corsair case, and tbh it wont be my last :) im an ex Lian Li guy personally.

its hiding 6 SSDs (2x123gb evo 840s RAID0 striped & 4x 256 Evo 850s as 1tb RAID0 Striped :P) all running sweetly on a 650W EVGA G2 with a 1080ti EVGA Founders :), Rog gear the rest bar my Corsair 3200 ram.

Very minimalist look, I want to turn my founders into a hybrid & pop it on rear 120mm mount.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HY-5288-B1

apparantly it means once i need to i can push it 40% higher with the new solution and no throttling.