Linux - phpmail not working

+fusi0n    1,593

I have a hosted VPS and I am unable to get wordpress to send emails. I have installed phpmail and it still isn't working. I've reached out to the provider and they are not blocking anything on their end. Any ideas?

+fusi0n    1,593

Looks like the IP I have is blacklisted. 

Mindovermaster    927

That could do it... :/

+fusi0n    1,593

So, got a new IP, and still didn't work. This was driving me nuts, as I could see in the syslog that mail was being sent. What else could it be? Well, the answer is simple. Google was rejecting the emails. The emails were being sent to Google like, "Yo, I'm an email for notification", and Google was all like, "NO! YOU ARE SPAM! IDENTIFY YOURSELF!". After researching, I needed to set up DKIM (DomainKeys Identified Mail) with sendmail. After doing that, Google is all like, "YO! WELCOME TO THE PARTY, TREAT YO SELF TO THE INBOX". 

Matthew S.    232

Ah the blissful pain in the bum that is DKIM...

Seahorsepip    561
15 hours ago, fusi0n said:

So, got a new IP, and still didn't work. This was driving me nuts, as I could see in the syslog that mail was being sent. What else could it be? Well, the answer is simple. Google was rejecting the emails. The emails were being sent to Google like, "Yo, I'm an email for notification", and Google was all like, "NO! YOU ARE SPAM! IDENTIFY YOURSELF!". After researching, I needed to set up DKIM (DomainKeys Identified Mail) with sendmail. After doing that, Google is all like, "YO! WELCOME TO THE PARTY, TREAT YO SELF TO THE INBOX". 

Did you test sending mail to an outlook.com server? Getting past that spam filter is near impossible since there is always a spammer on my IP block that got the whole IP block banned in my experience...

Keep in mind that for transactional mail(registration, notification, newsletter etc) it might be a good idea to use a service instead that handles the email sending, like sendgrid, mailgun, mailchimp, mandrill etc.

Most of them also offer a free ~10k mails/month option, offer APIs/plugins, have tools for mail tracking and have good support that resolves issues like being blacklisted quickly.

If you plan on sending mail from your own server, at least consider configuring SPF also besides DKIM.