Multi monitor setup help

Slugsie    793

I'm having a bit of a problem getting my multi monitor setup working properly after upgrading.

I have a 3 monitor setup, one central 24inch Dell (DVI) and 2 17inch (VGA) no-names at the sides. I was using a Palit 750ti (1x DVI-D, 1x VGA, 1xHDMI) to drive the 24inch and one of the 17inch, and the onboard Intel to drive the other 17inch.

I recently upgraded the motherboard and went with an AMD R5 setup on an Asus Prime B350-PLUS AMD DDR4 S-ATA 600 ATX Motherboard. As there is no built in graphics I dropped down to a dual monitor setup (both the 1060 and 750) until I could get a new graphics card. That turned up last week in the form of a Palit GTX 1060 3GB card. This card has 1x DVI-D, 3x DP, and 1x HDMI). I was hoping to run all the monitors off this card, but with no luck. The main monitor works fine over DVI, but despite trying a number of adapters, the VGA monitors don't work through the DP ports. The monitors are detected just fine, and the nVidia control panel shows the monitor details and max resolutions just fine. But the monitors don't display any image.

What am I missing to get this working?

Mobo:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06X9LN311/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Palit GTX 1060:

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Cards/NVIDIA+GeForce/GeForce+GTX+1060/PALIT+NVIDIA+GeForce+GTX+1060+3GB+DUAL+Graphics+Card+?productId=66656

DP to DVI adaptor (used with generic DVI to VGA adaptor I had lying around):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ZMUL6SI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DP to VGA adaptor:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017Q8OCSY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Slugsie    793

No one got any ideas at all?

zhangm    1,232

I guess just to get the ball rolling, are the VGA displays blank even if they are the only display plugged into the computer?

+The Evil Overlord    17,924

I'm on my phone right now, so I haven't checked the links you've provided, first guess, is the card compatible/faulty? You mentioned it was a palit branded 1060, I'm unfamiliar with the card, though assume it should be identical spec to the evga version.

Having said that, I've noticed some palit cards (usually in the gt400 range) as inferior spec to evga or Asus versions of the same card.

LaP    1,753

I know it's stupid for me to ask but just in case. Are you sure you are in clone or extend desktop mode and not in single monitor mode? You can use keyboard shortcut win + p to check.

Often installing a new card will reset windows to single monitor. Anyway every time i installed a new card windows was reset to single monitor and it fooled me every time.

Edited by LaP
  • Like 1

+Mando    3,896

On  my 1080ti i have to use a specific HDMI port for 1st/2nd output.

main display is on DP and external monitor only works on HDMI port 1 (one nearest my DP on gpu backplane). Dont know if this is a founders edition 1080ti scenario only? I struggled to use any adapters from VGA to DVI to DP etc though.

Brandon H    1,497
2 minutes ago, Mando said:

main display is on DP and external monitor only works on HDMI port 1 (one nearest my DP on gpu backplane). Dont know if this is a founders edition 1080ti scenario only? I struggled to use any adapters from VGA to DVI to DP etc though.

slightly off topic:

that sounds like a really odd limitation on a modern graphics card (especially as high end a card as the 1080ti)? have others reported the issue, are you sure it's not a fault on your card?

+Mando    3,896
6 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

slightly off topic:

that sounds like a really odd limitation on a modern graphics card (especially as high end a card as the 1080ti)? have others reported the issue, are you sure it's not a fault on your card?

I checked with EVGA and its fairly common they reckon, on my previous 970 it made no difference. Sorry swap HDMI with DP :)

https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GTX-1080Ti-What-are-the-Primary-Port-Order-or-Priority-Order-m2631383.aspx

Brandon H    1,497
1 minute ago, Mando said:

I checked with EVGA and its fairly common they reckon, on my previous 970 it made no difference. Sorry swap HDMI with DP :)

https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GTX-1080Ti-What-are-the-Primary-Port-Order-or-Priority-Order-m2631383.aspx

that is really weird but good to know :)

+Mando    3,896
8 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

that is really weird but good to know :)

yer i manually trawled through the EVGA forums for that nugget.

On my 970 i had a similar issue, also one to be aware of....old Z68 chipset Z-pro i treat myself to a 970GTX.....it refuses to post, yet posts in friends machine. Has me n EVGA support stumped.....an older chipset but should manage it just fine. Cleared CMOAS no dice, it would boot once then never again......

We sent the card back over christmas hols on advanced RMA to Germany Dept, they have its replacement with me by New Years eve (not too shabby at all!)

The replacement comes, i fit and same deal......has me utterly stumped (and ready to kick small furry animals around the mancave!)......so out having a festive beer with a fellow tech, ###### i mention the issue thats driving me nuts....he pipes up, stupid Q but have you tried flashing your motherboards BIOS? Said I would but its at the latest as it is...he says, sod it flash with same version,. try that!

So half cut i go home and flash the bios with a version of the same bios......bingo!

Bloody thing posted everytime after that.......was rock solid ever since.

Spoke to EVGA support about it and we both agreed flashing the bios must have made the board recheck voltage requirements off the PCI-e 2.0 slot.......allowing it to post happily with the 970 (it replaced a 660Ti).

• Like 1

Slugsie    793
On 24/11/2017 at 2:33 AM, zhangm said:

I guess just to get the ball rolling, are the VGA displays blank even if they are the only display plugged into the computer?

VGA monitor is blank when no other monitors connected.

On 24/11/2017 at 2:39 AM, The Evil Overlord said:

I'm on my phone right now, so I haven't checked the links you've provided, first guess, is the card compatible/faulty? You mentioned it was a palit branded 1060, I'm unfamiliar with the card, though assume it should be identical spec to the evga version.

Having said that, I've noticed some palit cards (usually in the gt400 range) as inferior spec to evga or Asus versions of the same card.

Compatible with what? How would I check if it's faulty? I don't have access to any other monitors - especially not any DP monitors.

3 hours ago, LaP said:

I know it's stupid for me to ask but just in case. Are you sure you are in clone or extend desktop mode and not in single monitor mode? You can use keyboard shortcut win + p to check.

Often installing a new card will reset windows to single monitor. Anyway every time i installed a new card windows was reset to single monitor and it fooled me every time.

Yup, definitely in Extend Desktop mode.

3 hours ago, Mando said:

I've tried all the DP ports, same issue.

+Mando    3,896
2 minutes ago, Slugsie said:

I've tried all the DP ports, same issue.

what about instead of a converter, you get a cable with it in direct. 

have you tried?

https://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=7917&gclid=Cj0KCQiAjO_QBRC4ARIsAD2FsXPCcJE9cTgNPfPO-uktllBm5RXcNj5jrTYIbrwo6WaonZcT3MdQbYAaAumBEALw_wcB

ive used that brand at work on an older SXVGA Projector with success.

5 minutes ago, Slugsie said:

Compatible with what? How would I check if it's faulty? I don't have access to any other monitors - especially not any DP monitors.

I mean, is it listed as being able to run 3 or more displays?

One way to test this is by only having one display connected, then adding a second displays and see if it auto detects, or device manager detects 'new hardware' then repeat for the third.

(Past experience has taught me, that some 3rd party nvidias have a habit of only supporting 2 screens)

Slugsie    793
14 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

I mean, is it listed as being able to run 3 or more displays?

One way to test this is by only having one display connected, then adding a second displays and see if it auto detects, or device manager detects 'new hardware' then repeat for the third.

(Past experience has taught me, that some 3rd party nvidias have a habit of only supporting 2 screens)

Right now it only has 2 screens attached, and given it has 3 DP ports it seems unlikely it would only support 1 or 2 monitors. The second screen is detected (windows plays the new hardware sound) and it's listed in the Display settings. I can set appropriate resolutions and refresh rates. Just nothing shows on the monitor.

Monitors.thumb.png.40cadb4c57068a12318bf1988fcf648f.pngMonitors2.thumb.png.eb1cd9876d3e332bc38e6dc5759ee437.png

This is what Windows sees. Monitor 2 is my 24inch primary display connected to the DVI port on the GTX 1060. Monitor 3 (VGA) is connected to the 750ti and is working just fine. Monitor 1 (VGA) is connected to a DP port via an adaptor. It shows all the monitors details just fine, but no image.

Brandon H    1,497

obvious question but have you checked that you don't need to manually change the input to VGA on the monitor?

do the monitors work on other computers or if you don't use the DP adapter? (assuming you have a VGA port to use on the pc)

LaP    1,753

Are your monitors over 1080p60? Cause that's a passive adapter and you can't do more than 60Hz at 1080p with it.

• Like 1

+Mando    3,896
16 minutes ago, LaP said:

Are your monitors over 1080p60? Cause that's a passive adapter and you can't do more than 60Hz at 1080p with it.

Very good point, can you set the externals to 1080 60hz? see if they pop on? or lower. itll support standard VESA resolutions, even down to 640x480

Slugsie    793
56 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

obvious question but have you checked that you don't need to manually change the input to VGA on the monitor?

do the monitors work on other computers or if you don't use the DP adapter? (assuming you have a VGA port to use on the pc)

The secondaries monitors are VGA only. They were both working just fine before the upgrades.

55 minutes ago, LaP said:

They are 1280x1024. I have tried various resolutions from 800x600 (lowest listed) up to native, at both 60Hz and 75Hz. No joy.

+T3X4S    4,492

I can tell you in some situations there are limitations as to what combination of monitor connection you use.

Its a slightly different situation, but @ work I have 3 monitors, and I had to use only HDMI & DP.  If I tried using DVI, no image on that monitor.
Its slightly different because Im on laptop/docking station though.

I'm somewhat confused as well, your set up is somewhat similar to mine, sans display port set up.

My primary is hooked up to a GTX760, and the 2 side screens are running off a GT730, but I'm using dvi-hdmi converters, (DVI from card, hdmi cables to the screens) on a 5760X1080 resolution...

Just to troubleshoot, (and avoid spending more right now) can you try using older Nvidia software? Just to see if they all work on the older set of drivers?

Slugsie    793
5 hours ago, T3X4S said:

I can tell you in some situations there are limitations as to what combination of monitor connection you use.

Its a slightly different situation, but @ work I have 3 monitors, and I had to use only HDMI & DP.  If I tried using DVI, no image on that monitor.
Its slightly different because Im on laptop/docking station though.

Maybe, but as mentioned I have tried just a single vga monitor through the DP-VGA adaptor with no joy.

1 hour ago, The Evil Overlord said:

I'm somewhat confused as well, your set up is somewhat similar to mine, sans display port set up.

My primary is hooked up to a GTX760, and the 2 side screens are running off a GT730, but I'm using dvi-hdmi converters, (DVI from card, hdmi cables to the screens) on a 5760X1080 resolution...

Just to troubleshoot, (and avoid spending more right now) can you try using older Nvidia software? Just to see if they all work on the older set of drivers?

I've used similar setups in the past myself, hence why I'm confused. In fact I've been multi-monitoring since the beta of Windows 98, and this is the first time I've had such a problem. I'll try rolling back the drivers this evening.

I'm also going to try running my main display (which is DVI) on one of the DP ports using a DP-DVI adaptor, that way I'll be able to tell if the DP ports are functional. As a last resort I might just nick the card out of my daughters PC (it's a 4xx series Nvidia which runs 2 monitors similar to my side monitors just fine) and use that, she can have the 750Ti.

I'm hoping to upgrade my monitors next year, just need to recover from Christmas first.

Slugsie    793

I borrowed a HP branded DP-VGA adaptor and now the monitor is flickering and displaying it's start-up logo, then going blank, flickering, blank etc. It's as if it's detecting a signal, then losing it, shutting off, then detecting it again. I wonder if this is showing a fault on the DP side of the card - I've tried all 3 DP ports with the same result.

Anibal P    2,017
On 11/29/2017 at 7:50 PM, Slugsie said:

I borrowed a HP branded DP-VGA adaptor and now the monitor is flickering and displaying it's start-up logo, then going blank, flickering, blank etc. It's as if it's detecting a signal, then losing it, shutting off, then detecting it again. I wonder if this is showing a fault on the DP side of the card - I've tried all 3 DP ports with the same result.

If all 3 are doing it is extremely unlikely to be the card, likely the adapters, hence why so many of us avoid them and get proper DP - VGA cords or better screens 

+Mando    3,896
On 11/27/2017 at 9:42 PM, Mando said:

what about instead of a converter, you get a cable with it in direct. 

have you tried?

https://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=7917&gclid=Cj0KCQiAjO_QBRC4ARIsAD2FsXPCcJE9cTgNPfPO-uktllBm5RXcNj5jrTYIbrwo6WaonZcT3MdQbYAaAumBEALw_wcB

ive used that brand at work on an older SXVGA Projector with success.

^ the answers to your problem mate. ive got these going DP to VGA on dell optiplex 7010, 9010 and 3010s Dual DP ports to VGA without issue, one even displays 1080p via that cable. I avoid adapters whenever I can, especially if i need the display device to detect new computers in said meeting rooms. Infact more i think about it, i think i may have even used them both way round on users PC when the monitor has a DP but the desktop/laptop doesnt.