Odd laptop issue, battery charged fine one day, refused to charge the next

Recommended Posts

jnelsoninjax    9,184

I bought my daughter a ASUS X551MA 15.6 Inch Laptop from Amazon in March of 2016, and today she told me that it seems to not charge at all. She told me on Sunday it indicated that the battery was low and it needed to be recharged, so she plugged it in (over night) but come Monday the battery had not charged at all, and the computer would not turn on unless it was plugged in. She said Windows has given her no warning about the battery going bad, and that she only charges it when it tells her that it is low. The system will run while plugged in, but the battery shows 0% still, despite how ever long it remains plugged in. The system is no longer under warranty, and a replacement battery is not all that expensive ,but it requires disassembling the entire bottom of the computer and unplugging a ribbon cable, which she and the wife do not have the skills to do. I am wondering if the battery is the issue here, or is it something else entirely? I find it hard to believe that a battery will just die without warning in one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+The Evil Overlord    17,927

fubar battery, I feel confident in this, my old Clevo D9T did exactly that, and only worked while plugged in, the battery held zero charge.

You can walk them through it, it's relatively straightforward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jnelsoninjax    9,184
1 minute ago, The Evil Overlord said:

fubar battery, I feel confident in this, my old Clevo D9T did exactly that, and only worked while plugged in, the battery held zero charge.

You can walk them through it, it's relatively straightforward

I am sure that it is a easy process, but the wife will not do it, she wants me to do it, so she will ship it to me, have me replace the battery and send it back,., :/ but not until after Xmas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+The Evil Overlord    17,927
9 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I am sure that it is a easy process, but the wife will not do it, she wants me to do it, so she will ship it to me, have me replace the battery and send it back,., :/ but not until after Xmas.

Well, reading your sexist jokes, just put her straight, tell her who's boss and tell her to obey. Do this in the kitchen, where she'll have access to pans and knives.

 

lol don't do that, you'll die a horrible death

 

also, ask if it's been dropped recently,

now that I think about it, a drop could have jolted something loose

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+DevTech    923
19 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I bought my daughter a ASUS X551MA 15.6 Inch Laptop from Amazon in March of 2016, and today she told me that it seems to not charge at all. She told me on Sunday it indicated that the battery was low and it needed to be recharged, so she plugged it in (over night) but come Monday the battery had not charged at all, and the computer would not turn on unless it was plugged in. She said Windows has given her no warning about the battery going bad, and that she only charges it when it tells her that it is low. The system will run while plugged in, but the battery shows 0% still, despite how ever long it remains plugged in. The system is no longer under warranty, and a replacement battery is not all that expensive ,but it requires disassembling the entire bottom of the computer and unplugging a ribbon cable, which she and the wife do not have the skills to do. I am wondering if the battery is the issue here, or is it something else entirely? I find it hard to believe that a battery will just die without warning in one day.

Please read my comments on battery usage in the comments to this article (scroll down)

 

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-surface-book-2s-power-issues-are-a-feature-not-a-bug

 

How to kill a battery: "she only charges it when it tells her that it is low"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+The Evil Overlord    17,927
13 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Please read my comments on battery usage in the comments to this article (scroll down)

 

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-surface-book-2s-power-issues-are-a-feature-not-a-bug

 

How to kill a battery: "she only charges it when it tells her that it is low"

I've always disagreed with this, every device I've owned, I've let the lithium battery go dead before I recharged, jnelson might recall a screenshot I shared a while back with my, then 19 month old Oukitel still giving almost 10 days, on one charge. my 4 year old moto g will still give me up to 3 days standby depending on usage. 

I've been told countless times not to do this, (let the battery go dead) and yet, following that instruction, an old hp laptop I used to have (not the Clevo I mentioned earlier) I only used to get 40 minutes out of a charge, when it used to go a day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+DevTech    923
22 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

I've always disagreed with this, every device I've owned, I've let the lithium battery go dead before I recharged, jnelson might recall a screenshot I shared a while back with my, then 19 month old Oukitel still giving almost 10 days, on one charge. my 4 year old moto g will still give me up to 3 days standby depending on usage. 

I've been told countless times not to do this, (let the battery go dead) and yet, following that instruction, an old hp laptop I used to have (not the Clevo I mentioned earlier) I only used to get 40 minutes out of a charge, when it used to go a day

Your experience is totally opposite to my experience and totally opposite method to minimizing charge/discharge cycles which is the specified lifetime limit of Lithium Ion batteries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+The Evil Overlord    17,927
Just now, DevTech said:

Your experience is totally opposite to my experience and totally opposite method to minimizing charge/discharge cycles which is the specified lifetime limit of Lithium Ion batteries.

I know, I can't explain it neither. my iphone 3 still goes about a day and a half to 2 days (my youngest plays word cookies on it now), this is also the same method I use with my SGNote10.1 first gen, my iphone 7 and my Nokia 8, I've yet to see this be detrimental to the longevity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.