Sign in to follow this  

Mexico suffers deadliest month on record, 2017 set to be worst year

theyarecomingforyou    9,403
On 05/12/2017 at 12:25 AM, Emn1ty said:

And you're acting like the drug problem is an easy one to solve. It isn't, no matter how much you may think it is. I also like how you completely ignore my question about the ramifications of legalization. Is that because you didn't think through the possible negative effects of your proposed solution, or because you simply chose to ignore them?

It is easy to solve. You decriminalise recreational drugs—legalise the less harmful ones—and you focus resources on treatment for addiciton. Portugal did it to great success. Prohoibition on alcohol didn't work for the US yet it has kept up the prohibition on drugs for decades upon decades.

The issue I have is when the US takes a domestic issue and makes it an international one, collapsing sovereign nations because its own citizens are drug addicts. Maybe if the US invested in social programmes its citizens wouldn't feel the need to turn to drugs at the same rate. Imagine what cultural good could be done by spending $1 trillion.

• Like 1

techbeck    5,216
8 hours ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

It is easy to solve. You decriminalise recreational drugs—legalise the less harmful ones—and you focus resources on treatment for addiciton. Portugal did it to great success. Prohoibition on alcohol didn't work for the US yet it has kept up the prohibition on drugs for decades upon decades.

I am for decriminalizing all drugs.  People want to kill themselves, they will find a way to do so regardless.  War on drugs is unwinnable.  And in the case of legalizing marijuana, places where it is legal, prescription drug usage has dropped way down.

Emn1ty    3,280
13 hours ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

The issue I have is when the US takes a domestic issue and makes it an international one, collapsing sovereign nations because its own citizens are drug addicts. Maybe if the US invested in social programmes its citizens wouldn't feel the need to turn to drugs at the same rate. Imagine what cultural good could be done by spending $1 trillion.

I am not exactly against legalizing drugs, however I won't ignore the fact that legalization comes with its own drawbacks. It'll take lots of money to regulate them (taxation), and there will more than likely be an increase in collateral damage from them (such as DUI's). It all depends on how regulated/easily accessible the substances are.

Legalization does one very positive thing, it eliminates the black box that we have now. However, just because it brings things from the shadows to the forefront doesn't mean everything will work smoothly. Especially if we get poor enforcement of regulations/laws or poor performance/success rates with rehabilitation (something we already struggle with as a country).

There are a lot of people even near me who have just started lighting up on a near daily basis with pot despite it not even being legal yet, so don't rule out the percentage of the population who hasn't got a clue about the laws around using their substances.

techbeck    5,216
21 hours ago, Emn1ty said:

I am not exactly against legalizing drugs, however I won't ignore the fact that legalization comes with its own drawbacks. It'll take lots of money to regulate them (taxation), and there will more than likely be an increase in collateral damage from them (such as DUI's). It all depends on how regulated/easily accessible the substances are.

Appears alcohol related DUIs have dropped. 

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/12/29/after-states-legalized-medical-marijuana-traffic-deaths-fell.html

Of course marijuana DUIs will increase, but I do not think it is that much.  Or, they may increase initially with people who are trying marijuana for the first time or trying it because it is new and they want to experience it since it is now legal.  But it looks like after a while, the numbers drop.

Colorado marijuana DUIs drop 33 percent in the first quarter of 2017 compared with last year, but officials still concerned

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/17/marijuana-duis-drop/

Emn1ty    3,280
On 12/7/2017 at 10:11 AM, techbeck said:

Appears alcohol related DUIs have dropped. 

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/12/29/after-states-legalized-medical-marijuana-traffic-deaths-fell.html

Of course marijuana DUIs will increase, but I do not think it is that much.  Or, they may increase initially with people who are trying marijuana for the first time or trying it because it is new and they want to experience it since it is now legal.  But it looks like after a while, the numbers drop.

Colorado marijuana DUIs drop 33 percent in the first quarter of 2017 compared with last year, but officials still concerned

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/17/marijuana-duis-drop/

I'm not saying it won't balance out, I'm just saying the decision isn't free as some here seem to imply.