Sign in to follow this  

Saudi Arabias Arab Spring, at Last

DocM    12,891

NYT interview and op-ed about the Saudi new Crown Prince. Very interesting. Wow, even.

NY Times....

Saudi Arabias Arab Spring, at Last

The crown prince has big plans to bring back a level of tolerance to his society.

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia  I never thought Id live long enough to write this sentence: The most significant reform process underway anywhere in the Middle East today is in Saudi Arabia. Yes, you read that right. Though I came here at the start of Saudi winter, I found the country going through its own Arab Spring, Saudi style.

Unlike the other Arab Springs  all of which emerged bottom up and failed miserably, except in Tunisia  this one is led from the top down by the countrys 32-year-old crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman, and, if it succeeds, it will not only change the character of Saudi Arabia but the tone and tenor of Islam across the globe. Only a fool would predict its success  but only a fool would not root for it.

To better understand it I flew to Riyadh to interview the crown prince, known as M.B.S., who had not spoken about the extraordinary events here of early November, when his government arrested scores of Saudi princes and businessmen on charges of corruption and threw them into a makeshift gilded jail  the Riyadh Ritz-Carlton  until they agreed to surrender their ill-gotten gains. You don't see that every day.

We met at night at his familys ornate adobe-walled palace in Ouja, north of Riyadh. M.B.S. spoke in English, while his brother, Prince Khalid, the new Saudi ambassador to the U.S., and several senior ministers shared different lamb dishes and spiced the conversation. After nearly four hours together, I surrendered at 1:15 a.m. to M.B.S.'s youth, pointing out that I was exactly twice his age. It's been a long, long time, though, since any Arab leader wore me out with a fire hose of new ideas about transforming his country.
>

+FloatingFatMan    13,568

Sounds good. Here's hoping someone doesn't put a bullet in his head when he's not looking.