Ugh - I.T. Things that Annoy.

xendrome    4,507

People who print documents to take them back to the MFP and scan them back in, then attach them to a e-mail to show you something.

save... as... PDF... for god sake. Even if you don't know it is there, when you go to print there is a Print to PDF printer!!!

Oh and this.

6ETb4.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

+Mando    3,893

no more to add, you nailed them all.....oh wait 1 more.

Writing comprehensive guides with pretty pictures and sending out to staff as handy 2 page PDF guides.....to then be asked the next day by 50% of staff how to do something covered in the bloody guides! 

End User:- Jeesh! why are you so cranky? 

Site ADM :- Arrrrg your the 75th person today!

• Like 2

+DConnell    5,221

How about the way end users think restarting the computer is something horrible that you should never ever do. Or at least something that they need to call me to do for them ...

25% of my workload would go away if people would just bother to restart their d@mn computers!

• Like 2

+Mando    3,893
19 minutes ago, DConnell said:

How about the way end users think restarting the computer is something horrible that you should never ever do. Or at least something that they need to call me to do for them ...

25% of my workload would go away if people would just bother to restart their d@mn computers!

I send them......

smartphones-getting-stuck-5.thumb.jpg.85c09657e87063e2e5102225008b6e08.jpg

Heh my user guide is saved on the network as RTFM.pdf they even have a shortcut to it on their workspace, cos im nice like that :p 

Read The Full Manual (of course!)

My users know the cycle after 10yr :p

1) restart and log back in, does it fix it? IF "yes" do nothing, ELSE go to 2

2) raise a ticket (no ticket no issue)

3) IS your issue "business critical" (does it stop product leaving the building) If "yes" then email me also.

4) put your asset tag in ticket! (Location is not "my desk" or "your PC")

5) request an update? email/SFB me. 

There is also > https://mcpmag.com/articles/2012/04/10/how-to-restart-computers-remotely-via-powershell.aspx

• Like 1

techbeck    5,249

My main annoyance these days is co workers in IT.  Lack of documentation, support, info...whatever.  End users, been working in IT for 20+ years and used to most of their crap so it does not bother me to much these days.  Lack of  communication is also a big annoyance for me.

• Like 2

+Mando    3,893
1 hour ago, techbeck said:

My main annoyance these days is co workers in IT.  Lack of documentation, support, info...whatever.  End users, been working in IT for 20+ years and used to most of their crap so it does not bother me to much these days.  Lack of  communication is also a big annoyance for me.

know exactly what you mean mate, im verging on OCD with documentation. More I document, the more I dont HAVE to remember.

Even more so now its not just my own site I admin. If I have to tell more than 1 person 3 times how to do something, i knock up a short guide and fire it out.

My documentation should hopefully help the Global help-deskers, easing their dependence on me, i may not always be there. 

Way i see it is, wherever you work, improve the documentation and if you ever leave, you have left it in a far better state than you found it IMO.

• Like 1

xendrome    4,507

Problem is, documentation or KB's for internal users only help if they read them, they all want to have their hand held like I.T. support staff have nothing else to do.

• Like 1

+Mando    3,893
4 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Problem is, documentation or KB's for internal users only help if they read them, they all want to have their hand held like I.T. support staff have nothing else to do.

thankfully mine are aimed at techs/adm level for the majority.

But i know exactly what you mean, i have that issue just now with T1 helpdeskers, very keen but dont pay attention to detail or think of the bigger picture, and ofc dont read the KBs first, which grinds me gears lol

My local site users, are a joy tbh, all things in considered, they know the sequence and almost all adhere to it, no calls, no walk ins and no asking me stuff while im on my breaks, I dont do it to them so expect the same back :) been there for 10yrs so we are all first name terms.

techbeck    5,249
4 hours ago, Mando said:

know exactly what you mean mate, im verging on OCD with documentation. More I document, the more I dont HAVE to remember.

Even more so now its not just my own site I admin. If I have to tell more than 1 person 3 times how to do something, i knock up a short guide and fire it out.

My documentation should hopefully help the Global help-deskers, easing their dependence on me, i may not always be there. 

Way i see it is, wherever you work, improve the documentation and if you ever leave, you have left it in a far better state than you found it IMO.

I dont think anyone likes to create documentation.   I sure as hell dont.  Hate it.   But it is a necessary evil and when I need it, I am glad I have it.  My coworker....I think he thinks that if he does not document, it is some kind of job security.  Annoys and pisses me off.  I will also email every member on my team about an issue and how to resolve it if it becomes a problem.  Just takes a second or two to do so.  But my helpdesk at my work...they are a disaster.

4 hours ago, xendrome said:

Dont get me started on the helpdesk at my work.  Dell tech support is less painful.  Luckily, I dont have to deal with them but I hear complaints all the time.  I send them step by step instructions a blind person could follow, and they still manage to screw something up.

zhangm    1,232

I recently ran into an equipment issue, not exactly computer/software. The manual was not helpful, and the first-tier support folks on the phone weren't able to offer any tips. Had to call in a field engineer.

It turned out to be a dirty sticker (for measuring RPM).

Now I know what it feels like to call tech support and having the problem be that it's not plugged in. :blush:

Skiver    1,788
14 hours ago, xendrome said:

Oh, I love this attitude, especially when it comes to the "but if you don't we can't do our job!!!!" statements.

Guess what, I also have a job, 90% of it is not sitting and holding your hand, I have projects too!

• Like 1

Jim K    9,214

Guess my favorite story (PACS) is when the ER doctor called saying that his Barco monitors would not come up.  

"Did you press the power button.  Is the computer on?"

"Yes"

"OK, I'll be right down"

...goes down and the computer is off.  Presses power button...lives saved.  :) 

Though a bit annoying ... those simple issues always made me a bit happy (in that they weren't bigger issues).  

• Like 1

Nick H.    8,016

One that kept coming up at my last place was with the Windows Remote Assistance. You'd send them the invite, connect to their computer and then watch the mouse move over to close the remote assistance box. The number of times you'd hear myself or a colleague on the phone saying, "ok, and now another box will appear to allow me to take contr- nononononoNONO...ok, well you've just disconnected me. Let's start again." A very minor annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless.

+Mando    3,893
2 hours ago, Nick H. said:

One that kept coming up at my last place was with the Windows Remote Assistance. You'd send them the invite, connect to their computer and then watch the mouse move over to close the remote assistance box. The number of times you'd hear myself or a colleague on the phone saying, "ok, and now another box will appear to allow me to take contr- nononononoNONO...ok, well you've just disconnected me. Let's start again." A very minor annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless.

my biggest beef in that aspect is MS "genius" idea to block UAC prompts via Skype for business screen sharing....tards!

sc302    1,440

don't need quotes...if it is relevant it does actually come up in the first few hits...."the google" is good like that.

I can count on less than 1 finger how many times I use quotes in a search for the month...I can count on less than 5 fingers how many times I use quotes in a year. 

I do use quotes every so often, but it isn't that often at all.

hp 477

brings up hits for my printer without quotes.

hp 477 driver

brings up the driver page on the first hit without quotes.

Som    357
On 27/11/2017 at 5:45 PM, xendrome said:

People who print documents to take them back to the MFP and scan them back in, then attach them to a e-mail to show you something.

save... as... PDF... for god sake. Even if you don't know it is there, when you go to print there is a Print to PDF printer!!!

i got that beat.  I've had people who have taken screenshots of a photo they took on their phone and emailed me the screenshot instead of the original photo

• Haha 1

techbeck    5,249
49 minutes ago, Som said:

i got that beat.  I've had people who have taken screenshots of a photo they took on their phone and emailed me the screenshot instead of the original photo

I got that beat....I had a user email support a virus after we notified to delete immediately.  Long story short, we had to go through another round of scans and removals.

+DConnell    5,221

I once had a woman ask if an attachment was safe. I scanned it, opened it and discovered it contained nothing but a web link. Obvious phishing attempt. I emailed her back and told her to delete the email. Five minutes later I get a reply that the link was blocked... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

xendrome    4,507
On 11/29/2017 at 10:34 PM, DConnell said:

I once had a woman ask if an attachment was safe. I scanned it, opened it and discovered it contained nothing but a web link. Obvious phishing attempt. I emailed her back and told her to delete the email. Five minutes later I get a reply that the link was blocked... 

Yeah it's amazing when I get an alert for something high threat blocked by our AV and when it is a high threat it shows on the users screen as well. But never receive a phone call. So I give them 10 mins and then call them, usually telling them they have infected the whole network to get a reaction... lol

jnelsoninjax    9,181

av7jnMW_700b.jpg

• Thanks 1

AStalUK    58

Reading stories like these make me smile knowing I’m not the only one.

I once spoke to a user in the mornings about an issue printing from a Remote Desktop on XP which caused the program to crash, the PC needed updating to SP3, nowing it would be a lengthy update I said I’d do it in the evening once they had gone.

Later that day I was talking to a director I had someone walk into the office saying they had so and so on the phone and they weren’t able to use their PC because of a power cut would I be able to do the update.  At this point I just wanted to cry.

xendrome    4,507
22 hours ago, AStalUK said:

Reading stories like these make me smile knowing I’m not the only one.

I once spoke to a user in the mornings about an issue printing from a Remote Desktop on XP which caused the program to crash, the PC needed updating to SP3, nowing it would be a lengthy update I said I’d do it in the evening once they had gone.

Later that day I was talking to a director I had someone walk into the office saying they had so and so on the phone and they weren’t able to use their PC because of a power cut would I be able to do the update.  At this point I just wanted to cry.

What's even better is when you agree to process a large update or software install after hours and you remind them via voice and e-mail to leave their computer on, and first thing they do is shut it off when they leave.

• Like 1

+Mando    3,893
7 hours ago, xendrome said:

What's even better is when you agree to process a large update or software install after hours and you remind them via voice and e-mail to leave their computer on, and first thing they do is shut it off when they leave.

or laptop users agreeing, then walking out the door with their laptop and thinking i can magically fix their issue without being a) onsite or b) even powered on and online at home! 

another is "I have a dodgy email, what should i do?" email it to reportspam@<domain>.com then cc me in! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo the majority of my users are Biomedical Research Scientists with Multiple Degrees, Bscs etc full of brains but ZERO common sense :p 

I had a belter today, user got in touch to say, "computer is not accepting my password, i know im typing it right because i jotted it down in my note book...."

• me "Sorry you did wha? you do realise if you do, dont tell me as its rule number one you DONT do pal!" :- "and DONT TELL THE FDA AUDITOR ONSITE THAT!"
  • me " Erm Perhaps you wrote it down wrong?"
  • Them "no, im not stupid you know!"
  • me "Dear <user>, Computers are basic IPO systems, if you input crap, it processes crap and outputs crap!" 
  • me "would you like me to reset it for you?"
  • them "no, just tell me what it is!"
  • me " im sorry all i can see is ******" maybe its that!"
  • me "what name does it say on the login screen"
  • them "erm................not my name"
  • me "there you go, BINGO! bye!"
  • me "also, while I have you on the phone <user> I no longer support your site, im doing this as a favour to you, contact GSD next time please"
  • them "ugh, damm IT"
  • me (after phones put down) "w**ker!"
  • Boss "LOL!!"

• Like 1