Recommendations for Windows 10 software to format SDXC cards in FAT32?

Cyber Akuma    1

The SDXC standard states that all SDXC cards need to be formatted in exFat. I have some older devices that have no problems reading cards over 32GB, but don't support exFat, so I need to format the cards in FAT32.

Thing is, Windows itself hasen't supported creating a partition over 32GB in FAT32 for years now, and the official SD Formatting tool does not allow you to choose the filesystem you want to format to, forcing you to use FAT32 if the card is SDHC or exFAT if the card is SDXC.

So I have been looking at 3rd party tools (freeware ones specifically) but nearly all of them are designed with harddrives in mind, can anyone recommend any that would format a SDcard with the right allocation unit size and other such settings? I have seen both "EaseUS Partition Master" and "FAT32 Format" recommended, but both of those seem to be created with harddrives in mind, and the second one appears to just be a GUI frontend to Windows commandline apps.

+goretsky    771

Hello,

Just to check, have you tried using the SD Association's own SD Memory Card Formatter Utility?  Usually, I just use the device (smartphone, tablet, etc.) in question that I'm going to use the Micro SDXC card to format it, but if it has problems, I'll first try erasing the partitioning information from it on my computer via the DiskPart (filename: DISKPART.EXE) command by issuing a "clean" command for the device, and then try formatting it again in the device .

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Cyber Akuma    1

The Format Utility is the first thing I tried, the issue is it doesn't let you choose a filesystem, it chooses for you.

satukoro    914

I highly recommend GParted for most-if-not-all drive format management: https://gparted.org/liveusb.php

Use rufus to put gparted on a small flash drive (1GB+) and use that to boot. Alternatively, a live Ubuntu or Debian cd should have gparted preinstalled.

Putting this sort of tool on a spare flash drive has saved me more than a few times in a pinch.

Circaflex    3,135

@Cyber Akuma I had this problem when I was modding my WiiU, I have used the utility guiformat without any problems. I have uploaded it to my onedrive, https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aj5chVGuCpw9gbkdKXjibyiCLHgWFA, unzip the file and open the program. I used this on a 64GB drive that is now formatted fat32.

• Like 1

Cyber Akuma    1
16 hours ago, Circaflex said:

@Cyber Akuma I had this problem when I was modding my WiiU, I have used the utility guiformat without any problems. I have uploaded it to my onedrive, https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aj5chVGuCpw9gbkdKXjibyiCLHgWFA, unzip the file and open the program. I used this on a 64GB drive that is now formatted fat32.

Yeah, I wound up using guiformat. I was a little skeptical about using it since it's intended for harddrives and just a frontend for an existing CLI FAT32 format tool, but it worked.

Also funny you mentioned the WiiU, that is definitely not the reason I wanted to format a SDXC card to FAT32, nope, not at all...