• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Hypothetical PC Build

Mindovermaster    1,368

Remember, hypothetical only. I do not have enough money, atm, and I already have a beastly system. (see sig) This is more a discussion, than a real "Computer Build" thread.

What I want to know...

Most of you know of this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102166&cm_re=intel_nuc_canyon-_-56-102-166-_-Product

The Intel NUC Skull Canyon NUC6i7KYK Kit with 6th Gen. Intel Core i7 Processor, etc.

Or perhaps this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102179&cm_re=intel_nuc_canyon-_-56-102-179-_-Product

With a 7th Gen CPU.

I know these CPUs are laptop-grade, so they don't match up to the big boys.

I have heard around, that it is a waste of money, its tiny parts really do not play up to the big boys, GFX performance is bad, etc. etc. What I want to know, is there a desktop equivalent that can top that? Small size? Low power? But with better GFX than onboard?

I have read up on the "Thin Mini-ITX" motherboards. And they are small compact, but they normally don't have a PCI-E port.

Can you build something like this that has more potential? Let's try to keep at max $500. As the above are barebones, HDD/SSD/M.2 and RAM do not matter in this configuration.

I think I included everything... If not, ask.

+DevTech    1,201

Your objective for this computer is missing

Mindovermaster    1,368

Dam, I knew I forgot something... :/

I want something that will match up to these NUCs, while not going over $1k.

+DevTech    1,201
55 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Dam, I knew I forgot something... :/

I want something that will match up to these NUCs, while not going over $1k.

Home Theatre?

Media Server?

Smart Mirror?

Windows 10 IOT?

Motorcycle AI?

Drone AI?

Cruise Missle?

Clustered Render Farm?

?

Mindovermaster    1,368

Just for basic use, room for a little gaming. Look at my system in my sig. That is what I am talking about.

+DevTech    1,201
1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

Just for basic use, room for a little gaming. Look at my system in my sig. That is what I am talking about.

So you want to replace your current config with a smaller footprint system that takes less desk space or floor space or wall space?

Without a serious space reduction requirement, all your current system needs is a modern GPU card.

Mindovermaster    1,368

I already have a GPU in thought. The 1060. But, like I said, can I get the system with a small footprint?

Circaflex    3,354

Get a NUC that supports thunderbolt 3, add-on graphics card via thunderbolt 3.

• Like 2

d5aqoëp    658
13 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Get a NUC that supports thunderbolt 3, add-on graphics card via thunderbolt 3.

End of topic. But make sure whichever NUC or small form factor pc has Thunderbolt 3 as well as quad core CPU.

I was saddened to find only 2 cores in my latest NUC7i5BNH. Hell even i7 NUC of 2017 are dual cores only. Intel stoops to such lower levels to make profit.

But the blame is on me because I assumed it to be quad core being an i5.

+DevTech    1,201
1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

I already have a GPU in thought. The 1060. But, like I said, can I get the system with a small footprint?

It feels like we are working for the CIA here on a "need to know" basis as objectives and design considerations dribble out bit by bit.

It appears the the objective is mainly an abstract artistic aesthetic to make a mighty power micro-machine that fits in the palm of you hand and weighs less than the HDMI cable to its monitor.

I'm thinking some sort of liquid nitrogen based HyperCube that folds space would permit immense power while lighting up the surrounding acre with Hawking radiation for proper high tech vibes.

Downside is that you may need to wear a lead Hazmat suit to operate it. :)

Mockingbird    2,313

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($189.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: *CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($26.90 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: *ASRock - AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: *G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Western Digital - WD Blue 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Video Card: *Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Mini Video Card  ($448.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design - Node 202 HTPC Case w/450W Power Supply  ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $993.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-01 01:30 EST-0500

Edited by Mockingbird
  • Like 1

saurabhdua    40
3 hours ago, DevTech said:

Home Theatre?

Media Server?

Smart Mirror?

Windows 10 IOT?

Motorcycle AI?

Drone AI?

Cruise Missle?

Clustered Render Farm?

?

A Bitcoin generator ?

+DevTech    1,201
35 minutes ago, saurabhdua said:

A Bitcoin generator ?

He wants something really small which precludes a bitcoin generator.

I don't think it is possible without laptop components soldered to a tiny board such as a 1060 chip with something or other or the Project Scorpio AMD chip in the Xbox One X.

The ITX with external GPU is just going to look like an ugly duckling and the NUC is going to have a heart attack on any GPU stuff.

Wait 2 years?

+DevTech    1,201

2017 gets you i7 and 1080 soldered to mobo but more like a Mac Mini than a NUC.

I'm thinking 2 more years might do it to get a pocket rocket. It won't go into space, but it will literally fit in your pocket!

ZOTAC MAGNUS EN1080K 4K Gaming Liquid Cooled Mini PC VR Ready Features Intel Kaby Lake Core i7-7700 Quad-core CPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Graphics ZOTAC Spectra Technology Barebones No Memory/Storage/OS - ZBOX-EN1080K-U

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173144&cm_re=single_board_computer-_-56-173-144-_-Product

ZOTAC ZBOX MAGNUS EN1060K Gaming Mini PC, ZBOX-EN1060K-U, Intel Kaby Lake Core i5-7500T Quad-core CPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Graphics VR Ready Whisper Quiet Ultra Compact 4K Quad Display Barebones No Memory/Storage/OS

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173145&cm_re=single_board_computer-_-56-173-145-_-Product

image.thumb.png.d680eeefaefbafd666e7e8c6d3e4a862.png

GeForce® GTX 1080 Mini ITX 8G 

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1080IX-8GD#kf

image.thumb.png.09358beeb17be036afe6e1c86e3cb393.png

Jim K    10,144

Closed per OP request.

• Like 1