• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Yet another PC Build

Recommended Posts

T3X4S    4,531

Neowins - 

I need some help.
I havent kept up with things the last couple of years & am going to upgrade some things for XMAS.

I need :
Intel CPU
ASUS Mobo
RAM 

H2O closed loop cooler


But dont know what the best intel CPU is under $500.

 

Thx




 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Terry504    18

Socket ?

 

socket 1151...Intel Core i7-8700K..my guess..$400 or so

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mando    5,114

If it was me personally, id be looking toward.

  • i7 8700K :)
  • Asus Maximus or the Strix Range is good (i went strix Gaming boards, cheaper with 99% of the features of the maximus)
  • Corsair PC3200+ ram
  • Corsair 115i H2O if your case can take the 140mm fans mate. 
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,413

When you asking for advises, it shouldn't start with "I need: W processor, X motherboard, Y memory, and Z cooler".

 

It should start with what the intentions are (along with the budget).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
T3X4S    4,531
4 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

When you asking for advises, it shouldn't start with "I need: W processor, X motherboard, Y memory, and Z cooler".

 

It should start with what the intentions are.

Well, since I dont know what "advises" are - I'll just ignore your post.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,413
9 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Well, since I dont know what "advises" are - I'll just ignore your post.

You are not really looking for advises.

 

You are just going to say, "I am going to buy W, X, Y, Z" and want people to pad you on the back and say that you've made the right choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K    10,732

Mockingbird, you aren't being helpful.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
T3X4S    4,531
16 hours ago, Mando said:

If it was me personally, id be looking toward.

  • i7 8700K :)
  • Asus Maximus or the Strix Range is good (i went strix Gaming boards, cheaper with 99% of the features of the maximus)
  • Corsair PC3200+ ram
  • Corsair 115i H2O if your case can take the 140mm fans mate. 

8700K does look nice - and cheap!  Thanks.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
T3X4S    4,531
16 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

You are not really looking for advises.

 

You are just going to say, "I am going to buy W, X, Y, Z" and want people to pad you on the back and say that you've made the right choice.

LOL - again - assuming you mean "advice" - well... you're wrong.  I dont know what CPU to get because I dont follow this stuff like I used to.  
So, in lieu of doing a bunch of reading and wasting time on nonsensical factors, meaningless benchmarks, and talks about limitations on OCing - I'll just defer to people who know about this stuff, and base my decisions on their due diligence.
My plan was to listen to what ADVICE was given, consider its source, and make my decision based on that.
So far,  @Jim K's ADVICE is very helpful, as well as @Mando I took a quick look & considered his posts in the past - I like that option.
As far as a pat on the back for a purchase... its a CPU, not a house or a mutual fund.

11 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Mockingbird, you aren't being helpful.

Its OK - I kind of enjoy it - his posts serve as reinforcement for my feelings toward him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K    10,732

I think you meant Mando's advise.  I would have suggested the same thing though ... but he beat me to it.  At least you had somewhat of a budget (500 dollar CPU led me to believe you were willing to purchase other ... higher end components).  But yea...Mando beat me.  :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Astra.Xtreme    2,436

If you're going for a gaming rig, I wouldn't go too crazy on a CPU. An i7 won't be much better than an i5 for gaming, and you'd be better off putting the money towards a GPU.  If you'll do encoding or virtualization, then yeah i7 is a good choice.

RAM and motherboard especially don't do you much good.  Get a quality brand, but don't fall into the gimmicky looks and "features".  Neither affect performance much.

 

Get a quality and efficient PSU, if you don't already have one.  Seasonic make very high quality ones.  Worth the little extra cost vs others.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
T3X4S    4,531
6 minutes ago, Jim K said:

I think you meant Mando's advise.  I would have suggested the same thing though ... but he beat me to it.  At least you had somewhat of a budget (500 dollar CPU led me to believe you were willing to purchase other ... higher end components).  But yea...Mando beat me.  :) 

LOL - I just caught that - ninja edit skills aren't up to snuff.

 

6 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

If you're going for a gaming rig, I wouldn't go too crazy on a CPU. An i7 won't be much better than an i5 for gaming, and you'd be better off putting the money towards a GPU.  If you'll do encoding or virtualization, then yeah i7 is a good choice.

RAM and motherboard especially don't do you much good.  Get a quality brand, but don't fall into the gimmicky looks and "features".  Neither affect performance much.

 

Get a quality and efficient PSU, if you don't already have one.  Seasonic make very high quality ones.  Worth the little extra cost vs others.

$330 for an i7 is great IMO - Yes I usually have some VMs for tinkering .
RAM - I usually stick w/ Hyper X or Corsair - 
PSU - I still have a 3 year old 1000W Seasonic Platinum - I'll keep it.

My current rig has an old Samsung 850Evo 500GB which I will give to family member or sell to someone else and go with a 1TB 960 Pro I think.
My data drive is a 4TB UltraStar - I'll keep it for now - but eventually will move away from spinning drives altogether.

This is more of an upgrade as opposed to a new build.  Sure the major parts are being replaced, but I'll keep the case and the grfx card & PSU for now.

Honestly, I think this thread is done - if the 8700K is only $330 - and there isnt anything much better below $500 - then my mind is made up. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,413
17 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Mockingbird, you aren't being helpful.

Well, I don't need to help him.

 

He already has it figured out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
T3X4S    4,531
3 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Well, I don't need to help him.

 

He already has it figured out.

Yes - after help from @Mando& @Jim K... & @Astra.Xtreme:)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Astra.Xtreme    2,436
13 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Honestly, I think this thread is done - if the 8700K is only $330 - and there isnt anything much better below $500 - then my mind is made up. :)

That's a really solid price for an i7.  Intel is bringing their A-game to the CPU war these days.

 

If you want to have a little fun with the upgrade, you could consider this thing: https://www.nzxt.com/product-overview/kraken-g12

I put one in recently, and it was a nice decrease in noise, and it makes the GPU look tiny without the big ass fan block on it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
T3X4S    4,531
1 minute ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

That's a really solid price for an i7.  Intel is bringing their A-game to the CPU war these days.

 

If you want to have a little run with the upgrade, you could consider this thing: https://www.nzxt.com/product-overview/kraken-g12

I put one in recently, and it was a nice decrease in noise, and it makes the GPU look tiny without the big ass fan block on it.

Oh thats brilliant - thanks !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mando    5,114
8 hours ago, T3X4S said:

8700K does look nice - and cheap!  Thanks.

your welcome buddy, glad to help. If you need the dimensions etc of the 115i, just shout mate my sig rig has one fitted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mando    5,114
8 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

You are not really looking for advises.

 

You are just going to say, "I am going to buy W, X, Y, Z" and want people to pad you on the back and say that you've made the right choice.

Err he asked what Intel CPU he should go for, asking for help.  Hes chosen the intel stable, its his call and his choice.

 

Working with VMs this is still better on intel fabs. fact.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
satukoro    1,345

This thread is making me impatient waiting for all my parts to come in. Most things should be here today, but my GPU is looking like it'll take another week to get here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Zag L.    493

T3X4S, head over to microcenter to take advantage of the bundle. You can pick up an 8700K and a Z370 mb for about for $610 (depending on the MB) plus tax. That's not a bad deal. If you don't see a MB that you want, the CPU alone is just 399.99

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mando    5,114
15 hours ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

That's a really solid price for an i7.  Intel is bringing their A-game to the CPU war these days.

 

If you want to have a little fun with the upgrade, you could consider this thing: https://www.nzxt.com/product-overview/kraken-g12

I put one in recently, and it was a nice decrease in noise, and it makes the GPU look tiny without the big ass fan block on it.

ooooh :D I want, although "Santa" is hopefully bringing me the EVGA 1080ti FE H20 block........i like the idea of replacing the entire shroud :D  i have an EVGA F.E. 1080ti :) Silent gaming to match my 7700k silent running at 4.8ghz core clock :D

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
T3X4S    4,531
On 12/4/2017 at 8:00 AM, Zag L. said:

T3X4S, head over to microcenter to take advantage of the bundle. You can pick up an 8700K and a Z370 mb for about for $610 (depending on the MB) plus tax. That's not a bad deal. If you don't see a MB that you want, the CPU alone is just 399.99

Nice !  Thanks - I havent been over to MicroCenter in a while - but that is usually my de facto brick & mortar.  Fry's is 5 minutes from my office, but if I have a question - asking someone @ Fry's is pointless (if I can find someone who speaks English) - the folks @ MicroCenter are knowledgeable.  

My mind is made up - thanks to all who have helped.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.