• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Dust Cleaning Video Card on Asus G11CD Desktop

Question

bikeman25    46

Hi All

Wondering how I would go about dust cleaning a 2 slot video card, (also card has a bracket supporting it I guess it does)  anyways it's been a few months now since September so thinking I should probably prepare for dust clean out,  only issue is first 2 slot video card ever had, and first one ever with a bracket like this one has,  I can get pictures with my cell phone tomorrow if need be, and just do the dust clean out for starters with CPU Fan and exhaust fan and power supply parts, and save video card if need be

13 answers to this question

Mindovermaster    1,394
12 minutes ago, bikeman25 said:

Hi All

Wondering how I would go about dust cleaning a 2 slot video card, (also card has a bracket supporting it I guess it does)  anyways it's been a few months now since September so thinking I should probably prepare for dust clean out,  only issue is first 2 slot video card ever had, and first one ever with a bracket like this one has,  I can get pictures with my cell phone tomorrow if need be, and just do the dust clean out for starters with CPU Fan and exhaust fan and power supply parts, and save video card if need be

What... Sounds like English isn't your first language...

Anyway, all you need is canned air. It will blow out the dust on your card, and the rest of your board, which you probably need, anyway.

• Like 1

bikeman25    46

English is first language, just newer machine and a little bit on nervous side first 2 slot card ever, and probably do need to conduct dust clean out, been a few months now, so probably time, or maybe not time.

Bracket is in front of the card area, like on the side, next to side panel, little hard to explain it, but i'm trying

That is what I meant by Bracket on the card, I can try to get a better picture tomorrow with cell if need be

G11CD internal picture.jpg

Mindovermaster    1,394

"the first 2 slot card ever"

That is very bad English...

Bracket is probably just used to hold it down. It can be removed easily.

bikeman25    46

Oh ok, well still learning and sorry for the bad English there.   

Mindovermaster    1,394

Did you put this computer together yourself? Looks like a beefy computer...

bikeman25    46

This Computer was a Prebuilt system purchased September 2017,  Asus G11CD,  was just  gonna upgrade video card in my older AMD FX, but figured might bottleneck The FX 8310 Processor, so decided on whole system upgrade, and converted old one to Windows Insider tester machine for now.    Still learning on new one here and there, but overall very happy with it

+goretsky    876

Hello,

You might want to check online to see if there are any web pages or videos devoted to replacing the heatsink and fan on your particular brand and model of video card.  Even though you are not doing this, they will explain how to disassemble the video card so that you have access to all of the circuit board and the fan assembly.  From there, you can clean everything with compressed air, isopropyl alcohol, a small paint brush to get into corners (many computer cleaning kits come with an anti-static brush, which I'd recommend) and lint-free wipes like Kimwipes or coffee filters. 

If you do end disassembling the video card, you will need to remove all of the thermal paste from both the chips and the heatsink and apply new thermal paste.  I like Arctic Silver 5, and have also used Antec's Formula 6 and Formula 7 pastes when that wasn't available.

Check the fan(s) on the video card to make sure they spin freely when tapped very lightly with a finger.  If they do not, then they should be replaced as well.  If you cannot figure out what sort of replacement fan you need from searching on the markings on it, search on "brand + model of video card replacement fan" and look at the results.

The key thing is work slowly and take your time so you don't have to do this again for a few more years.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

PsYcHoKiLLa    2,020

As advised above, compressed air is your best bet for just clearing dust. Don't hold the can too close to the fan though and don't spin it too fast as you can damage it. Only do short bursts with the can as you can end up leaving liquid on the card. For any heatsink you should be able to hold the can closer and give short sharp bursts, obviously take the card out of the PC first and mebbe even outside.

A more permanent solution might be something I purchased recently, the Compucleaner, I bought the pro version which is black and has slightly higher wattage. For people who do this quite a lot it's a good long term solution and it's very powerful, have a look on YouTube for some demo vids. If you are just cleaning the video card and just the once you might just want to get a can of compressed air.

• Like 1

+Mando    5,113

use a cotton bud to make sure you dont overspin the cooling fan, then use compressed air. Basically wedge the head of it in the fan blades so as not to damage the motor of the fan.

If anyone smokes in the near vicinity of the machine, you may find it doesnt shift sticky dust bunnies, in that respect, I usually disassemble the cards shroud, clean then re-assemble(remembering where each screw goes)

To minimise dust ingress in future, see if you can fit foam filter pads to the intake fans (ideally on the front of the fans). Just remember to clean these pads regularly.

• Like 1

Mindovermaster    1,394
54 minutes ago, Mando said:

use a cotton bud to make sure you dont overspin the cooling fan, then use compressed air. Basically wedge the head of it in the fan blades so as not to damage the motor of the fan.

I heard someone that uses Quips. Easy to hold the fan.

bikeman25    46

Thanks for all the replies, do have Q tips around here, and may have cotton balls,  In any case I will figure it out, and get it properly done, and find a day where I can take my time and not have to rush or anything.  

Temps for CPU right now idle is between 26C with stock Fan (whatever Asus used when built this PC)

GPU Temp 21C right now, last night when running Secondlife 3D game, GPU Temp was 31C,  so don't think too in a hurry for dust clean out as yet, but am gonna get it done in the coming days here, and should be all fine

+Mando    5,113
5 minutes ago, bikeman25 said:

Thanks for all the replies, do have Q tips around here, and may have cotton balls,  In any case I will figure it out, and get it properly done, and find a day where I can take my time and not have to rush or anything.  

Temps for CPU right now idle is between 26C with stock Fan (whatever Asus used when built this PC)

GPU Temp 21C right now, last night when running Secondlife 3D game, GPU Temp was 31C,  so don't think too in a hurry for dust clean out as yet, but am gonna get it done in the coming days here, and should be all fine

31C on GPU in any 3Dmode is decent, no action required.

bikeman25    46

Ohh excellent!!

Do keep PC and room as cool as I can, and as dust free as I possibly can, so think that helps out a lot as well,  being my first intel system in years, still have a lot to re learn on the platform, and such, but overall system peforms great, and will make sure it always does.