Not interested in Neowin anymore

texas_signmaker    25

I've been visiting Neowin for over 15 years and during the last 2-3 years I've felt the news content has gone seriously down-hill.  I feel like every other post is trying to sell me something.  I'm interested in less then 5% of the news posts.  Right now there is a post about some game character I've never heard of making a cameo in another game that I've never heard of.  The AMOUNT of news posts is up but the quality is DOWN.  Overwhelmingly the posts are selling something or about some "deal".  Seriously they are just posting anything now.

I'm not sure if the people posting are just trying to get as much posted as they can, but they need to realize that I'm not alone in my feeling.  I used to see most stories get comments on them but many now don't because they are not interesting.  I feel like scrolling the main page is like visiting some scam website with ads every two seconds about stories selling me stuff.  Feel "fake news-y" 

I wish the content would get back to where it was.  I really enjoyed Neowin but feel it's total junk now.  Please get it back to where it was!  Reduce the ads and amount of news posts and raise the bar again!

• Like 12

Barney T.    2,166

Sorry that you feel that way. I've been a member here for many years also and find that the community makes this site, not the ads or deals. Subscribing to the site reduces these tremendously, but that is for each member to decide. I've always found answers to the questions that I asked here, both as a member and as a staffer. There are areas of this site that I do not follow, and every website has their share of trolls who are mostly members who come and go, but in all, I think that most members are genuine in their desire to help the Neowin community. 

• Like 1

cork1958    1,132

Not saying I totally agree with you, but I can see where you're coming from. With all the stories about games and phones, which don't interest me what so ever, and usually get very few comments also, kind of makes it apparent that they don't interest to many others also.

Have to ask this, but how is it that you've been here for 15 years and this is your first post? Did you change your name just to post this so no one knew who you were?

Site has been very helpful when ever I've had to ask a question though.

texas_signmaker    25

I mostly read the news and not participated in the forms.  I did participate in the news comments but since I've been not interested in the postings I've stopped visiting as much and forgot my login.

I'm not posting this to be rude or "troll".  I really enjoyed Neowin and was a daily visitor and reader of the news.  I don't think I'm alone in feeling this way about the site but I wanted to post this in hopes of someone rethinking the direction of the news.  Maybe this is the direction Neowin wants to go and I'm out of luck but I wanted to make my concern known.   From the amount of news comments I think I may be right and wanted to bring this to Neowin's attention.  Hopefully this would start a conversation and if others feel the same way maybe Neonwin could react to those concerns.  

My suggestions would be to reduce the amount of "check out this sale" posts, posts about games and all the posts about every single model of phone that comes out along with "updates" about every single model is overwhelming, maybe stick to the big models?

I'm not questioning the helpfulness of the forum members, I don't participate so I just don't know.  If the above post does that I'm sorry.  I'm only posting about the news content, has nothing to do with members.

Edited by texas_signmaker

theyarecomingforyou    9,488

Recently it has become a case of quantity over quality. On Friday there were 40 articles posted, with most having little in the way of community activity. I mean, why are there even articles about games being released on the Nintendo Switch? There doesn't seem to be any focus these days.

It would be better for the mainpage to focus on important stories and trivial articles consigned to sub-pages.

• Like 4

+warwagon    10,279

I do feel there have been A LOT of postings per day, it also feels like quantity over substance. One day I wanted to find an article I felt like I had just read. Went i went to the front page to find it and I had to scoll and scroll and scroll and scroll, I was just jesus..

• Like 1

texas_signmaker    25

I'm glad I'm not alone in this feeling.  I know that there is a less then 0.001% chance that my post would have ANY effect on the decision of news on this site, but it is better then 0%.

Maybe limit the amount of posts about games to 2 or something?  Same with phones.  Maybe that will force them to choose the best story and prevent them from posting 10 game "news" stories in a span of an hour.   Back a few years ago there were only like 6-10 articles posted a day.

• Like 1

+The Evil Overlord    18,160

4 hours ago, texas_signmaker said:

I mostly read the news and not participated in the forms.  I did participate in the news comments but since I've been not interested in the postings I've stopped visiting as much and forgot my login.

I'm not posting this to be rude or "troll".  I really enjoyed Neowin and was a daily visitor and reader of the news.  I don't think I'm alone in feeling this way about the site but I wanted to post this in hopes of someone rethinking the direction of the news.  Maybe this is the direction Neowin wants to go and I'm out of luck but I wanted to make my concern known.   From the amount of news comments I think I may be right and wanted to bring this to Neowin's attention.  Hopefully this would start a conversation and if others feel the same way maybe Neonwin could react to those concerns.  

My suggestions would be to reduce the amount of "check out this sale" posts, posts about games and all the posts about every single model of phone that comes out along with "updates" about every single model is overwhelming, maybe stick to the big models?

I'm not questioning the helpfulness of the forum members, I don't participate so I just don't know.  If the above post does that I'm sorry.  I'm only posting about the news content, has nothing to do with members.

A question. if you've been visiting neowin for 15 years, why only join up 4 hours ago to tell everyone you will not be visiting anymore? Would it not have just been simpler to just not visit neowin?
The post seems fake, or attention seeking to me, or you're possibly using a second disposable account to protect the main one.,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 3

alpha2beta    324
4 hours ago, texas_signmaker said:

I've been visiting Neowin for over 15 years and during the last 2-3 years I've felt the news content has gone seriously down-hill.  I feel like every other post is trying to sell me something.  I'm interested in less then 5% of the news posts.  Right now there is a post about some game character I've never heard of making a cameo in another game that I've never heard of.  The AMOUNT of news posts is up but the quality is DOWN.  Overwhelmingly the posts are selling something or about some "deal".  Seriously they are just posting anything now.

I'm not sure if the people posting are just trying to get as much posted as they can, but they need to realize that I'm not alone in my feeling.  I used to see most stories get comments on them but many now don't because they are not interesting.  I feel like scrolling the main page is like visiting some scam website with ads every two seconds about stories selling me stuff.  Feel "fake news-y" 

I wish the content would get back to where it was.  I really enjoyed Neowin but feel it's total junk now.  Please get it back to where it was!  Reduce the ads and amount of news posts and raise the bar again!

Totally agree with you, it's been more about politics then ever and hardly anything about Microsoft related news, plus the forums are littered with SJW instead of topics helping people with their computers.  

texas_signmaker    25
33 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

A question. if you've been visiting neowin for 15 years, why only join up 4 hours ago to tell everyone you will not be visiting anymore? Would it not have just been simpler to just not visit neowin?
The post seems fake, or attention seeking to me, or you're possibly using a second disposable account to protect the main one.,

Read the entire thread more closely instead of just the first post.

Barney T.    2,166

Just to point out, you posted this thread 5 hours ago and you already have 6 responses other than yours. I would say that is not bad for feedback.. (Y)

• Like 2

texas_signmaker    25
16 minutes ago, Barney T. said:

Just to point out, you posted this thread 5 hours ago and you already have 6 responses other than yours. I would say that is not bad for feedback.. (Y)

Thanks for responding and listening to the concern.  Maybe they could lump all the game news into once daily "Gamers" post or something since the articles seem to be rather short, same with phones and such, that way for people not interested in that topic they don't have to wade through pages of that stuff daily.  

51 minutes ago, texas_signmaker said:

Read the entire thread more closely instead of just the first post.

If that was supposed to be a dig at me for responding, then I could say practice what you preach, considering I did read the thread, and did not respond to your first post.

And when I get tired of a website's crap, I don't join up to make a post about it, I just don't visit it anymore. So my statement still stands, feel free to thumb down everything I've ever posted if you're that easily triggered by a passing comment.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

texas_signmaker    25
57 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

If that was supposed to be a dig at me for responding, then I could say practice what you preach, considering I did read the thread, and did not respond to your first post.

And when I get tired of a website's crap, I don't join up to make a post about it, I just don't visit it anymore. So my statement still stands, feel free to thumb down everything I've ever posted if you're that easily triggered by a passing comment.

If I was a site admin I would want to know what's going on with visitors.  Are you a site admin, newsposter or decision maker here?  You can disagree with me, but to suggest I shouldn't bring attention to something that has bothered me (and others) about this site and hope to improve it is another thing.  If I see a post that I have nothing constructive or intelligent to add, I just don't say anything and move on.  You conduct yourself as you wish and I'll do the same for me.

3 minutes ago, texas_signmaker said:

If I was a site admin I would want to know what's going on with visitors.  Are you a site admin, newsposter or decision maker here?  You conduct yourself as you wish and I'll do the same for me.

Rofl ok bud

I am not admin here, neither did I imply it. But most site admins look at a new poster, take their comment with a pinch of salt, as usually, like here, the poster is just that, salty.

A drop in visitor numbers would be feedback enough for admins to look into why.

• Like 1

texas_signmaker    25
4 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Rofl ok bud

I am not admin here, neither did I imply it. But most site admins look at a new poster, take their comment with a pinch of salt, as usually, like here, the poster is just that, salty.

A drop in visitor numbers would be feedback enough for admins to look into why.

Why are you offended by my post?  Do you enjoy the types of news being posted?  Like I said, your welcome to disagree, but to say that I shouldn't be bringing this up really isn't your call.  Is there a rule that I should have X number of posts being voicing a concern?  Why are you worried about Admin's taking my comments with a grain of salt?  I think I know that already as stated in my earlier posts..maybe read them fully.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, texas_signmaker said:

Why are you offended by my post?  Do you enjoy the types of news being posted?  Like I said, your welcome to disagree, but to say that I shouldn't be bringing this up really isn't your call.  Is there a rule that I should have X number of posts being voicing a concern?  Why are you worried about Admin's taking my comments with a grain of salt?  I think I know that already as stated in my earlier posts..maybe read them fully.

I stated it was an observation, I'm not offended, I am also not interested in trying to escalate, I was trying to figure out why someone who could have simply ignored neowin from now on, HAD to join up and make a song and dance about why he'll never visit neowin again.

You are correct about it not being my call, as for the rest of your questions, and your last comment that I have quoted. Nice try.

Eric    1,563
1 hour ago, The Evil Overlord said:

No, you didn't really. You went straight for the low post count instead of reading what the OP had to say.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eric said:

No, you didn't really. You went straight for the low post count instead of reading what the OP had to say.

Um no, that's how you interpreted it

I asked, on the comment you downthumbed, (for reference) why would one make the effort, or even bother to join up to tell us they won't be visiting, to me this seems like a cry for attention, if their intention was to not visit, as it seems MUCH easier just to never visit the site again.
The second part was opinion, one I feel as valid

+John.    1,289

I left for about 3 ish years a couple of years ago for the same reason really, it didn't hold my interest. 

I guess you're getting a bit of feedback because you felt you had to post about it? I simply stopped logging in.

• Like 1

Jazmac    797
8 hours ago, texas_signmaker said:

I am right behind you Texas_signmaker. For me, the focus has clearly shifted away from tech. When neowin's editorial and POV about net neutrality spoke to it not being a problem, I was done. I then began to look for other tech resources.  When I find it, I'll make myself scarce at neowin. Its not been 15 years for me but its been at almost 10 and its fallen off in a big way.

• Thanks 1

+LimeMaster    15,319
4 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Um no, that's how you interpreted it

I asked, on the comment you downthumbed, (for reference) why would one make the effort, or even bother to join up, if their intention was to not visit, as it seems MUCH easier just to never visit the site again.
The second part was opinion, one I feel as valid

I think the issue here is a lot of readers aren't happy with the change in direction of the news content. We've already seen an example of this in another thread. All it means is that Neowin will have to make adjustments to please the readers. I personally haven't cared for the news content on this site for the longest time, but I can completely understand why there are many upset with certain changes. It's like if Neowin decided to remove the Members' Metropolis section, we wouldn't be happy and would probably create a thread expressing our concerns.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LimeMaster said:

I think the issue here is a lot of readers aren't happy with the change in direction of the news content. We've already seen an example of this in another thread. All it means is that Neowin will have to make adjustments to please the readers. I personally haven't cared for the news content on this site for the longest time, but I can completely understand why there are many upset with certain changes. It's like if Neowin decided to remove the Members' Metropolis section, we wouldn't be happy and would probably create a thread expressing our concerns.

Yeah I got that, I never said his concerns or opinions are not valid. I just don't see the point in joining someone's forum, just to tell them I won't be back, like the one you linked in that thread, another user called it for what it is.. a cry for attention.

• Like 1

Jazmac    797
3 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Not the OP but in the hotel business, its understood that not everyone with a beef will express it. The number is close to 10 percent of those that will express disapproval. To a hotel chain, not knowing why people no longer visit doesn't help the hotel chain to improve. If you speak on behalf of neowin and suggest its better to not know why readership is off, this site will never improve and those are lost advertising dollars.

• Like 3

+Ely    197

Even though I still check the site several times a day I do agree that the quality has dramatically decreased lately, I see news posts about topics which have little or nothing to do with technology or Windows, in the meantime I see important tech related news in some other sites I visit, then come to Neowin to see if/what was posted it about it here and nothing, now this is not always the case but it happens.

• Like 7