A Millennial Job Interview

I died a little inside.

On a more serious note, both videos highlight the idea of the younger generation not doing mornings. My work schedule would normally mean that I need to be in on set hours (0900-1800 for example) but that schedule is set by the rest of the workplace. With the world being potentially available 24/7, is it really such a bad idea to evolve the working hours and have the work day begin at 1100 rather than 0900? I know I would be happier!

• Like 2

How would you guys define "millenials" ? Does that just generally means "young people" ?

Because labels aside, this looks to me this looks more like "self-entitled lazy idiots". Lots of young people just aren't like that, at least around me...

25 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

On a more serious note, both videos highlight the idea of the younger generation not doing mornings. My work schedule would normally mean that I need to be in on set hours (0900-1800 for example) but that schedule is set by the rest of the workplace. With the world being potentially available 24/7, is it really such a bad idea to evolve the working hours and have the work day begin at 1100 rather than 0900? I know I would be happier!

Yeah for many jobs as long as you do the work required, a.k.a."your 8 hours a day" I figure when you do it matters less than we think. Not all jobs, but many of them.

And yeah amongst the young people I can still see some who wake up early, and some who can't wake up naturally before 15 PM - and guess what, it looks like they don't change much when they grow older. I can't wake up after 9 unless I have a really big hangover, and I'm not 30 yet. I have a friend who can't be up before 2 in the afternoon on a Sunday, his dad is the same. I don't think that's a generation thing.

4 minutes ago, Brys said:

How would you guys define "millenials" ? Does that just generally means "young people" ?

I class a millennial as being someone born ~1995. They are old enough by the year 2000 to have an understanding of the world and also take on more serious responsibilities. Indeed, I was born in 1988 and I would consider myself on the verge of the definition.

Thinking further, I would modify the definition and I would class a millennial as being someone who grew up with the technology boom. With that definition, I would be a millennial.

And after a quick Google, I see this (ignore my typo):

1PySjDx.png

I wasn't far off!

90s kid here. I wake up at 0600 Sharp. Go to sleep at around 2230 depends on the day. I have never stayed awake past midnight, unless I absolutely have too. I reach office at 0900-0930, but I have seen many 'old guys' as well as people from my generation waking up after 1000 and reaching office after 1100. Yay for flexible work hours, I guess?

EDIT: @Nick H.whaaaat? I am a millennial? So are you?... Something doesn't add up here.
EDIT2: The guilt of making fun of millennials only to find you were one already. Its like Hitler realizing that he was a Jew!

5 minutes ago, Tuskd said:

90s kid here. I wake up at 0600 Sharp. Go to sleep at around 2230 depends on the day. I have never stayed awake past midnight, unless I absolutely have too. I reach office at 0900-0930, but I have seen many 'old guys' as well as people from my generation waking up after 1000 and reaching office after 1100. Yay for flexible work hours, I guess?

EDIT: @Nick H.whaaaat? I am a millennial? So are you?... Something doesn't add up here.
EDIT2: The guilt of making fun of millennials only to find you were one already. Its like Hitler realizing that he was a Jew!

The problem is labeling. We hear "millennial" and think that it's the people that came after us. They get a negative rap and we say to ourselves, "well we're not part of that group." People have made similar observations by saying, "I'm not a racist, but..."

The point is that we can be officially classed as a millennial, but we don't need to fulfill all the negative stereotypes because of it. Maybe I'm thinking about this too much. :laugh:

I'm triggered when I see something blamed on millennials but honestly I think what worries me more is that we sometimes blame bad education on "being a millennials" and sometimes reject valid ideas as "millennials thinking", just because we have a label. That's both stupid and dangerous, and I guess that's the root cause of my triggering.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, warwagon said:

Great video because it at least made some thought-out points instead of just blaming stuff on "millenials". I'd rather people considered problems and situation thoughtfully more often than just label them and forget them. "It's ok it's not a real problem it's just millenials when the next generation comes it'll go away" sure great way to think

I literally heard a female Millennial tell a guy who called for a conference call regarding her being let go at her job, "I can't do it today because it's my birthday"

On 12/12/2017 at 1:52 AM, Brys said:

Great video because it at least made some thought-out points instead of just blaming stuff on "millenials". I'd rather people considered problems and situation thoughtfully more often than just label them and forget them. "It's ok it's not a real problem it's just millenials when the next generation comes it'll go away" sure great way to think

I think it was a good video, but I think it would be useful to delve deeper rather than putting all the emphasis on bad parenting, social media and spoiled bratdom. For example, when he summarized his points, he did not even reiterate corporate greed although he introduced it early on. He could go deeper at the socioeconomic policy changes' impacting opportunity of said populace.

• Millenials make less $ than their parents
  • Jobs have been outsourced even domestically - so jobs which used to require only high school diploma, now are employing college degree
  • Credentials have soured, so while your parents barely needed an Associates Degree, you might need a Masters with a specialization for the exact same job
  • College tuition, housing, and healthcare costs have increased while wages have stagnate

the touchstone of the millennial experience is uncertainty

http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/poor-millennials/

(I do not think there is any sound in this presentation)

(scroll passed the Flash presentation for an article)

Worth a read if you can stomach a progressive insight based on facts

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:39 PM, Louisifer said:

ysjJwvJ.png

It's a little out of date, they went with gen z's for 2000s+ and gen alpha for 2010s+. its all a marketing gimmick. \o/ 

Weird, I was always told Gen Y was 1980 onwards, as I was born in 1975 and according to that chart I'm both..... (parents were both born in the 1930s)

2 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Weird, I was always told Gen Y was 1980 onwards, as I was born in 1975 and according to that chart I'm both..... (parents were both born in the 1930s)

Well until now I always thought those were just random names used to still feel superior and righteous when you basically say "uuuuh young people are idiots"

12 hours ago, Fulcrum said:

I think it was a good video, but I think it would be useful to delve deeper rather than putting all the emphasis on bad parenting, social media and spoiled bratdom. For example, when he summarized his points, he did not even reiterate corporate greed although he introduced it early on. He could go deeper at the socioeconomic policy changes' impacting opportunity of said populace.

Worth a read if you can stomach a progressive insight based on facts

yeah good point but I'm kind of already ###### at the economy, to the point I constantly have to shut off the marxist guy inside my head who wants a violent revolution. I thought it was interesting to delve into the more psychological aspect.

I'll give your link a read some time though, it seems interesting