F9: Iridium Next #4 mission thread

Date: December 22, 2017 
Time: 1726 PT, 2056 ET, 0126 GMT 

Launch pad: Vandenberg SLC-4E  
Stage landing: ASDS Just Read the Instructions

SpaceX Opens Media Accreditation for Iridium-4 Mission

HAWTHORNE, Calif.  Nov. 20, 2017. Media accreditation is now open for SpaceX's Iridium-4 mission from Space Launch Complex 4 East (SLC-4E) at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. The launch is targeted for no earlier than December 22.

A Flight-Proven Falcon 9 rocket will deliver 10 satellites to low-Earth orbit (LEO) for Iridium, a global leader in mobile voice and data satellite communications.

Edited by DocM
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Beittil said:

Imho they should still recover it for good sport and not being ocean polluters when they have a perfect way of like... not polluting the ocean with another rocket stage.

I agree, even if it is to recycle the materials. I'm sure those who would be out at sea over christmas would disagree though. I wonder how much of the stage is left when it hits the ocean. Cant be much more than the octaweb I'd have thought.

Meet the high speed fairing recovery ship Mr. Steven. Pics before and after modifications.

Mr. Steven is 205 ft long and is pump-jet powered. Currently in the Port of LA, apparently awaiting the Iridium #4 launch.

MrSteven_before.thumb.jpg.46b65a0ae587a08b182091c7411f1652.jpg

MrSteven_fairing_recovery_ship.thumb.jpg.11664688383754bce9de798e6c5ac19b.jpg

That was so much fun, Got to watch the launch out our window (we live along the flight path in southern cali) with my daughter. Was cool to watch the 1st stage, since they weren't showing it until it started to drop rather quickly and cooled so we couldn't see the engine glow anymore (I'm guessing?)

My daughter was pumped to see it live and as close as we were. She is now planning her future things around launches from Vandenburg lol.