Help with connecting external CD ROM drive

I am connecting an external CD ROM drive to my desktop computer. Upon plugging it into the USB port, I hear the sound that plays when new hardware is detected and then shortly after I hear the sound that plays when hardware is removed. This is a continuous cycle. Any ideas as to why Windows is not taking the drive and allowing it to operate?

Are you using the original cable? Is it possible the unit is not getting enough power and needs an additional usb port for power? I remeber some external drives shipping with this type of cable for that reason https://www.walmart.com/ip/Startech-1-USB-Y-Cable-for-External-Hard-Drive/15172477?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=6871&adid=22222222228000602779&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=61843581249&wl4=pla-63790328751&wl5=9031599&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=117437128&wl11=online&wl12=15172477&wl13=&veh=sem

[UPDATE: And @Circaflex beat me to a reply!]

Hello,

You may need to use a USB Y-cable which provides supplemental power from a second USB port.  Here's an example of one:  StarTech USB Dual A to Mini-B (not specifically a recommendation, just the first one I came across in my search).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Having not yet used another cable, I have plugged the CD-ROM drive into different USB ports on my computer. What is different this time is that the drive stays connected (before it would connect and disconnect multiple times). I was able to get the tray open, whereas before I could not do this. The issue now is that the drive doesn't show up in Windows. I've only got my normal hard drive and my SSD drive.

Will another cable resolve the issue? Would plugging in a USB hub into the computer and then plugging the drive into the hub do anything?

if using windows 10 this could just be a DRM issue as windows might see your device a copying tool , I have the same problem but I boot into safe mode and it works ok . mines a Samsung external dvd drive.

9 minutes ago, dessy48 said:

if using windows 10 this could just be a DRM issue as windows might see your device a copying tool , I have the same problem but I boot into safe mode and it works ok . mines a Samsung external dvd drive.

Nope.

The drive in question is an external CD Rom drive by LG. It has a CD in the drive, but Windows sees only the two internal drives on my computer.

Found an article with a six step troubleshooting process. Step one was to show hidden devices; that didn't work. Step two was to delete entries under CD and ide via device manager. Drive actually shows up there, but no drive letter in explorer.

Deleted CD entry and now am trying to get it to show up again after restarting the computer

To confiirm

You got a Y usb cable (2 male ends one usb B end for CDRW) and plugged both into 2 usb ports?

with you saying this time you could open the drive, its getting enough power now so i suspect the answer is yes.

• Press Winflag key & R 
  • type compmgmt.msc
  • press enter
  • go to Device manager
  • is it listed under DVDROM/CDROM-Drives if so doe sit have a yellow ? next to it?
  • does any usb device have a yellow ? next to it?