Router/AP Set Up And Hardware

ch 14?  Are you in Japan?  I thought EU was highest 13.. US is only to 11.. So your setting your AP to think its in Japan?  Or your location off when it says Scottland?

As to 6?  Hhehe Your devices prob not showing you all the wifi in the area... In the last few days have seen 322 different wifi networks.. Some are from phones and stuff.. Could be people driving by in their cars... I live in the suburbs, decent space between houses.. Not like city of chicago where houses are right on top of each other, etc..

I have blurred out the ssids since knowing all these ssids in my area and use of simple db that is free available to anyone that knows how to google for it.. Could prob track down my house to a small area.. Which is why also blurred out the end of the macs of those radios.. Also in the db's available..

Anywhoo - as you can see there are a ###### ton of wifi in the area.. If you were in a more crowded area then sure that could be a problem with all the overlap, etc.

322.thumb.png.c543c860d64fbf29b484d8c47c2e1b7c.png

I don't have any issues.. Then again I have 3 AP in my small home and correctly configured, etc.  And all my devices that support it use 5ghz... Wish clients would have better support for the DFS channels and I would use those..

Here is the thing with wifi - even if no interference... It is not currently as fast as a wire... Your latency is going to be higher than the wire, and the latency is going to be jumpy.. Its shared bandwidth.. If the device does not move about.. And it supports a wire.. Then why would you not put it on a wire?

The ones with the 2 next to them have been seen more 2 of my AP.. There are few that have been seen by all 3.. But didn't see a reason to show the full list.. Just wanted to show a bit of an example that more than likely there is way more wifi in the area then you think.. If you were in say a apt building in the city.. I would think it would just be out of this world how many you would see.  There is someone close to me at -70dbm that is running open and <hidden>  hehee  I should connect to it just for grins and maybe print out goatse on a printer or something ;)

I am in a city. That might have influenced my opinion of wireless.  Microwaves operate at  2.4 Ghz as well (and they also use your bandwidth to send back their observations on what you are up to - 

Nothing can compare to a pure straight clean beautiful wire.

18 hours ago, BudMan said:

ch 14?  Are you in Japan?  I thought EU was highest 13.. US is only to 11.. So your setting your AP to think its in Japan?  Or your location off when it says Scottland?

No im in Scotland buddy, but my Asus router allows ch 14 selection (locale on router is set to UK/EU), its the only way i can guarantee im not converging other SSIDs around me, i live in a terraced street.

your right btw, most EU routers only allow up to ch13, suspect it shouldnt allow it.

10 hours ago, DevTech said:

I am in a city. That might have influenced my opinion of wireless.  Microwaves operate at  2.4 Ghz as well (and they also use your bandwidth to send back their observations on what you are up to - 

Nothing can compare to a pure straight clean beautiful wire.

and a lot of cheap christmas lights also :) flood the 2.4 spectrum with white noise

18 hours ago, BudMan said:

Could prob track down my house to a small area.. Which is why also blurred out the end of the macs of those radios.. 

Aww I was gonna do just that and grin maniacally at you through your window :D waving like a goon :D 

Something along the lines of.... 

Spoiler

• Haha 2

Asking again, there are going to be, at most 5-6 ethernet ports going to each room.

So, should I buy 2 little Ubiquiti routers/switches?

I would buy a decent gigabit switch to hold however many ports you have throughout the house.  24 or 48 port, possibly.  Then just buy an 8-port gigabit for single rooms.  Maybe have one as a backup for if you need an extra couple of ports.   For your bigger switch, I would get a Unifi switch if you're buying the other Unifi stuff, but not really necessary.  For your small switch, it doesn't matter as much. 

7 minutes ago, farmeunit said:

I would buy a decent gigabit switch to hold however many ports you have throughout the house.  24 or 48 port, possibly.  Then just buy an 8-port gigabit for single rooms.  Maybe have one as a backup for if you need an extra couple of ports.   For your bigger switch, I would get a Unifi switch if you're buying the other Unifi stuff, but not really necessary.  For your small switch, it doesn't matter as much. 

The main thing when building a new house is to plan like that even if you don't follow through.

Plan out a 24 port switch at least and then if you end up getting a 16 or 8 for that spot, no big deal. Later on you will need it anyways...

That gives you the main trunk wire runs. Then it's a matter of which rooms need a good spread of wires.

None of this would interest me because the clean look of hidden cables defeats all the fun for me. I like wires! But lots of bright colors and you can get LAN cables in various Neon colors now so they can extra-sparkle with energy!

I disagree a bit on the small switch. Even brand name consumer switches don't have good longevity. And commercial 8-ports are usually wacky prices for just 8 ports. What I have been doing lately for the small stuff is source any small switch with a solid heavy metal enclosure since my theory on longevity for small Gigabits is heat death.

I doubt I'll EVER need a 24-port. We only have 5 rooms in the house. 3 bedrooms, dinning room, and living room. The maybe 6th one is in the basement. (my Dad's mancave)

I always get confused with a "router" and "switch"...

Was reading online, think I understand now. So I need a router, and a switch attached to it? So, Modem > Router > Switch, right?

The main thing when building a new house is to plan like that even if you don't follow through.

Plan out a 24 port switch at least and then if you end up getting a 16 or 8 for that spot, no big deal. Later on you will need it anyways...

That gives you the main trunk wire runs. Then it's a matter of which rooms need a good spread of wires.

None of this would interest me because the clean look of hidden cables defeats all the fun for me. I like wires! But lots of bright colors and you can get LAN cables in various Neon colors now so they can extra-sparkle with energy!

I disagree a bit on the small switch. Even brand name consumer switches don't have good longevity. And commercial 8-ports are usually wacky prices for just 8 ports. What I have been doing lately for the small stuff is source any small switch with a solid heavy metal enclosure since my theory on longevity for small Gigabits is heat death.

I have a netgear 10/100 that still functions after 15 years. I also have a 5 port linksys going for 17. I think either you are abusive or your electric sucks.

8 minutes ago, sc302 said:

I have a netgear 10/100 that still functions after 15 years. I also have a 5 port linksys going for 17. I think either you are abusive or your electric sucks.

I send surges his way. :p

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, sc302 said:

yeah I have lots of old 10/100.

I should have made it clear I was referring to Gigabit. The consumer stuff all overheats or something. Nothing at all obvious on the dead PCBs... so no bad caps.

So that's my chant for today... Metal Boxes for Gigabit!

Unfortunately all my 10/100 is retired. I even need Gigabit from the Modem to the Router.

I even have some 10 Coax lying around and a bin of terminators!

32 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Was reading online, think I understand now. So I need a router, and a switch attached to it? So, Modem > Router > Switch, right?

Yes. 

You can chain the switches together as needed. Max cable run about 150 feet is reasonable I think...

I use ipfire.org for the router and then separate wireless out into Access Points to get great coverage wherever I need it.

https://www.ipfire.org/

20 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Yes. 

You can chain the switches together as needed. Max cable run about 150 feet is reasonable I think...

I use ipfire.org for the router and then separate wireless out into Access Points to get great coverage wherever I need it.

https://www.ipfire.org/

Are you using IPFire hardware, or running your own desktop?

Edit: The limit is 300ft for ethernet cables, but you know, keeping it short is good, too...

Edited by Mindovermaster

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

Edit: The limit is 300ft for ethernet cables, but you know, keeping it short is good, too...

Cat6a can run further. Dev is probably referring to the 10Gb limit which is not 300, but like 165 for cat6.  It doesn’t sound like the size of this home is going to need anywhere near 300 or even 150 foot runs anyway. 

1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

Cat6a can run further. It doesn’t sound like the size of this home is going to need anywhere near 300 foot runs anyway. 

Not at all. ;)

2 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Getting some extra work out of an older computer - Athlon dual core 2.6 ghz with 4 gig RAM means no stuttering or throughput issues on 150 mbits.

First class heavy duty router at zero cost.

1 minute ago, DevTech said:

Getting some extra work out of an older computer - Athlon dual core 2.6 ghz with 4 gig RAM means no stuttering or throughput issues on 150 mbits.

I do have a OLD C2D E2130 (I think, that one hit overclocker that you can push it up 99% without breaking it)

I have a server grade motherboard on it. As I couldn't find anything else cheaper. I think it only has 1 Ethernet port on it, but getting a pci, pic-e, pci-x one shouldn't hurt my bank.

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

I do have a OLD C2D E2130 (I think, that one hit overclocker that you can push it up 99% without breaking it)

I have a server grade motherboard on it. As I couldn't find anything else cheaper. I think it only has 1 Ethernet port on it, but getting a pci, pic-e, pci-x one shouldn't hurt my bank.

It's great for people that like to tinker and well, instead of having an obscure grey box with spider legs, it can be quite understandable and maintainable.

Once installed, you can control major Linux updates and also a wide variety of add-on packs.

And it is also a giant relief not to have to mix up the mysteries and oddities of wireless with your main internet communications vehicle.

21 minutes ago, DevTech said:

It's great for people that like to tinker and well, instead of having an obscure grey box with spider legs, it can be quite understandable and maintainable.

Once installed, you can control major Linux updates and also a wide variety of add-on packs.

And it is also a giant relief not to have to mix up the mysteries and oddities of wireless with your main internet communications vehicle.

yeah, I think I'm going to test it out in VM before I go skinny dipping...

What switch would you buy? I know some people mentioned some over here in this forum.

Give me some ideas of what to look out for. I heard CISCO or Ubiquinti is good. Your suggestions? $100-200 range, please.

On 12/23/2017 at 3:11 PM, DevTech said:

Wouldn't say zero - what does it suck in juice.. While using an OLD pc is great sure.. They tend to suck a lot more juice then box designed for the function.. Your old pc sitting there idle sucking maybe what 50w... While a box designed to to function as the router might only draw 7, etc..

Not suggesting you not use the old pc.. your payback for savings in electric forking over cash for less power hungry device could be years.. Depending on what exactly your old pc is drawing, vs what some new hardware would draw and how much you pay per kwh, etc..

I would highly recommend the sg300 over the 200.. Its not that more expensive.. It future proofs you in that it can do layer 3.. Ie the sg300 can route not just switch.. I had picked up the sg300-28 not that long ago for 200.. So you could keep an eye on its price it does move around a bit on amazon.. I was out of ports... Getting the more ports version allowed me to move my 10 port sg300 to the av cab in the living room vs the cheap smart switch that was in there..  Which while it could do vlans that was about it.. No igmp snooping, no snmp access for monitoring, etc. etc.

sg300amazon.thumb.png.ed1aaf2fcd39280ffaa51db66e6feecb.png

As to ports needed.. You would be amazed at how fast they go ;)  The sg300 has quite a few more feature other than just the ability to route if need be.. And the sg200 does not have cli access, only web..