Router/AP Set Up And Hardware

8 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

AM I thinking that wrong, or...

The ERX cannot power 48V AP's via POE, other brands of AP if they use 24v can be powered but the Ubiquiti Pros for instance use 48V. 

The AP will work either way because you use an injector to power it if you do not use POE.

Notice the ER-X specs

24V Passive PoE

Passive PoE Passthrough*

*Requires 24V passive PoE or a 12W minimum power adapter (not included).

Do you understand?

5 minutes ago, Matthew S. said:

With a switch that doesn't provide PoE you need a PoE injector which means more cables at one end of the string with an ugly box to boot.

Yep, ive deployed quite a few PoE injectors when sites are tightwads and wont buy the right PoE capable cisco rack kit, usually go with the TPLink ones.......who woulda thunk it! A lot of TPLink kit is old Cisco 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Wireless-Controller-Software-EAP110/dp/B00VQ8P47O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1516994350&sr=8-3&keywords=tplink+AP

Looks VERY familiar if you go back 4 or 5years ;) 

56 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

The ERX cannot power 48V AP's via POE, other brands of AP if they use 24v can be powered but the Ubiquiti Pros for instance use 48V. 

The AP will work either way because you use an injector to power it if you do not use POE.

Notice the ER-X specs

Do you understand?

Yeah, the guy on YT was wondering that 24v thing, too...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

I wouldn't EVER need it?

Nonsense - any real AP is going to be poe.. plain and simple.. You can always use poe injectors so you your prob right you prob wouldn't need poe switch unless you started adding a lot of poe devices.

BTW edge router x their cheap stuff is not real easy to configure.. I would go with the gateway so you can control from the controller software to be honest.

To be honest at a complete lost to this thread.  Going to wire my whole house - and ###### the guy used 5e vs 6a, etc.. But need to save $50 on what router I use... Makes NO sense..  Sorry..

27 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Nonsense - any real AP is going to be poe.. plain and simple.. You can always use poe injectors so you your prob right you prob wouldn't need poe switch unless you started adding a lot of poe devices.

BTW edge router x their cheap stuff is not real easy to configure.. I would go with the gateway so you can control from the controller software to be honest.

To be honest at a complete lost to this thread.  Going to wire my whole house - and ###### the guy used 5e vs 6a, etc.. But need to save $50 on what router I use... Makes NO sense..  Sorry..

I agree, wired is better than any wireless. BUT, we can't wire our tablets or our phones, can we?

• Like 2

Not my point dude... Its like going to buy this $50K car - but sorry the floor mats for $100 is too much ;)  I'm on a budget..

2 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Not my point dude... Its like going to buy this $50K car - but sorry the floor mats for $100 is too much ;)  I'm on a budget..

You try buying all you do on SSI money...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

I agree, wired is better than any wireless. BUT, we can't wire our tablets or our phones, can we?

technically there are Micro-USB/USB-C to Ethernet adapters for phones/tablets :p

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Micro-B-Ethernet-Adapter-Raspberry/dp/B00RM3KXAU

4 hours ago, Matthew S. said:

It's the old measure twice, cut once.  Do it right the first time and you'll never have to worry about it again.

With a switch that doesn't provide PoE you need a PoE injector which means more cables at one end of the string with an ugly box to boot.

PoE is more for industrial and commercial scenarios like placing cameras on top of warehouses etc.

Seriously, when building a new house which would you rather pay for, a never used PoE setup or electrical outlets every 3 feet on every wall?

Personally I would pay for both, and that's exactly what I'm doing at my place, running new RG6 and CAT6 and putting enough drops where I need them (including drops for AP's) and going to just run a small PoE switch and a non-PoE switch for everything that doesn't need PoE.

1 minute ago, Matthew S. said:

Personally I would pay for both, and that's exactly what I'm doing at my place, running new RG6 and CAT6 and putting enough drops where I need them (including drops for AP's) and going to just run a small PoE switch and a non-PoE switch.

But budget, budget, budget...

If it was me, Mr. DevTech, going to build a new house, and maybe one day I will do that, I would START with a review of state of the art on responsive environments and work the tech specs back from that, which would probably yield a very different network topology.

For starters, you want a sensor network in every room with a floor grid of pressure sensors, thermal area sensors, audio sensor arrays and the usual optical and infrared cameras. The market rejection of Kinect for Xbox means I can also add a few Kinect sensors to every room at about $20 each! That gives me body shape mapping real cheap.

Next we move from raw utility sensor I/O to speakers everywhere and ceiling mounted 3D Video projectors both for normal environmental projection and 3D Holographic object projection.

Even small rooms are going to have enough continuous I/O that in addition to a small server farm, we need a render farm for real time video generation and a Rack of Tesla P100s for basic local AI processing supplemented with on-demand Cloud Processing.

Can probably figure out how to add a useful PoE device in that config somewhere or other...

• Like 1