• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

SQL Operations Studio on Linux won't connect to SQL Server on same Linux VM

Question

SoCalRox    195

I'm trying to do some learning, and have a VMWare Player VM with Lubuntu 17.10 running the developer version of SQL Server 2017. I downloaded the SQL Operations studio but cannot connect to the server, even though I can when using RazorSQL in either the same VM or on the Windows host. I have tried everything I can think of (which is a short list since I am learning this stuff. I'm using the same connection name I use in RazorSQL. Any ideas? Here is the connection error I get:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 35 - An internal exception was caught) ---> System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. (No such device or address) ---> System.Net.Internals.SocketExceptionFactory+ExtendedSocketException: No such device or address
   at System.Net.Dns.InternalGetHostByName(String hostName, Boolean includeIPv6)
   at System.Net.Dns.ResolveCallback(Object context)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Net.Dns.HostResolutionEndHelper(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Net.Dns.EndGetHostAddresses(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Net.Dns.<>c.<GetHostAddressesAsync>b__25_1(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncCoreLogic(IAsyncResult iar, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SNI.SNITCPHandle.<ConnectAsync>d__22.MoveNext()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SNI.SNITCPHandle..ctor(String serverName, Int32 port, Int64 timerExpire, Object callbackObject, Boolean parallel)
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.Net.Internals.SocketExceptionFactory+ExtendedSocketException (0x00000005): No such device or address
   at System.Net.Dns.InternalGetHostByName(String hostName, Boolean includeIPv6)
   at System.Net.Dns.ResolveCallback(Object context)
   at System.Net.Dns.HostResolutionEndHelper(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Net.Dns.EndGetHostAddresses(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Net.Dns.<>c.<GetHostAddressesAsync>b__25_1(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncCoreLogic(IAsyncResult iar, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SNI.SNITCPHandle.<ConnectAsync>d__22.MoveNext()<---

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString userConnectionOptions, SessionData reconnectSessionData, Boolean applyTransientFaultHandling)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.<>c__DisplayClass22_0.<TryGetConnection>b__0(Task`1 _)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.ContinuationResultTaskFromResultTask`2.InnerInvoke()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal(Task& currentTaskSlot)
   at Microsoft.SqlTools.ServiceLayer.Connection.ReliableConnection.ReliableSqlConnection.<>c__DisplayClass28_0.<<OpenAsync>b__0>d.MoveNext() in C:\J\jobs\sqltoolsservice_master_win\workspace\src\Microsoft.SqlTools.ServiceLayer\Connection\ReliableConnection\ReliableSqlConnection.cs:line 298
   at Microsoft.SqlTools.ServiceLayer.Connection.ConnectionService.<TryOpenConnection>d__46.MoveNext() in C:\J\jobs\sqltoolsservice_master_win\workspace\src\Microsoft.SqlTools.ServiceLayer\Connection\ConnectionService.cs:line 542
ClientConnectionId:00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

6 answers to this question

Depicus    870

Got to love those over complicated error messages :cry:

• Like 1

SoCalRox    195

I'll check that one out. It's a bit confusing since it is the same physical machine and same virtual machine. If it can't find its own self, that's confusing.

Depicus: Seriously, you are SO right. Do I really need an entire stack trace for this? :/

• Like 1

adrynalyne    9,122
1 hour ago, SoCalRox said:

I'll check that one out. It's a bit confusing since it is the same physical machine and same virtual machine. If it can't find its own self, that's confusing.

Depicus: Seriously, you are SO right. Do I really need an entire stack trace for this? :/

To be fair, it is in preview, and has all the debugging code enabled. 

SoCalRox    195

Yes, it's a beta. It turned out to be a DNS issue so I was able to connect using the IP address instead.

MANY thanks for the input (and a bookmarked page as well!)

NeoTrunks    114

I was having the same issue when connecting to another test workstation running SQL Server 2012 in my organization. It turns out that I could not connect because of the firewall on the workstation blocking the request. This massive stack trace is really just the application's current "I cannot connect to that address" error. Glad you figured it out.

• Like 1