Linux Doesn't Boot to GUI - Why?

Nick H.

Hi guys,

So after my previous topic I've noticed that it doesn't seem to matter which distribution of Linux I try to install (and I've now tried lots of them) they all suffer the same problem. The installation completes successfully, and the computer then reboots. But now I get sent to the terminal rather than the GUI. I've checked a few sources who suggest to enter the following command:

systemctl set-default graphical.target

I enter that and then when I do a check using the following command:

systemctl get-default

I get the reply of graphical.target.

However, after performing a reboot I still get the same issue of being sent to the terminal. As I mentioned, this happens with any distribution that I install. What could be the issue? Is it something to do with the bootloader?

Mindovermaster

did you ever try

start x-org

There might be something wrong with your gfx card. That it isn't getting to the GUI.

Did you try nomodset in Grub?

Mindovermaster
19 minutes ago, Snake89 said:

Also from reading your previous post, the system you might be trying to install the distro on might be to old.

To that, you might want to choose an earlier version of Ubuntu.

Tidosho

The only times I ever had this happen with Mint was a dodgy update or a couple times when my battery went out during normal use. I fixed it by an in place re-installation or upgrade, electing to keep the same /, /home and Swap, but NOT to format. Fixed it and didn't lose any files, but had to re-install apps.

Nick H.

I fixed it. I'm not quite sure what the issue was, but I tried Debian again and this time it worked without a problem.

Next thing to sort out is the permissions on the external HDD, or it might be an issue with Plex. But I've been staring at code all afternoon, I'm going to have a drink and work on that later. :laugh:

Mindovermaster

Beer_Credit_Africa_Studio_Shutterstock_C