Kremlin says U.S. tip-off helped Russia halt terrorist attack

techbeck    5,420

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin telephoned U.S. President Donald Trump on Sunday to thank him for a tip-off that helped prevent a terrorist bomb attack on a cathedral in the Russia city of St Petersburg, the Kremlin said.

Information provided by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) allowed Russian law-enforcement agencies to arrest the would-be attackers before they could carry out their plan, the Kremlin said in a statement posted on its Internet site.

A senior Trump administration official confirmed Trump and Putin had spoken on Sunday. However, there was no immediate confirmation from U.S. authorities that they had shared the intelligence with Russian officials.

The foiled attack was to have been carried out on Kazansky Cathedral, in Russia’s second city of St Petersburg, and on other locations in the city where large numbers of people gather, the Kremlin statement said. The cathedral is a popular tourist site.

Russian media reported last week that the Federal Security Service had detained followers of the Islamic State group who had been planning a suicide bomb attack on Kazansky Cathedral on Dec. 16.

“The Russian President thanked his American colleague for the information passed on by the Central Intelligence Agency, which helped detain a group of terrorists preparing explosions in St Petersburg’s Kazansky Cathedral and other busy sites in the city,” the Kremlin said.

More....

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-usa-intelligence/kremlin-says-u-s-tip-off-helped-russia-halt-terrorist-attack-idUSKBN1EB0NK

• Like 8

Xenon    703

Actually surprised this became public. This kind of help happens all the time. 

• Like 2

PGHammer    311
30 minutes ago, Xenon said:

And it's been public going back to Desert Shield - in short, back to Bush the Elder, and throughout Bill Clinton's two terms, Bush the Younger's two terms, etc.  There may be limits as to how FAR it goes (limits set - and largely understood - by each side), but such cooperation has gotten pretty widespread.  What set the basis FOR such cooperation?  A side deal that was part of the CDA (Camp David Accords) between Israel and Egypt (that later included Jordan and the nascent Palestinian Authority (but not Hamas)).  So I'm far from surprised this became public - because it's BEEN public; it's trying to walk it back for political reasons that makes it look silly. (No - I'm not talking about JUST Hillary, but even Putin trying to walk it back.)

That Bush the Elder - a former DCI - was the genesis for the idea had folks scratching heads, chins, and other sorts of anatomy; however, cooperating with adversaries is not always "evil".

• Like 1

+Zagadka    2,074

Something genuinely good happened, yay

People to ruin it over partisan crap in 3... 2... 1...

• Like 2

macrosslover    301
3 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

Something genuinely good happened, yay

People to ruin it over partisan crap in 3... 2... 1...

The US is evil, imperialist dogs, no saving us, we want to ruin the whole world, EVIL!!!!! /s  That good enough?  I'll put that in their early, since the usual suspects probably won't have anything to say about this positive story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

+Raze    13,879

Excellent news.

• Like 1

The Rev    330

More reach-around activity between Drumpf and Putin...  Color me surprised.  :p

• Dislike 4

Jim K    9,390

^ Not really.  It was actionable intelligence given to the Russians which I'm sure happens a lot, behind the scenes, bilaterally...and across Nations.

Innocent lives were saved ... that is all that matters. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

DocM    13,063

But...you just know....some toon will always yell COLLUSION!!  :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

SierraSonic    544
19 minutes ago, DocM said:

But...you just know....some toon will always yell COLLUSION!!  :rolleyes:

secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially in order to cheat or deceive others

Well, technically it was a secret cooperation, they did cheat and deceive the terrorists...

+Mirumir    5,389

I remember a world without terror.

Maybe we'll get there one day again.

If this positive momentum is being kept, five-ten years down the road, terrorists won't have any chances left and Earth will be cleansed of these scum.

• Like 1

techbeck    5,420
20 hours ago, Xenon said:

Yea, just nice to have it reported on for once.   Some seem to think everything is doom/gloom when it  comes these two nations getting a long

+Mando    4,400

thats more like it! :)

This should be publicised more when multinational collaboration happens.

The only way to stop terrorism globally is to tackle it globally as one unified front.

So simple when its typed out........

PGHammer    311
On 12/17/2017 at 6:53 PM, Jim K said:

^ Not really.  It was actionable intelligence given to the Russians which I'm sure happens a lot, behind the scenes, bilaterally...and across Nations.

Innocent lives were saved ... that is all that matters. 

Exactly, Jim K.  Such actions usually are the reason for side deals in treaties - even the Camp David Accords weren't the first.  (Think of how much biliateral - if not multilateral - cooperation is borne out of the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty, for example.)

wakjak    7,795
On 12/18/2017 at 5:20 AM, Mirumir said:

I remember a world without terror.

Has not existed in your lifetime or mine.

• Like 1