• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

What Distro?

Question

Mindovermaster    1,390

I know, this has been asked 1000 times. I have an older laptop. That I found buried under a bunch of crap. In my Mom's stuff.

Specs:

Vostro 1500

A00 BIOS

C2D 1.6 Ghz

2048Mb DDR2 667 (limit is 2GB on board)

MB8M GS video card (I think)

160GB HDD (prolly 5400)

DVD+/-RW

This has to be circa 2007.

So this is a pretty hosed down system. I have Windows 7 on it now. And even that is slow as molasses. I can put an SSD into there. I have a few to spare. Hopefully get some life out of it.

I do remember using Puppy, but that was too dorky for me. Would you suggest Crunchbang (though no longer worked on) or perhaps Archbang? Unless I should pick Lubuntu? I have used DSL (Damn Small Linux) once looooong ago...

Unless there's something else out there?

Edit: Secondly, what should I do with this? I always thought of making it like an AFK box for Minecraft, or maybe use it as a pfsense box? Choices are endless, I know...

Edited by Mindovermaster

3 answers to this question

Xahid    5,156

You should try Lubuntu

Lubuntu is a fast and lightweight operating system. The core of the system is based on Linux and Ubuntu. Lubuntu uses the minimal desktop LXDE, and a selection of light applications. It focuses on speed and energy-efficiency. Because of this, Lubuntu has very low hardware requirements. Lubuntu was founded by Mario Behling and has been grown for many years by Julien Lavergne. Please join us and install Lubuntu on your computer.

Mindovermaster    1,390

Yeah, well so is OpenBox... And the other minimalistic desktops. I'll try Lubuntu, though. See how it works out.

linettereed    2

You can give a shot to Lubunto or Cent OS 7...