• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

What Distro?

Mindovermaster    1,524

I know, this has been asked 1000 times. I have an older laptop. That I found buried under a bunch of crap. In my Mom's stuff.

Specs:

Vostro 1500

A00 BIOS

C2D 1.6 Ghz

2048Mb DDR2 667 (limit is 2GB on board)

MB8M GS video card (I think)

160GB HDD (prolly 5400)

DVD+/-RW

This has to be circa 2007.

So this is a pretty hosed down system. I have Windows 7 on it now. And even that is slow as molasses. I can put an SSD into there. I have a few to spare. Hopefully get some life out of it.

I do remember using Puppy, but that was too dorky for me. Would you suggest Crunchbang (though no longer worked on) or perhaps Archbang? Unless I should pick Lubuntu? I have used DSL (Damn Small Linux) once looooong ago...

Unless there's something else out there?

Edit: Secondly, what should I do with this? I always thought of making it like an AFK box for Minecraft, or maybe use it as a pfsense box? Choices are endless, I know...

Edited by Mindovermaster

Xahid    5,224

You should try Lubuntu

Lubuntu is a fast and lightweight operating system. The core of the system is based on Linux and Ubuntu. Lubuntu uses the minimal desktop LXDE, and a selection of light applications. It focuses on speed and energy-efficiency. Because of this, Lubuntu has very low hardware requirements. Lubuntu was founded by Mario Behling and has been grown for many years by Julien Lavergne. Please join us and install Lubuntu on your computer.

• Like 1

Mindovermaster    1,524

Yeah, well so is OpenBox... And the other minimalistic desktops. I'll try Lubuntu, though. See how it works out.

linettereed    2
Posted (edited)

You can give a shot to Lubunto or Cent OS 7...

Daniel204    0

Under Linux, many distros come which are given below :

RedHat, Centos, Ubuntu, Kali Linux, Lubunto

HTH!

ThaCrip    473

My HP DV5-1002nr laptop, which I think was new in 2008 (similar specs to the OP's), runs Linux Mint v19 (Cinnamon) pretty well and I got a Intel 545s 128GB SSD (got a great price on it for only $31.99 not long ago) in it which helps make things a bit snappier.

it seems if you got 2GB or more of RAM just about any decent Linux will work on it pretty well for more of a basic internet machine. those who only have 1GB or less then I suspect those really light Linux OS's will be more appealing. but I can't imagine there are many systems still in use with less than 2GB of RAM.

Barney T.    2,261

You could also use Xubuntu. This distro is minimal, but uses XFCE-4 which is resource sparing. 

Xubuntu is an elegant and easy to use operating system. Xubuntu comes with Xfce, which is a stable, light and configurable desktop environment.

Xubuntu is perfect for those who want the most out of their desktops, laptops and netbooks with a modern look and enough features for efficient, daily usage. It works well on older hardware too.

I have used it and it is really awesome. My recommendation, for what it is worth! :) 

ITOps    39

If those do not work you can normally always install Gentoo or Arch on it.

adrynalyne    9,855
8 minutes ago, ITOps said:

If those do not work you can normally always install Gentoo or Arch on it.

Arch ftw.