• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Apples planned obsolescence of its hardware has been proven.

+Code Name: Lockdown    9,262

"Proven"...

• Like 1

xendrome    5,583

This is the natural progression of hardware and software as technology, features and updates are added then more space requirements and processing power are necessary.

OMG Intel is making it's CPU obsolete.. why can't I use my 486 DX2/50mhz to run Farcry 5?

• Like 2

Slugsie    1,239
5 minutes ago, xendrome said:

This is the natural progression of hardware and software as technology, features and updates are added then more space requirements and processing power are necessary.

OMG Intel is making it's CPU obsolete.. why can't I use my 486 DX2/50mhz to run Farcry 5?

Apparently you didn't read the article. This appears to be Apple throttling CPU speed as it detects that battery performance is degrading in order to help prolong runtime. The side effect being that the user thinks their phone is getting slower (it actually is) so they need a new phone, when they might just need a new battery.

• Like 1

xendrome    5,583
2 minutes ago, Slugsie said:

Apparently you didn't read the article. This appears to be Apple throttling CPU speed as it detects that battery performance is degrading in order to help prolong runtime. The side effect being that the user thinks their phone is getting slower (it actually is) so they need a new phone, when they might just need a new battery.

But it's not, some random guy's battery was failing and he got a new one. Of course if the battery was overhearing or could not provide the right power required of the CPU it will throttle down.

Remove the heatsink fan from your AMD/Intel CPU... bam... planned obsolescence....

• Like 2

Mando    5,117
1 hour ago, FFX said:

except it has not. a handful of reddditors and a blog is not proven.

throttling CPUs due to overload of battery or lack of sufficient charge is in every single CPU manufactured on this planet. What do think intel speedstep is? How else do you reckon on battery power, why your laptop seems slower....shock horror.....its throttling the CPU to minimise power drain, temperature and prolong battery use............ahaa proof that Intel are building in planned obsolescence! ?? 

Seems silly when you apply the same logic they are, to other consumer electronics really doesnt it?

"I believe (as do others) that Apple introduced a change to limit performance when battery condition decreases past a certain point. " (thats what happens when your in a closed ecosystem, you can only "guess")  :- from the author, he "believes" aka he has a hunch it could be due to battery, but no conclusive proof, not enough testing done to 100% prove it. :- so no, no "proof" just an educated "guess" backed up with a slim portion of handsets tested which enforce his belief. Cherry picking it could be construed as.

When they have sampled at random 1 thousand handsets + and get conclusive evidence to say its this and no other permutation, then they have proof, until then its a hunch (possibly right, possibly wrong)

• Like 1

Slugsie    1,239
28 minutes ago, xendrome said:

But it's not, some random guy's battery was failing and he got a new one. Of course if the battery was overhearing or could not provide the right power required of the CPU it will throttle down.

Remove the heatsink fan from your AMD/Intel CPU... bam... planned obsolescence....

Sorry, but that *is* the claim of the article. I never said the claim was correct. Batteries do lose capacity over time, the article speculates that Apple monitor this loss and lower CPU performance in an effort to lower power requirements and thus extend runtime.

That last comment is just being silly. That's operating something outside of its specified design parameters. Very different from planned obsolescence. Same thing with your 486 running Crysis comment.

So wait... Here's what I got from the article (mixed with a little common sense that was somewhat lacking):

Apple throttle the CPU on older devices to prolong battery life

OK, am I right so far?

And what the hell is wrong with that?  Each iteration of phone makes greater demand upon OS.  The CPU of older hardware is an immovable object, so running newer OSs (and app versions) will be detrimental to battery life.  So Apple chose to target the battery life as something they prioritise over running a CPU at full speed - so they throttle the CPU.  That's their call, and one that I'm pretty much on side with.

The part in bold above may well be proven, I certainly am not arguing against it being proven - even though it's spurious findings from a handful of people who aren't validating their claims with battery benchmarks.

Here's the kicker:  THAT DOES NOT PROVE "PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE"

Heck, there's an argument (probably from the pro-Apple camp) that it "proves" they are committed to prolonging the lifespan and usability of older devices.

Nice going, good-guy Apple!

• Like 1

Slugsie    1,239
44 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

So wait... Here's what I got from the article (mixed with a little common sense that was somewhat lacking):

Apple throttle the CPU on older devices to prolong battery life

OK, am I right so far?

Not quite, my take from the article is that they throttle the CPU when they detect battery life degradation.

Brandon H    3,781
6 minutes ago, Slugsie said:

Not quite, my take from the article is that they throttle the CPU when they detect battery life degradation.

that is my understanding as well

and it's not a bad feature BUT they need to have some kind of notification that it's happening and a toggle for those that don't want it. THAT is where the backlash is stemming from I believe.

DConnell    6,585

And if Apple didn't throttle the CPU when the battery degraded they'd be slammed for  killing the battery on older phones. And they'd still be accused of planned obsolescence.

Da**ed if you do, da**ed if you don't.

Brandon H    3,781
6 minutes ago, DConnell said:

And if Apple didn't throttle the CPU when the battery degraded they'd be slammed for  killing the battery on older phones. And they'd still be accused of planned obsolescence.

Da**ed if you do, da**ed if you don't.

which is why notifications and toggles are needed. you can't just purposefully slow down a device silently in the background without people getting angry. Especially when there's no way to turn off / reverse the feature.

• Like 1

Buttus    1,231

if they are throttling the CPU when the battery gets old, it should at least be optional.   maybe i want my phone to run as fast as always and i don't mind that my battery only lasts 8 hours instead of 12.

I think people are upset because it's not optional.   or is it?

DConnell    6,585
2 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

which is why notifications and toggles are needed. you can't just purposefully slow down a device silently in the background without people getting angry.

Valid point.

5 hours ago, Slugsie said:

Which feels absolutely worthwhile to me, considering (as I said) they have clearly chosen to identify battery life and longevity over performance on older hardware.  Either way, it doesn't "prove planned obsolescence".

• Like 1