Computer will not boot

Here's the situation...I was playing Final Fantasy XIV and chatting with some friends in-game.  After about an hour or so, the screen goes completely red and the PC locks up.  I turned it off by holding the power button down.  I pulled it apart and cleaned out the dust (something I had meant to do anyways) and attempted to start it again.  When the boot screen came on, it would start the cycle of checking the devices and reporting their status.  First thing shown on screen was Port 1 and it errored out.  I restarted the computer and entered the BIOS to make sure that the fan was running and the processor was not getting overheated.  It all checked out fine in BIOS.  I restarted and the same issue with Port 1 showed up.  I turn the computer off again and check the cables, blew out the power supply, blew out the fan, and then attempted to restart the computer.  Now, I get no beep or anything yet I can hear the DVD Drive boot up and nothing else.  I removed the video card to see if I could get an error beep, and nothing.

I'm racking my brain trying to figure this out, but I do have my suspicions as to the culprit.  Any one want to help me brainstorm as to what it could be?

Possibly a dead drive?

Disconnect everything but the essentials (all USB devices, extra internal drives.)

I doubt it's a dead drive considering I wasn't even getting a startup beep.  The lights that normally indicate that the power is on won't light up. 

EDIT: It's a single drive small form factor computer.  I can hear drives spinning up (I said only DVD at first because its lights came on) but nothing else.

1 hour ago, Lord Nite said:

I doubt it's a dead drive considering I wasn't even getting a startup beep.  The lights that normally indicate that the power is on won't light up. 

EDIT: It's a single drive small form factor computer.  I can hear drives spinning up (I said only DVD at first because its lights came on) but nothing else.

I had my own issues recently and it turned out it was a CPU that went faulty unexpectedly, although from what you're saying, this is different.

At any rate, I'd follow Matthew's advice at this point. Disconnect everything that isn't essential (HDD, optical drive, leave only one RAM stick in) and reset the CMOS while you're at it. You could then try to boot Windows/Linux off a USB stick.

Could you also post a picture of the Port 1 thing as I can't quite put it into context.

Considering that I can't even get a beep or anything on the screen, I'm thinking the motherboard took a massive crap and died.  I've always had trouble with this blasted thing ever since the CPU fried 6 months after buying it.

10 minutes ago, Luc2k said:

Could you also post a picture of the Port 1 thing as I can't quite put it into context.

The port screen shows up right after the initial BIOS screen where it checks for drives and has the "Press DEL to enter config".  I believe it's called the IRQ screen.

3 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Can be a problem with your RAM... Try with one stick at a time.

I doubt it's the memory as I tested that an hour ago.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if the memory, HDD, or optical is bad, shouldn't it produce a beep regardless when starting up?

Memory can be bad, but can still run your system. Run Memtest for a few cycles. That way we know fore SURE.

I'm going to clarify again.  I can not get the system to even turn on the screen much less get it to a prompt to run any diagnostics.

11 minutes ago, Lord Nite said:

I doubt it's the memory as I tested that an hour ago.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if the memory, HDD, or optical is bad, shouldn't it produce a beep regardless when starting up?

Tested how?

Depends if there's a speaker plugged in the motherboard. Mine doesn't have one as I hated the sound.

4 minutes ago, Lord Nite said:

I'm going to clarify again.  I can not get the system to even turn on the screen much less get it to a prompt to run any diagnostics.

That doesn't make much sense since you said that you entered BIOS. Diagnostics like Memtest can be run from a DVD or USB drive either by setting boot order in the BIOS or pressing the relevant key (usually F11 or F12) as soon as the system is turned on for the boot menu.

3 hours ago, Lord Nite said:

Here's the situation...I was playing Final Fantasy XIV and chatting with some friends in-game.  After about an hour or so, the screen goes completely red and the PC locks up.  I turned it off by holding the power button down.  I pulled it apart and cleaned out the dust (something I had meant to do anyways) and attempted to start it again.  When the boot screen came on, it would start the cycle of checking the devices and reporting their status.  First thing shown on screen was Port 1 and it errored out.  I restarted the computer and entered the BIOS to make sure that the fan was running and the processor was not getting overheated.  It all checked out fine in BIOS.  I restarted and the same issue with Port 1 showed up.  I turn the computer off again and check the cables, blew out the power supply, blew out the fan, and then attempted to restart the computer.  Now, I get no beep or anything yet I can hear the DVD Drive boot up and nothing else.  I removed the video card to see if I could get an error beep, and nothing.

I'm racking my brain trying to figure this out, but I do have my suspicions as to the culprit.  Any one want to help me brainstorm as to what it could be?

This has got to be one of the craziest threads I have seen in a while.

Problem:

1. You don't have a boot beep is the primary current problem

2. Previously you had a booting but defective system.

3. You have taken various steps that has made the original problem worse or have introduced a new problem so that there may be symptoms of two separate issues to consider.

Critical Information Missing:

- Brand and model of motherboard

- Brand and model number of CPU, RAM, GPU, any cards plugged in etc

- Brand and model number of Power Supply

- Brand and model of your CPU cooling system and layout/case/other fans etc.

Next Steps to Take:

1. Provide missing information

2. Get Boot Beep Back

2.A. Remove motherboard and Power Supply from case

2.B. remove all RAM

2.C. Turn on and get motherboard to beep about missing RAM

2.D. If beeping, then alternatively insert one RAM module and wait for boot beep

2.D. if not beeping, dead mobo, dead power supply, bad cable from power, foreign metallic object lodged in mobo, CPU needs re-seating.

3. Report bacck on all this and we will see what is next

• Like 2

OKay, I'm going to lay out the steps again.

1. Screen goes completely red and PC locks up

2. Shut down computer and cleaned out dust

3. Booted PC and was able to get in to BIOS to check diagnostics

4. Exited BIOS to come to a Port 1 error on the IRQ Check screen

5. Shut PC  down and checked cables

6. Booted up PC and got same error on IRQ check screen

7. Shut down PC and pulled video card to reseat

8. Attempted to boot PC and nothing will happen (no beeps, no lights, monitor stays asleep)

9. DVD Drive will initialize (possibly HDD as well) but nothing else

10. Posted on Neowin

11. Pulled memory and reseated after cleaning

12. Littering the air with massive amounts of expletives that can't be repeated on the forum

13. Went to bed

I am giving up on this computer.  It's almost 9 years old, and I have had it.  As I stated in the first post, I had my suspicions as to what the culprit was and I'm fairly (98%) certain it's a dead motherboard.

EDIT: One more thing.  Don't buy Acer. 

Edited by Lord Nite

I did read it.  I've read every suggestion thrown at me.  The only make and model of anything I can provide would be Acer X1200 computer prebuilt.  I thank everyone for their suggestions, but I'm calling it as a dead motherboard.

This computer has been nothing but issues since day one.  After only owning it for six month, the CPU burns out and I had to wait over a month for them to replace it and ship it back. They actually had the audacity to tell me it was my hard drive that failed and I'd need a new one!  Then, 5 years ago, the PSU completely dies and I had to wait 5 months before a replacement could be found.

Acer has given me nothing but headaches and, while I hate being without a main system, I'm actually surprised it took it this long to die.

Sounds like bad caps on the Motherboard or Power Supply. I wouldn't waste too much time with it based on your description.

Could you take a picture of the motherboard and post it here. I'm wondering if you had a bad capacitor on the motherboard. Make sure you get the entire board in the shot and in good high quality. Then we should be able to inspect the caps for you.

3 minutes ago, Joe User said:

Sounds like bad caps on the Motherboard or Power Supply. I wouldn't waste too much time with it based on your description.

Trust me, I'm not wasting any more time on this thing. 

1. If you followed the steps laid out we could get this working for you and there are a lot of human beings here willing to spend some of their precious time helping another human being.

2. Most likely after we zero in on a defective component you will have to spend money to replace it via local store or Newegg etc.

3. Your displeasure with your original purchase has created an attitude where your are completely unable to follow very simple steps and are also very unlikely to be motivated to spend money on repairs.

Conclusion: unless someone has a Meta-Idea on the overall situation,  there is no path forward.

Here's the thing though, the computer is almost 9 years old.  The price to replace the parts will be more than I paid for the computer to begin with.  I said that I appreciated all the help that was offered, but this computer is no longer worth the time or effort anymore.  Whether it is the memory, the motherboard, processor, or a myriad of other issues, it is no longer financially feasible to repair.  The best I can now do is try to save up for a new computer and just move files from the old drive onto the new one.

8 hours ago, Lord Nite said:

Here's the thing though, the computer is almost 9 years old.  The price to replace the parts will be more than I paid for the computer to begin with.  I said that I appreciated all the help that was offered, but this computer is no longer worth the time or effort anymore.  Whether it is the memory, the motherboard, processor, or a myriad of other issues, it is no longer financially feasible to repair.  The best I can now do is try to save up for a new computer and just move files from the old drive onto the new one.

Ever heard of eBay? You can save a bundle with older parts...

23 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Ever heard of eBay? You can save a bundle with older parts...

Based on scant evidence so far, Joe Users guess of Bad Caps seems as reasonable as anything, but again it is scant poorly diagnosed info so far and could be something else.

So it is a 2008 Athlon Dual Core @ 2.6 ghz

https://techcrunch.com/2008/07/08/acer-aspire-x1200-desktops-are-tiny-but-loaded/

Not a horrible CPU. I have one like this powering my ipfire.org main internet router.

Close visual inspection of the motherboard can catch Bad Caps but in this time period I have seen the Bad Caps hiding inside the power supply mostly.

- Replace power supply $50 (any new ATX)

- Replace motherboard $50 (ebay) 

It has a slot for a GPU card so something like a NVIDIA 550 Ti around $40 on ebay would make the unit enjoyable for Minecraft, etc.

So total cost of less than $100, gets a ipfire.org Router or a NAS box or a mild 2nd gaming computer for guests of all ages, etc.

I would do that, but then again, I am sitting in my home office surrounded by 12 running computers of which 5 of them fall into this category of re-purposed older computers. I love the Hum of Digital Energy, the Beauty of A Thousand Wires giving me a sense that I live in a unique age of empowered humans, ready to grab the Future of Man

Much more fun than reading about dumpy orange clown buffoons in the daily news...

acer1200x.thumb.jpg.73cb19d98f9608eb975e887a4fb094be.jpg