windows 8.1 pro on a thinkpad x250

ultimate99    51

I bought this thinkpad with windows 7 pro preinstalled. I've wiped the hard drive via it's recovery settings, however, I do have a windows 8.1 pro license key, would it make sense to upgrade now? I use several cloud services including OneDrive, but AFAIK in 8.1 I MUST use the builtin OneDrive app (which sucks). Is there a way to use it otherwise?

I know I can upgrade to win10, but I don't want to.

+goretsky    764

Hello,

From what I recollect, the ThinkPad X250 shipped with Microsoft Windows 8.1 (at least mine did), so I can't see there being any problem.

One feature of the X250-generation (and newer) ThinkPads is that Lenovo no longer implements a whitelist in the BIOS (UEFI) firmware for wireless network cards, so if you wanted to added a newer model of wireless card that should work.

Keep in mind that if you do wish to upgrade for free to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 because you use accessibility features the the option to do so expires on December 31. 2017 (about one week from today).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

+Mando    4,392

8.1 retail will install just fine and dandy on a X250, my old x201 flies with W10 (older than the x250)

+warwagon    10,266

Unless there is some reason you want to torture yourself with Windows 8.1 and that god awful start screen, I would download the media creation tool, and make your self a Windows 10 USB drive and install Windows 10 using either your Windows 7 or 8.1 pro key.

Nevermind just saw your first post.