Has the tripling of memory prices deter you from building a new PC?

13 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Now that prices of memory (specifically DDR4) has tripled since June 2016, has their prices deterred you from building a new PC?

One of these threads again? It hasn’t tripled except for low end stuff. Even then, it’s easy to shop around and avoid that. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/trends/price/memory/

tripled? where are people seeing tripled prices? Compared to when DDR4 came out it's DRASTICALLY cheaper 8GB of DDR4 is still around $99, that's well the same price I paid a couple years ago... and didn't you start a tread with this EXACT same topic a few months ago?

No...still rocking the 3770k.  My old notebook (2011) will be the next thing I replace.  Might build a new desktop next year ... but it isn't high on the priority list.

Kind of weird I was on a ~3 year cycle since 1996 ... but after this current build (2012), I just see no reason to replace it yet (aside from GPUs).  Cost of memory isn't really a factor...cost of a new CPU/Motherboard is.  :)  

7 minutes ago, neufuse said:

tripped? where are people seeing tripled prices? Compared to when DDR4 came out it's DRASTICALLY cheaper 8GB of DDR4 is still around $99, that's well the same price I paid a couple years ago... and didn't you start a tread with this EXACT same topic a few months ago?

I think his previous/similar topic was regarding SSDs.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

One of these threads again? It hasn’t tripled except for low end stuff. Even then, it’s easy to shop around and avoid that. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/trends/price/memory/

Want to check again?

Best selling memory kit: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15

June 2016: $69.99

Today: $204.99

15 minutes ago, neufuse said:

tripled? where are people seeing tripled prices? Compared to when DDR4 came out it's DRASTICALLY cheaper 8GB of DDR4 is still around $99, that's well the same price I paid a couple years ago... and didn't you start a tread with this EXACT same topic a few months ago?

Almost the same, but not quite ;)  Memory prices had merely doubled back then, but now they've gone up a further 50% since October, apparently lol

image.thumb.png.fcf881e2f597cd58e28adc335220b947.png

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Want to check again?

Best selling memory kit: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15

June 2016: $69.99

Today: $204.99

Show me that it was 69 in June 2016. Id like a link. How much you wanna bet it was during sale or there were rebates? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, neufuse said:

I think he is broke and looking for justification for not building a new machine. Last time it was for SSDs. Kinda weird, as I don’t think anyone cares about his situation either way. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Show me that it was 69 in June 2016. Id like a link. How much you wanna bet it was during sale or there were rebates? 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MYH48d/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3000c15?history_days=730

It was regular price.

I remember I regretted not buying it in June 2016 and then bought it in January 2017 for $109.99.

I thought it was going to go back down, but it went even higher.

5 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I think he is broke and looking for justification for not building a new machine.

You are wrong. I already bought it in January.

3 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MYH48d/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3000c15?history_days=730

It was regular price.

I remember I regretted not buying it in June 2016 and then bought it in January 2017 for $109.99.

I thought it was going to go back down, but it went even higher.

You are wrong. I already bought it in January.

I guess I wasn’t clear. I wanted an actual link that showed 69.99. 

2 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I guess I wasn’t clear. I wanted an actual link that showed 69.99. 

Give me a time machine and I take pictures for you.

1 minute ago, Mockingbird said:

Give me a time machine and I take pictures for you.

Then it’s your less than credible word you are asking me to accept? Newp, not hppening. 

• Like 2

Just now, adrynalyne said:

Then it’s your less than credible word you are asking me to accept? Newp, not hppening. 

Are you just being intentionally obnoxious?

There is no link because that price doesn't exist anymore, but you can see in pcpartpicker that the price existed in June 2016.

Just now, Mockingbird said:

Are you just being intentionally obnoxious?

There is no link because that price doesn't exist anymore, but you can see in pcpartpicker that the price existed in June 2016.

Ironic question. I see it existed on Newegg. I want to see it wasn’t a sale or rebate, which is information you are expecting to just trust you with. 

Just now, Jim K said:

Read above. 

1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

Ironic question. I see it existed on Newegg. I want to see it wasn’t a sale or rebate, which is information you are expecting to just trust you with. 

Read above. 

Was the same price on Amazon.  Between Apr - Oct 2016 it ranged between $70-$85

Just now, adrynalyne said:

And how do you expect me to do that?

Do you have a time machine I can use?

1 minute ago, Mockingbird said:

And how do you expect me to do that?

Do you have a time machine I can use?

Like I said, if you can’t provide that information, you can’t expect me to just take you at your word for obvious reasons. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Was the same price on Amazon.  Between Apr - Oct 2016 it ranged between $70-$85

You are misunderstanding me. I’m not denying the price. I want to see it wasn’t a sale or rebate that drove the price that low. Those are conditions that draw a rather inaccurate picture of a trend. 

55 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

You are misunderstanding me. I’m not denying the price. I want to see it wasn’t a sale or rebate that drove the price that low. Those are conditions that draw a rather inaccurate picture of a trend. 

No, I understand ... but you are practically asking the impossible.  Providing a range of a price (over 6 months) should give a pretty idea that $70 shouldn't be inconceivable.  Though, I do believe we are stuck on one particular product which doesn't represent the whole industry.  :)  I believe it is safe to say that memory prices have at least doubled, on average, in the last year or so.  Not entirely sure what 2018 will bring.

• Like 3