Has the tripling of memory prices deter you from building a new PC?

1 hour ago, Mockingbird said:

Are you just being intentionally obnoxious?

That exact same question can be asked about you.

Seeing every time you post crap like this.

If it doesn't affect you, like you've said in an earlier comment, then why make topics about it?

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

38 minutes ago, Jim K said:

No, I understand ... but you are practically asking the impossible.  Providing a range of a price (over 6 months) should give a pretty idea that $70 shouldn't be inconceivable.  Though, I do believe we are stuck on one particular product which doesn't represent the whole industry.  :)  I believe it is safe to say that memory prices have at least doubled, on average, in the last year or so.  Not entirely sure what 2018 will bring.

Fwiw, my 32gb 1866 vengeance red kit was £280 when I bought it, about 3+ years ago, same model kit is still £280 on amazon

28 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Fwiw, my 32gb 1866 vengeance red kit was £280 when I bought it, about 3+ years ago, same model kit is still £280 on amazon

Yea, which is why you really cannot take one product to make a point.  The 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 I bought for $340 in 2012 is now $310 (NewEgg).

However, the memory that has been discussed in various posts here was around $85 at one point (June 2, 2016 on the Corsair - Wayback Machine) ... and it is now $205 (down from $215 in November)...140-150% increase'ish.  Triple, no ... more than doubled, oh yes.

....anyway ... not sure of the point now.  :) 

I'm going back to my original point of no, memory prices aren't affecting my decision to upgrade.  Being perfectly happy with my current system is affecting my decision to upgrade.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

my 16Gb ddr4 3200 vengence beats it, simply cos its blue and ultimately cooler :p same price now. £180

Yeah I wanted to build a new PC. What would have cost me about 1500-1600 now cost me 2100, I am waiting. I just kinda wanted to do it for ###### and giggles, but this is just way too pricey.

Bitcoin has killed the market for it along with gpu's.. Sort of glad they are getting kicked in the balls this week.. Maybe it will start to settle down now, along with the prices these days on some parts.

51 minutes ago, Mando said:

my 16Gb ddr4 3200 vengence beats it, simply cos its blue and ultimately cooler :p same price now. £180

Until your autocad or Photoshop is into 24 to 28 gig of ram....... :p

Besides wanting to throw bricks at the messenger and play a game of "My RAM is Larger Than Yours" there is an interesting topic here.

We usually have an expectation that due to increased manufacturing efficiency and reduction in FAB process sizes, that RAM should simply trend down over time.

The last time this did not happen in a big way it was determined to be an Illegal Cartel of manufacturers colluding to rip off the world.

What is going on this time?

2 hours ago, DevTech said:

Besides wanting to throw bricks at the messenger and play a game of "My RAM is Larger Than Yours" there is an interesting topic here.

We usually have an expectation that due to increased manufacturing efficiency and reduction in FAB process sizes, that RAM should simply trend down over time.

The last time this did not happen in a big way it was determined to be an Illegal Cartel of manufacturers colluding to rip off the world.

What is going on this time?

Most likely seasonal price fluctuation 

Until proven otherwise

3 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Until your autocad or Photoshop is into 24 to 28 gig of ram....... :p

lol dont do either its a games machine :) but EVERYONE knows blue leds are cooler than red. :shiftyninja:

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Just find some, like you do all your other PC parts (supposedly)

And his Surface & Zune! :laugh:

• Haha 2

We have seen these types of threads before from the OP - but TBH - if it were anyone else posting, there wouldnt be any hostility.  However, given the OP's past posts, it does induce a case of "not this crap again from him....why ?"

As far as tripling of memory prices - you are right, but it isnt across the board.

Im assuming you've looked @ https://pcpartpicker.com/trends/price/memory/#ram.288dimm.ddr4_2133.4x4096

Im sure it has caused some to stop - those small margins who decide building will save them $100.

But for those of us who build because we want to handpick the best parts - I doubt it is a deterrent for many.  

Besides, if you're looking @ dropping $2500 on a build - a couple hundred dollars isnt delaying anything.

Its like when people buy a $1,300,000 car, they aren't going to wait till there is a sale on carbon fiber ashtrays. (which are $1200 on the LaFerrari :) )

• Like 1