trying to modernize the wiring in my parents house.

i know this is the central hub of the phone system. i have no idea what this mess of wires really is... how they are really connecting. can someone explain this thing to me and what a good modern replacement would be

WP_20171224_05_43_17_Pro.jpg

Looks like an electrical junction box. Is there a specific reason why you want to re-do the cabling? Might be best to get an electrician to give the house a once over and sign off if it's safe and if not, they will know what to re-wire (ie: install circuit breakers instead of fuses etc).

edit: OK must be an American thing, our MDFs for phones look nothing like that.

Edited by HoochieMamma

It's a grounding strip for the phone circuit. It's old but I see no issue with it. The wires all look newer and I see no problems at all with the install. Aside from a newer block to pretty it up, you would see no improvement in line quality per say. It should be just fine judging by that photo..

You could upgrade it to one of these if you like.

lOl1DBp.jpg

Edited by JoseyWales

1 hour ago, seta-san said:

i know this is the central hub of the phone system. i have no idea what this mess of wires really is... how they are really connecting. can someone explain this thing to me and what a good modern replacement would be

In 2017, the word "Modernize" and retro land line do not go together.

Although there is probably no English word to describe "Bring ye oldenish olde technology a bit up to date to the last time period where everyone then stopped using it to the best knowledge of archaeologists studying that culture"

You could just run high speed fibre to the house. The connection will actually be modern.

1 hour ago, seta-san said:

4 minutes ago, DevTech said:

In 2017, the word "Modernize" and retro land line do not go together.

Although there is probably no English word to describe "Bring ye oldenish olde technology a bit up to date to the last time period where everyone then stopped using it to the best knowledge of archaeologists studying that culture"

You could just run high speed fibre to the house. The connection will actually be modern.

not helpful. the old timers are stuck in their ways. I'm looking to redo the wiring and actually move everything into a single, clean, structured media panel. i just had no idea what that device was and how integral it was to the whole system. now that i know that it was a grounding system that actually had it's grounding cut 15 years ago I'm not actually that worried about it. I'm now just looking for a new hub that would work well in a structured media panel.

it's not just this. there's going to coax for the cable everywhere and eithernet for the few connections they have around the house.

5 minutes ago, seta-san said:

not helpful. the old timers are stuck in their ways. I'm looking to redo the wiring and actually move everything into a single, clean, structured media panel. i just had no idea what that device was and how integral it was to the whole system. now that i know that it was a grounding system that actually had it's grounding cut 15 years ago I'm not actually that worried about it. I'm now just looking for a new hub that would work well in a structured media panel.

it's not just this. there's going to coax for the cable everywhere and eithernet for the few connections they have around the house.

Between high speed internet and VOIP lines and Skype etc combined with everyone having a cell phone, there is an obvious huge trend toward simply letting those land line panels rot away since they are no longer connected to anything.

I dumped mine years ago and I was being a bit of a retro hold out at the time... I know of almost nobody with a land line anymore, but perhaps this effect is geographic?

Just now, DevTech said:

Between high speed internet and VOIP lines and Skype etc combined with everyone having a cell phone, there is an obvious huge trend toward simply letting those land line panels rot away since they are no longer connected to anything.

I dumped mine years ago and I was being a bit of a retro hold out at the time... I know of almost nobody with a land line anymore, but perhaps this effect is geographic?

yeah. look at my parent's panel there again. in the left side is the hot wire. on the right you will see SIX that go to phones throughout their whole house. what void service is going to service six phones?

4 minutes ago, seta-san said:

yeah. look at my parent's panel there again. in the left side is the hot wire. on the right you will see SIX that go to phones throughout their whole house. what void service is going to service six phones?

Well, I honestly thought you might have making a subtle joke with your first post.

Realistically, I would use whatever technology made the most economic sense for my needs and respect the choice of anyone to do likewise. Depending on where you are located and what the costs of various services are, it may be least expensive to string 6 extension phones off of a land line.

Alternatives would be one of those Panasonic wireless kits with a base phone and 4 extensions connected to a land line or VOIP.

I use Line 2 (https://line2.com/) for VOIP since I get a free 888 toll free number with it that makes BOTH incoming and outgoing calls completely toll free across all of Mexico, United States and Canada.

I can run the client for that on any cell phone or desktop PC and I usually have several PC's running it to listen for incoming calls. I can also add additional VOIP channels on top of it. But even for VOIP that is a non-traditional setup and the pros and cons break out very differently to retro land line and even traditional VOIP. 

Old school VOIP with hand sets that direct connect to internet breakouts around the house are probably closest to mimicking a land line setup. The equipment cost can be excessive and is predicated on a very high land-line monthly fee which actually exists and makes it economical depending on geography.

8 minutes ago, seta-san said:

this is what i want to do with their mess of a wiring situation

Inside Strucutred Media Enclosure 1.jpg

I have saved that picture for future joking around. I'm sure it is just marketing madness, but I had to LOL with a Wireless Access Point inside a metal utility panel...