Linux Printer

How did this turn into cloud computing and ITAR restrictions?

Dude are you plan on doing LPR or CUPs printing?  Brother has linux support yes.. As to why wireless comes into the discussion also at a loss.  So your mom moves this printer all over the house?  Printer sits there - connect it with a wire!!  Yeah I know printers have wireless now like all of them even the cheapest of the cheapest..  That has zero to do with what OS your running.. That is as simple as setting the printer the correct SSID and PSK to get on your wireless network.

You would then set it up with a dhcp reservation or static IP so you always know it will have a specific IP... Then on your linux machine set it up to print to that IP.  Done..

If you need a monochrome printer.. I would suggest

Brother Mono Laser Printer (HL-L2360DW)

Its $130 at staples.. It has wired networking and wireless.  Also your other option if you get something without networking is just a pocket print server..  Something like

https://www.amazon.com/TL-PS110U-ethernet-supports-Internet-Printing/dp/980035977X

edit:  Ok I was curious how freaking hard could this be so I fired up a Mint 18.3 -- clicked add printer.. Bing bang zoom I am printing.. I just used the generic PCL Laser Printer  Took all of like 30 seconds...  Printing to my Brother HL-3170CDW..

printer.thumb.png.0652e7756b2322872975c5fa807ba954.png

I think your over thinking the whole thing ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

No, no. ITAR Restrictions and University R&D that needs to stay on-site. Not some convoluted or make-believe fantasy land BS. Real-world concerns.

And there's no harm in thanking anyone for being civil or attempting to be helpful, is there? Or even having good manners? You're a respected member of the Community here, and certainly it's polite to thank someone for suggesting alternatives. Seriously, it's all good and I appreciate it.

You will perhaps get used to my humor or not.

We were having an interesting discussion on VMs and then out of nowhere you mentioned Azure which has nothing to do with Hyper-V technology and then when I mused about your Azure comment you went full circular logic into saying this thing you suggested in the first place was not suitable due to a on-premise requirement.

So to re-cap:

1. We talk about Hyper-V hypervisor technology

2. You mention a cloud provider (Azure) is no good because you cant' do a custom VM (incorrect anyways) and no connection to the topic at that point.

3. I mention some advantages of Azure.

4. You say you can't use Cloud due to needing on-premise data for Secret Reasons

5. So instead of replying that you should never have mentioned Cloud in the first place, I tried to imagine a scenario where you needed to mention cloud but were bound by secrets and it popped into my head that the paradox of using cloud was solved if you have a secret room in their Data Center so that your cloud usage is actually on-premise for your Secret Society. A much more fun answer than suggesting you were not making any sense.

No need to invoke "The Official Secrets Act" any further on this topic. I don't want to meet James Shaken Not Stirred 3 Digit Hitman For Her Majesty's Secret Service.

.... Hits RESET ...

Anyways I'm still interested in discussion concerning non-cloud usage of Hypervisors for various usage scenarios, particularly Windows 10 Pro Hyper-V but also KVM's ability to accept a pass-through Hypervisor access from Hyper-V to in turn run the KVM Hypervisor on sub-VMs

On 12/29/2017 at 7:42 PM, DevTech said:

Anyways I'm still interested in discussion concerning non-cloud usage of Hypervisors for various usage scenarios

And how does that have anything to do with OP simple question of what printer to buy to print from linux? :huh:

3 hours ago, BudMan said:

And how does that have anything to do with OP simple question of what printer to buy to print from linux? :huh:

Because Dev started it? Look at his first post in here....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BudMan said:

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

Because Dev started it? Look at his first post in here....

Don't you always want to imagine that every time old friends come together to start a discussion here that it could be a Magical Mystery Tour?

Perhaps we will discover a new algorithm, or start a Neowin Homebrew Project or simply stop at a post count of 42.

The future awaits and we are all building it one bit at a time! Happy New Year Everyone! May 2018 embark upon that special journey that defines us all, to boldly go where no Neowinian has gone before...