Simple Windows Desktop Diagram

Here is a Diagram I created for my customers. I created this after I had to help 2 customers in a row that didn't know where anything was at, thus the time it took me to walk them through getting me connected was long. Feel free to use this if you find it useful.

38644346784_7125a926ca_b.jpg D

Original Quality

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very nice - although I can imagine there would be some folks who would say "I don't have that long blue rectangle on the left, does that mean I don't have a Desktop?"  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, devHead said:

Very nice - although I can imagine there would be some folks who would say "I don't have that long blue rectangle on the left, does that mean I don't have a Desktop?"  

no doubt.

Yes...probably could do without the rectangle (maybe have "Desktop" centered at top center of screen).  No arrow pointing at the start button (unlike the other labels). People do not know where the clock is...seriously?!?!

Maybe one label for the system tray?

Otherwise...clean.

9 minutes ago, Jim K said:

People do not know where the clock is...seriously?!?!

They do if you call it "The time" .. not so much if you call it the clock. But I always call it the clock so that's why it's labeled clock in the photo.

As far as the arrows, for each box on the Minimize, Max and close I had to draw an arrow to the name because there was enough room to write it otherwise. I'm just going to assume (which is always dangerous) that the person is smart enough to realize the closest red box is what that label is referring too.

an arrow to file explorer folder would be a good one :)

No, thats internet "explorer" the yellow folder next to it...why MS removed "My" from "Computer" escapes me.

Where did that screenshot come from?  Your desktop?  You think you have enough tray icons??  WTF?  ;) Almost as bad as those desktops that are just icons..

Also would make the icons/taskbar a bit bigger.. Users that would need such help are normally older, older people vision not as good..   But love the left right click mouse.... The question is how do you get to show this to customers?  Do you snail mail it to them, do you hand it to them when they come into your office/shop?

I find it hard to believe users that would need this being able to open email or go to a website to view such a picture ;)

2 hours ago, BudMan said:

Where did that screenshot come from?  Your desktop?  You think you have enough tray icons??  WTF?  ;) Almost as bad as those desktops that are just icons..

Also would make the icons/taskbar a bit bigger.. Users that would need such help are normally older, older people vision not as good..   But love the left right click mouse.... The question is how do you get to show this to customers?  Do you snail mail it to them, do you hand it to them when they come into your office/shop?

I find it hard to believe users that would need this being able to open email or go to a website to view such a picture ;)

lol know what you mean, its a bugbear of mine also :) 

mine

agree.thumb.jpg.980c501b167bb079e1a5d82bff2c2fde.jpg

Nice job. I to used to have something similar for when I took on support work, binned that idea a long time ago but if I can track down the image i used to use, I'll post it up.

It was the same sort of thing but the text was outside of the image of a desktop with arrows and lines leading to the element being described.

On 12/30/2017 at 7:35 AM, BudMan said:

Maybe something to give out when they are at my office. if they bring their desktop machine in I already give them a Desktop hookup diagram showing them how to hook it back up when they get home.

As far as the tray icons, yes a few of them could go. The ones that would usually always be there are.

Secureaplus
internet download manager <--- yes I could close it but it gets used so much it would be open again shortly after.
sandboxie
USB drive mount icon
GRC SQRL Client
Glasswire
F.lux
Plushbullet
Unchecky.

It's on a 30 inch screen, at a high resolution, so its not taking up that much space.