how to use wireless printer and NAS with only an access point?

I connect to the internet at university via an access point, no router in the unit. I'd typically need my university's ID/password to connect. However, I have a NAS and wireless printer that I want to use and I know it can be done normally with a router.

I did some googling and found out that I need a router with WISP, so I bought this: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00TQEX8BO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I followed the instructions here: http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1325.html

I tried Hot Spot and Client, don't work. I realized that my security type is Enterprise, could that be the problem?

Protocol:    802.11n
Security type:    WPA2-Enterprise
Type of sign-in info:    Microsoft: Protected EAP (PEAP)

Most university ban such access..  Atleast here in the US..  All devices need to securely connect to the school network, hiding behind a router allows for unknown to the university devices to use the network.  To get your wisp router to connect to the school wifi network you would need the details of method of auth.  While you believe its just a username and password - it could be way more involved than that.. Did you have to install any sort of client on your laptop that can connect?  Is your laptop joined to say the school Active Directory domain?

Changing the connection to psk mode to your school wifi would not be correct if your saying you used username and password to auth - unless that auth was through some sort of captive portal.  You really need to understand the schools controls to access their wifi, and really suggest you contact them on adding such a device as your wisp router to their network.

But if what you want to do is allow your laptop to use your nas and printer that are wifi - this has nothing to do with access the school network at the same time.  You have a couple of options here..

You create a local wifi network with the router you bought - or return it and just get whatever cheap wifi router that I am sure is cheaper than a wisp router.  You then connect your printer and nas to this network be it with wire to the router or wifi network you created.. Yes you would create just a psk network.

Then you connect your laptop to that wifi network when you want to use those resources, or connect it to that router with a wire from your laptop which would allow you to leverage your schools network via wifi at the same time you access your other resources..

I again really really suggest you get with your schools IT dept on methods of adding devices and restrictions, etc. etc.

On 12/30/2017 at 8:07 AM, BudMan said:

Most university ban such access..  Atleast here in the US..  All devices need to securely connect to the school network, hiding behind a router allows for unknown to the university devices to use the network.  To get your wisp router to connect to the school wifi network you would need the details of method of auth.  While you believe its just a username and password - it could be way more involved than that.. Did you have to install any sort of client on your laptop that can connect?  Is your laptop joined to say the school Active Directory domain?

I didn't install any client on my laptop, I just select the network and type my username and password.

Changing the connection to psk mode to your school wifi would not be correct if your saying you used username and password to auth - unless that auth was through some sort of captive portal.  You really need to understand the schools controls to access their wifi, and really suggest you contact them on adding such a device as your wisp router to their network.

But if what you want to do is allow your laptop to use your nas and printer that are wifi - this has nothing to do with access the school network at the same time.  You have a couple of options here..

Yes, this is what I want.

You create a local wifi network with the router you bought - or return it and just get whatever cheap wifi router that I am sure is cheaper than a wisp router.  You then connect your printer and nas to this network be it with wire to the router or wifi network you created.. Yes you would create just a psk network.

How do I create a local wifi network? I can return the wisp router as it has only 1 lan. If I get a regular router, I'll connect the printer and NAS via ethernet cables to the router, slots 1 and 2. Now  what?

Then you connect your laptop to that wifi network when you want to use those resources, or connect it to that router with a wire from your laptop which would allow you to leverage your schools network via wifi at the same time you access your other resources..

I again really really suggest you get with your schools IT dept on methods of adding devices and restrictions, etc. etc.

You create a local network on any wifi router by picking a SSID and setting a password on it..   Many of them have a default wifi network already on them - like linksys or belkin or netgear, etc. etc..

If you do not connect anything to the "wan" of the wifi router then all it will be is local network for devices connected to is network ports, or connected to the wifi network(s) you create..

If you connect you printer and nas via a wire to this router.. Then any device that connects to the wifi network you created on this wifi router will have access to them.. Just not internet.