Which Linux distribution do you prefer? (2018 Edition)

Which Linux distribution do you prefer?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite?

• Ubuntu (whatever flavour)
    • Mint
    • Debian
    • Arch
    • Elementary OS
    • Fedora
    • CentOS
    • Gentoo
    • Slackware
    • OpenSUSE
    • Red Hat Enterprise
    • I roll my own
    • Other (Please specify)

Arch, just because I want it my way. Would rather build up my own thing than tear down somebody else's idea of what I should have. KDE Neon would be my second pick.

I use Lubuntu partly because I have a couple old machines and partly because it's a quite a basic and simple install that works amazingly fast on ANY machine! Have always liked basic and simple!!

Use Debian on occasion also.

I have tried many distros over the years but always keep coming back to Ubuntu, because it has always worked perfectly out of the box and I like to keep things simple, however I quite liked Mageia and OpenSUSE. I know it's not Linux but I installed PC-BSD on a old Acer laptop about 2 years ago and everything worked really well too, now it's called TrueOS, if I built a new and modern system I think this is what I would go with now.

I haven't messed with Linux in years, but I used to use Gentoo. Loved the idea of building a completely custom kernel tailored to my needs.

2 minutes ago, patseguin said:

I haven't messed with Linux in years, but I used to use Gentoo. Loved the idea of building a completely custom kernel tailored to my needs.

Can do that with Arch, too, mate...

• Like 2

I’ve tried quite a few and while I don’t particularly care for Ubuntu, it’s one of the most supported distros out there which becomes a big deal if you want to compile Android. For instance, Solus is pretty awesome, but try collecting all the items you need for an AOSP build environment. I don’t have that kind of patience. 

• 3 weeks later...

Still use Xubuntu, but with full Ubuntu Gnome experience, and my long-time favorite Fluxbox window manager as my primary desktop.

3 hours ago, markjensen said:

Still use Xubuntu, but with full Ubuntu Gnome experience, and my long-time favorite Fluxbox window manager as my primary desktop.

I do the same, Mark. Xubuntu is sleek, fast, and stable. That is my primary OS now.

On 30/12/2017 at 3:03 PM, Mindovermaster said:

I use Mint atm. But I might move to Manjaro soon...

why the change?

58 minutes ago, Haggis said:

why the change?

Pacman/Aur had better software available than debian/ubuntu/mint had. Dunno why I ever moved back to Mint. Simplicity, I guess.

• Like 2

Whatever is supported well for Hyper-V and .NET Core which usually comes down to Ubuntu and CentOS/RHEL - Ubuntu probably has a few extra integration hooks out of the box into Windows 10 and of course Ubuntu code is buried in every Windows 10.

Supported Ubuntu virtual machines on Hyper-V:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/supported-ubuntu-virtual-machines-on-hyper-v

Supported CentOS and Red Hat Enterprise Linux virtual machines on Hyper-V:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/supported-centos-and-red-hat-enterprise-linux-virtual-machines-on-hyper-v

Best Practices for running Linux on Hyper-V:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/best-practices-for-running-linux-on-hyper-v

With Hyper-V you can let Windows 10 have all the latest drivers for stuff and pass through what you need to your Linux running at Hypervisor speed.

A little know fact is that when you turn on Hyper-V in Windows 10 Pro, It converts your Windows 10 into a VM running under the Hyper-V Hypervisor in such a transparent manner that you don't know it's happening.

So at that point, running Linux is just another VM and running it native probably provides no advantages and switching distros is no big decision since you can have all of the possible candiates running at the same time!

I picked "Other" because it doesn't exactly fit under OpenSUSE, but I prefer to use SuSE Linux Enterprise Server.  I have Ubuntu Server 17.10 on a VM to use as my UniFi controller - and I absolutely hate it.

1 hour ago, DevTech said:

So at that point, running Linux is just another VM and running it native probably provides no advantages and switching distros is no big decision since you can have all of the possible candiates running at the same time!

Yeah, then Windows 10 Blue Screens. OH NOES!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

...sure? That’s happened to me once in the last year and a half. 

10 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

...sure? That’s happened to me once in the last year and a half. 

I've heard enough horror stories about Windows 10. All over FB. See either a BSOD or a sigm saying "please wait while..." for updates, for system, blah...

I should've added a /s or /r, but I guess no one caught that...

11 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I've heard enough horror stories about Windows 10. All over FB. See either a BSOD or a sigm saying "please wait while..." for updates, for system, blah...

I should've added a /s or /r, but I guess no one caught that...

Because the same type of people making those posts are not running Linux, likely because they don't know how. Otherwise it would be replaced with [insert horror story from insert OS]. You always hear the most horror stories from the most common OS.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

That is not a modern assessment of anything and seems odd in 2018 to see old fashioned "FUD" like that.

The vast majority of Windows Blue Screens were due to device drivers coded by thousands of 3rd party companies to support the vast array of available hardware on Windows. It is amazing that Microsoft has been able to manage this situation into a very rare event.

Has anyone here seen a Windows 10 Blue Screen lately?

The convenience of running multiple Linux and Windows VMs on an incredibility efficient and powerful Hypervisor produces a platform that drives the progress of both Windows and Linux simultaneously. The cross-pollination between the two O/S constantly increases. For example, a major convergence of the Windows and Linux networking stack to permit the embedding of Docker and Kubernetes support into Windows, Linux and MacOS...

http://blog.kubernetes.io/2017/09/windows-networking-at-parity-with-linux.html

Ubuntu is my choice, its well supported and plays nice with both Esxi and Hyper-V.

Usually if I have an issue, someone else has already had that same issue so a resolution can be found quickly.

My main experiences comes from using Ubuntu Server for various projects, not so much from a desktop point of view.

23 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Pacman/Aur had better software available than debian/ubuntu/mint had. Dunno why I ever moved back to Mint. Simplicity, I guess.

had a play with it in Vbox, seems decent

On 12/30/2017 at 9:03 AM, Mindovermaster said:

I use Mint atm. But I might move to Manjaro soon...

been using Manjaro for the past couple years and love it but switched back to Fedora for now for the Wayland support. Will probably switch back to Manjaro once XFCE starts supporting Wayland