Which Linux distribution do you prefer? (2018 Edition)

Which Linux distribution do you prefer?  

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mindovermaster
2 minutes ago, LaP said:

Really? I thought it was running unity. Anyway it looks like Unity probably just a theme? I don't know much about desktop Linux lol i installed it and it runs that's as far as i know Linux outside of servers (terminal).

Well 18.04 doesn't come with Unity. Might get that mixed up with GNOME which is very similar, in ways.

• 1 month later...
Denis W.

For something to use in a VM, Lubuntu is least likely (amongst the *buntu derivatives) to drive me nuts with its UI. Simple and no nonsense.

For server use, it's primarily Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04. For my personal server, it's a Debian derivative (Raspbian Lite).

Mindovermaster
36 minutes ago, Denis W. said:

For something to use in a VM, Lubuntu is least likely (amongst the *buntu derivatives) to drive me nuts with its UI. Simple and no nonsense.

For server use, it's primarily Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04. For my personal server, it's a Debian derivative (Raspbian Lite).

Ever use OpenBox? That's about as hosed down as you can go without terminal.

Gerowen

Recently moved my primary PC back to Debian, like my server.  I ran Windows 10 on it for a long time and gamed on it, but I've been using it for more work related tasks and doing more gaming on my Nintendo Switch because, with my bad knee it can be painful to sit at a desk for any period of time and it's easier to sit on the couch and game while I let my PC render videos or whatever.

Denis W.
On 10/2/2018 at 9:57 PM, Mindovermaster said:

Ever use OpenBox? That's about as hosed down as you can go without terminal.

Seeing Lubuntu uses LXDE which in turn uses Openbox, technically yes :p

tiagosilva29

Relationship Status: It's complicated

Currently using Debian, but sometimes I flirt with antiX

cork1958

Have Lubuntu 18.04.01 on most of my machines (6), but also have Linux Mint 19 on one. Really like the Mint though.

Have Lubuntu because I like the simple and less bloated stuff! :)

Edit: I knew I had voted on this before, but the option to vote showed up so figured I hadn't and I couldn't even see the number of pages in this topic until after I replied this time! Only thing different between this post and first one is the part about using Mint instead of Debian.

Mindovermaster
14 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Have Lubuntu 18.04.01 on most of my machines (6), but also have Linux Mint 19 on one. Really like the Mint though.

Have Lubuntu because I like the simple and less bloated stuff! :)

Edit: I knew I had voted on this before, but the option to vote showed up so figured I hadn't and I couldn't even see the number of pages in this topic until after I replied this time! Only thing different between this post and first one is the part about using Mint instead of Debian.

Andrew swipes this thread every year. So you could have just voted last year. ;)

cork1958
40 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Andrew swipes this thread every year. So you could have just voted last year. ;)

Darn Andrew!! 🤣

bfoos

Other... Antergos (KDE Plasma) for me. Pacman with AUR is quite nice. I'd been wanting to get away from Ubuntu for some time and in fact I did stop using Ubuntu -and consequently Linux entirely when they switched to Unity- and try something new. Arch Linux has always intrigued me but setting it up seemed a daunting idea to me. Antergos solves that. While their graphical installer (Cnchi) can be buggy and downright temperamental at times, when it works it greatly eases the process of getting an Arch based system up and running. I've been back amongst the land of Linux for about a week now and Antergos has really breathed new life into my ageing HP DV7 1130US.

Incidentally, I believe it has been over 10 years since last I posted on Neowin and I hope at least that breaking my silence has added a little value to this thread.

• 1 month later...
Matthew S.

I'm currently rolling my own LFS/BLFS distro at the moment.

• Nick H. unpinned this topic
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      Linux Mint 20.2 'Uma' to get beta release by mid-June
      by Paul Hill

Clement Lefebvre, head of the Linux Mint project, has published a blog post revealing that Linux Mint 20.2 is codenamed 'Uma' and is set for a beta release by the middle of June. The new release will still be based upon Ubuntu 20.04 LTS but comes with an upgrade to the Cinnamon, MATE, and Xfce desktops and comes with newer hardware enablement stacks that ship with Ubuntu LTS point releases.

Linux Mint 20.2 will feature a new XApp (apps made by the Mint team) called Bulky that allows the users to rename files in bulk on both the Cinnamon and MATE versions of Mint. On Xfce, the Thunar file manager already comes with an embedded bulk renamer so Bulky won’t need to be shipped with the Xfce edition of Mint.

Another change in Linux Mint 20.2 is the inclusion of Nemo 5.0, the file manager on the Cinnamon edition of Linux Mint. With Nemo 5.0, users can now perform a content search in addition to a file’s name. The new content search will look for search terms within documents and return the document to the user if the search finds anything relevant.

The local file-sharing program Warpinator, which was released with Linux Mint 20, has also been updated. Now, users can select which network interface they want to share files on if they have several available. Additionally, a new option to compress files that are sent has been added, this should reduce the amount of time it takes to send large files.

Finally, the NVIDIA Prime applet has been updated to fix an issue where the applet would disappear from the tray. It also contains support for computers with AMD/NVIDIA hybrids.

Linux Mint 20.2, just like the rest of the 20.x series, will be supported until around April or May of 2025. At that time, it will stop receiving software updates and users will need to upgrade if they want their system to stay secure.

• By indospot
      You can now run Linux GUI apps in Windows 10 [Update]
      by João Carrasqueira

As this year's Build developer event kicks off, Microsoft has announced a major new feature for Windows 10 - the ability to run Linux apps with a GUI. This is a major expansion of the Windows Subsystem for Linux, which already lets you run command line-based Linux apps, and it means you can now use GUI apps without having to set up a traditional virtual machine with a Linux distribution.

Interestingly, this feature has actually been in testing with Windows Insiders on the Dev channel since April, but it isn't coming through a typical Windows 10 feature update. It's just available now for existing versions of Windows 10 and you can start using it right away.

That's not all that's new for Windows developers either. Microsoft also announced that Microsoft Edge WebView2 is now generally available in WinUI 3.0. The new WebView is powered by the Chromium-based Edge browser, and it's been gradually rolling out starting with Win32 C/C++ apps, followed by .NET, WinForms, and WPF. Now, it's generally available for WinUI 3.0 as well, after spending some time in preview form. This allows you to implement web elements into native apps, such as for signing into a service.

Project Reunion is also getting a new preview update to version 0.8, which will be the next big update following the release of version 0.5 in March. Version 0.8 brings support for developing apps for both client and cloud endpoints, and general availability is planned for this quarter, according to the roadmap.

Finally, Microsoft also announced Windows Terminal 1.9 Preview, the latest release of its unified command line tool. This version adds Quake Mode, which allows users to launch Windows Terminal from anywhere in Windows with a simple keyboard shortcut.

Editor's note: Despite some confusing wording in Microsoft's book of news from Build 2021, this feature is not generally available yet. You'll need to be running a Windows 10 Insider Preview build to do this.

• By News Staff
      Learn Linux in 5 Days - Free Download
      by Steven Parker

If you want to learn how to use Linux and level up your career but are pressed for time, read on.

In this eBook, you will learn the most important concepts and commands, and be guided step-by-step through several practical and real-world examples. As new concepts, commands, or jargon are encountered they are explained in plain language, making it easy to understand. The most important material is condensed into five sections, each designed to be consumed in a day.

Here is what you will learn:

How to gain access to a Linux server and what Linux distribution is What software is needed and what SSH is The file system layout of Linux systems and where to find programs, configurations, and documentation Basic Linux commands you'll use the most often And much, much more If you feel like you don't have enough time and you're not sure where to start, this resource will help relieve your frustration and guide you toward the answers you need.

How to get it
      Please ensure you read the terms and conditions to download this resource. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this free offer. If you have previously made use of these free offers, you will not need to re-register.

Learn Linux in 5 Days - Free Download
      Offered by Linux Training Academy | Limited time offer

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other free eBooks on offer you can check out here.

Enter giveaways: Polycade Home Arcade | $5K in cash | $10K in Crypto Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Neowin Store for our preferred partners. Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: A valid email address is required to fulfill your request. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this offer. By submitting a request, your information is subject to TradePub.com's Privacy Policy.

• By News Staff
      Download 7 Linux Training Academy eBooks, for free for a limited time
      by Steven Parker

Thanks to our partners, we have been able to team up with Jason Cannon, the founder of the Linux Training Academy, to offer you seven free eBooks on everything Linux.

As part of the offer, the following books are available to download:

VirtualBox Troubleshooting Tips - Download
      Use this guide for your troubleshooting. Scrum Checklist - Download
      This checklist covers the Scrum essentials. Bash Command Line Pro Tips - Download
      As someone that has used the Bash shell almost daily for over 15 years, Jason Cannon has accumulated several command line "tricks" that have saved him time and frustration Python Cheat Sheet - Download
      Check out this cheat sheet for the Python computer language and computer programming. Resources for Eliminating Single Points of Failure for the LAMP Stack - Download
      Before you can start to eliminate single points of failure in a system you need to identify all the components that make up that system. Linux Alternatives For Windows Applications - Download
      If you're thinking to yourself, "What software is available on Linux?" and "Will I be able to use my favorite programs and applications on Linux?" this guide is for you. Linux Command Line Cheat Sheet - Download
      Did you know that there are literally hundreds of Linux commands? Even on a bare-bones Linux server install there are easily over 1,000 different commands. A library of free resources provided on behalf of Linux Training Academy.

How to get them
      Please ensure you read the terms and conditions to download the above eBooks. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this free offer. If you have previously made use of these free offers, you will not need to re-register.

Click on the above titles for a full description, or the download link to proceed.

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other free eBooks on offer you can check out here.

Enter giveaways: Polycade Home Arcade | $5K in cash | $10K in Crypto Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Neowin Store for our preferred partners. Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: A valid email address is required to fulfill your request. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this offer. By submitting a request, your information is subject to TradePub.com's Privacy Policy.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Microsoft Threat and Vulnerability Management now supports Linux
      by Usama Jawad

Microsoft's Threat and Vulnerability Management (TVM) suite allows organizations to improve security configurations of their devices. It offers insights to discover threats, automatically prioritizes issues, and allows companies to remediate vulnerabilities seamlessly. Previously, these capabilities were only available on Windows and macOS, but Microsoft has now extended support to Linux as well.

Currently supported Linux operating systems include RHEL, CentOS, and Ubuntu. Support will be rolling out for Oracle Linux, SUSE, and Debian soon as well.

TVM capabilities can be directly managed from Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. Furthermore, its APIs can be called to get access to the underlying dataset which includes vulnerability assessments and software inventory, among other things. This also means that security partners can utilize these APIs to get access to this data and build their own custom solutions.

Microsoft went on to say that:

Apart from general availability of TVM for Linux, the secure configuration assessment component is now also in public preview for macOS and Linux. It was only available on Windows and Windows Server devices previously. You can find out more about it here.

In terms of next steps, Microsoft says that it plans to improve the interoperability of its TVM solution by partnering with other integration and solution providers. Additionally, support for TVM on Android and iOS is also expected "later this summer", although we don't have a firm release date as of yet.