De-Ice window washer fluid?

4-5 days back : Windchills -20 - -22 It's still cold. The windshield washer tank fluid is frozen for The Civic 2008...When press the button and the wipers move but no fluid,  it was up earlier in the month. I actually added the orange color 'Rain-X -25 Degree 2-in-1 Windshield Wash'.

The pump is workings as 'I can hear a whine as it tries to pump'. The washer reservoir is full of ice and I cannot add anything as itis frozen till the tip of the nozzle.

Even drove the car for over an  hour but no luck

Any tips or idea's that I could use?

Gotta wait until it warms up enough then run it dry to remove old stuff. The rainx fluid is good but the old stuff has to be out. Sorry but that is what you have to do. If you have a garage store it there over night.

On 1/1/2018 at 3:56 AM, Roy_Neowin said:

Option 1.

You could try to fill the windshield washer tank with some hot water. Be patient. Activate the wipers. Wait a minute. Try again. If you are lucky, the problem should go away after several minutes and a few attempts.

Option 2.

If there is a shopping mall with an underground parking lot in your area, leave your car there. Go watch a movie. If you are lucky, the problem should go away when you come back.

Option 3.

Visit a car service.

Cheers!

On 1/2/2018 at 3:06 PM, Pam14160 said:

If you have a small space heater place it under the hood close to the window washer tank. . .:). . .good luck. . .:)

Either that or use a hair dryer.

• 1 month later...
On 2017-12-31 at 8:56 PM, Roy_Neowin said:

4-5 days back : Windchills -20 - -22 It's still cold. The windshield washer tank fluid is frozen for The Civic 2008...When press the button and the wipers move but no fluid,  it was up earlier in the month. I actually added the orange color 'Rain-X -25 Degree 2-in-1 Windshield Wash'.

The pump is workings as 'I can hear a whine as it tries to pump'. The washer reservoir is full of ice and I cannot add anything as itis frozen till the tip of the nozzle.

Even drove the car for over an  hour but no luck

I've had this issue with my 2013 Honda Civic. Sometimes it is caused by the cap not going on too tight, other times it is caused by moisture sneaking inside the tank and mixing in with that fluid. If your motor is working fine, the only concern would be the lines, the tank, tank cap and possible where it shoots from (if its covered with thin ice).

My washer reservoir pulls out of its bracket easily, if yours does then you could pull it out and take it in to rinse with hot water and dry it out with a hair dryer. Then going forward, keep the cap on tight and prevent any moisture from getting in if possible. Last step: pray it didn't damage any lines or hoses.

On 2017-12-31 at 9:35 PM, sc302 said:

Gotta wait until it warms up enough then run it dry to remove old stuff. The rainx fluid is good but the old stuff has to be out. Sorry but that is what you have to do. If you have a garage store it there over night.

This. Unless you're able to pull it out and rinse it.

On 2018-01-02 at 6:46 PM, techbeck said:

Yea, got to wait for it to thaw.  And some cars, the washer fluid line is plastic and it freezing can cause cracks in the line.  Hope that does not happen.

It is pretty rare to crack a line, on a 2008 Civic and in that temperature the chances are slim... but good for knowing the possibility, many simply don't.

On 2018-01-04 at 1:31 PM, Open Minded said:

Either that or use a hair dryer.

Hair dryer can work!