What are you listening to?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As a bit of a disclaimer, I'm a big fan of city builders, so I've tried quite a few of them. While I can't say City Life is among my favourites, there were quite a few interesting things about it. Among those is the soundtrack, and in particular the main menu theme. I had forgotten just how funky and jazzy this song was, but I'm happy to have rediscovered it.

42 minutes ago, Sszecret said:

As a bit of a disclaimer, I'm a big fan of city builders, so I've tried quite a few of them. While I can't say City Life is among my favourites, there were quite a few interesting things about it. Among those is the soundtrack, and in particular the main menu theme. I had forgotten just how funky and jazzy this song was, but I'm happy to have rediscovered it.

I love video game soundtracks. They can bring back so many memories!

I've just started a new game of XCOM 2. The Squad Loadout music gets me pumped!

34 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I love video game soundtracks. They can bring back so many memories!

I've just started a new game of XCOM 2. The Squad Loadout music gets me pumped!

Absolutely. Often times it's not necessarily the gameplay that makes me want to play a certain game again, but the soundtrack. Stuff like Building Mode 3 from The Sims or Dire, Dire Docks from Super Mario 64 make me want to jump back in, even if the graphics may not have aged too gracefully.

As for the XCOM2 track, I really enjoy it! I was trying to think why the original game in the series (UFO: Enemy Unknown / X-COM: Enemy Defense) sounded so familiar and I think I found out why. Having collected quite a few issues of a local gaming magazine, I remember UFO: Aftermath being offered for free (on double CD and maybe DVD too). I've been debating whether to jump into XCOM, but it's a tad intimidating to be honest. The only thing I have played and enjoyed that maybe comes close to it in genre is Civ 5, but I think the similarities between the two end at both being turn-based. 

By the way, saw in a different thread, but derped out: congrats on the new gig! :D  

39 minutes ago, Sszecret said:

Absolutely. Often times it's not necessarily the gameplay that makes me want to play a certain game again, but the soundtrack. Stuff like Building Mode 3 from The Sims or Dire, Dire Docks from Super Mario 64 make me want to jump back in, even if the graphics may not have aged too gracefully.

As for the XCOM2 track, I really enjoy it! I was trying to think why the original game in the series (UFO: Enemy Unknown / X-COM: Enemy Defense) sounded so familiar and I think I found out why. Having collected quite a few issues of a local gaming magazine, I remember UFO: Aftermath being offered for free (on double CD and maybe DVD too). I've been debating whether to jump into XCOM, but it's a tad intimidating to be honest. The only thing I have played and enjoyed that maybe comes close to it in genre is Civ 5, but I think the similarities between the two end at both being turn-based. 

By the way, saw in a different thread, but derped out: congrats on the new gig! :D  

Maybe there is an article  to be written about such ideas like game soundtracks? They can invoke such strong emotions, to the point where even if the graphics of a game don't age gracefully the music continues to take us back. Or maybe it's a subject more for the forums, I'm just spitballing.

And thanks for the congrats! I'm really excited about the new prospect. Indeed, while I walk to work tomorrow I may play the Squad Loadout to really psych me up for the upcoming challanges! :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Nick H. changed the title to What are you listening to?
  • 3 weeks later...

I went to a festival back in August and heard these guys. I couldn't help myself, I had to buy both albums and I'm probably listening to them once a week or so: