Intel / AMD & AMD / NVIDIA

Intel / AMD & AMD / NVIDIA  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

LaP
On 8/7/2018 at 10:03 PM, LostCat said:

Freesync basically just requires an upgraded scaler from the usual makers, where G-Sync requires a custom hardware module from NV in there.  

So making a mon with G-Sync costs more to begin with, the market for it is lower and they have to recover R&D and make money off it in general (otherwise why even bother releasing it.)

Personally I have two Freesync mons and a laptop that uses Freesync, alongside the Xbox One X of course.  I don't currently have a desktop GPU or TV that use it, though I definitely plan to get both at some point.

I just upgraded my gtx 1070 to a Radeon 5700XT and imo it was worth it. Freesync is very cool. I would say it's definitely better than vsync. Smoother and no input lag at all. You get used to it fast but i would probably not go back to vsync.

+LostCat
4 minutes ago, LaP said:

I just upgraded my gtx 1070 to a Radeon 5700XT and imo it was worth it. Freesync is very cool. I would say it's definitely better than vsync. Smoother and no input lag at all. You get used to it fast but i would probably not go back to vsync.

Well, they both support Freesync for a while now, but the 5700s are a huge upgrade :)  Nice.  I did the same.

(HDR handling seems a little iffy at times right now on the 5700s, but other than that fantastic cards.)

LaP
1 minute ago, LostCat said:

Well, they both support Freesync for a while now, but the 5700s are a huge upgrade :) Nice.  I did the same.

(HDR handling seems a little iffy at times right now on the 5700s, but other than that fantastic cards.)

Nah my monitor was not supported by nVidia drivers it would display a black screen with gsync compatible enabled.

Yeah lot of people report drivers bugs saying the card is almost unusable but so far i had the card for over a month and played around 15 games without any problem. Definitely a good upgrade at 2k.

Mindovermaster

We should revamp this poll... LOL

• Like 1
sinetheo
4 hours ago, LaP said:

How many bsod and crashes have you received. I was told on youtube that the 2070Super is well worth the price premium due to the driver quality

Mindovermaster
1 minute ago, sinetheo said:

How many bsod and crashes have you received. I was told on youtube that the 2070Super is well worth the price premium due to the driver quality

'cough cough' driver quality?

sinetheo
44 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

'cough cough' driver quality?

Nvidia cards don't have any of the issues AMD ones have. If they do they are miner and when an Nvidia card comes out it is rock solid day 1. AMD will take a few years. At least this was the case back when ATI Cataylst was a thing for all their drivers.

adrynalyne
1 minute ago, sinetheo said:

Nvidia cards don't have any of the issues AMD ones have. If they do they are miner and when an Nvidia card comes out it is rock solid day 1. AMD will take a few years. At least this was the case back when ATI Cataylst was a thing for all their drivers.

What does mining have to do with it? Also, your viewpoint is dated AF.

Mindovermaster
1 hour ago, sinetheo said:

ATI was YEARS ago. You are claiming that to today? Lot has changed, bud...

LaP
4 hours ago, sinetheo said:

So far none.

I can't speak for everyone and my experience with AMD is very small it's only my 3rd AMD gpu i own since the early 90ies (i was on nVidia most of the time) but i would say AMD drivers problems are exaggerated for the most part. It's hard to know what is true and not i mean there's so many fanboys on the Internet. So far after 1 month and a week the only game i have trouble with is Fortnite. This said i had problem with Fortnite in the past with my 1070 too so not sure it's the gpu. The game always gave me trouble with my Asus MB and Aura (in the fact it's more than anti cheat system giving me trouble). All the other games i played are working perfectly. So far i played WoW, Destiny 2, Overwatch, Diablo 3, Darksiders, Warframe, Hollow Knight, Path of Exile, Borderlands 3 and some other free games i got on Epic Store i'm probably forgetting.

The 2070 was way too expensive in Canada. It was 150$ more expensive (after taxes) than the 5700XT for like 5-7% better performance on average (according to most reviewers). Can't say i'm impressed by RTX either so far it look like the early shaders years where devs were overusing it to make everything shiny. Ray tracing is the future but the current implementation kind of sucks imo. I just could not justify to pay 150$ more for basically almost the same performance. Maybe people having problem with the 5700XT bought the bad models. I know the MSI Evoke is known to run super hot (over 100 Celsius for the memory) because of badly placed thermal pads.

Anyway so far so good. Drivers are in very early stage of development too so i expect things to improve. It's a new architecture and there's always bump in the roads coming with it. My last AMD cards was a 5850 something like 12 years ago or so and it was running fine back then i don't expect things to have changed much over AMD. I would say this ignoring the gpu drivers i do prefer Andrenalin 2020 over Geforce Experience actually.

Edited by LaP
  • 2 weeks later...
sinetheo
On 1/4/2020 at 7:11 PM, Mindovermaster said:

ATI was YEARS ago. You are claiming that to today? Lot has changed, bud...

Not according to gamers nexus. Read all the hate comments below 

So many people had to return their 5700xts after they would crash constantly

Director Fury

AMD for my CPU/NVidida for my GPU

+LostCat
On 1/4/2020 at 9:14 PM, LaP said:

Anyway so far so good. Drivers are in very early stage of development too so i expect things to improve. It's a new architecture and there's always bump in the roads coming with it. My last AMD cards was a 5850 something like 12 years ago or so and it was running fine back then i don't expect things to have changed much over AMD. I would say this ignoring the gpu drivers i do prefer Andrenalin 2020 over Geforce Experience actually.

I hate to say it but I've had far more issues since 19.12.2 than anyone should ever have to deal with o.o

Until now I considered AMD drivers pretty solid over the years, this has been a strangely broken experience.  At least it's getting fixed up nicely, but damn.

LaP
42 minutes ago, LostCat said:

I hate to say it but I've had far more issues since 19.12.2 than anyone should ever have to deal with o.o

Until now I considered AMD drivers pretty solid over the years, this has been a strangely broken experience.  At least it's getting fixed up nicely, but damn.

I have 19.12.3 installed and so far it's fine. Like i said Fortnite gives me a black screen after a while but that's the only problem i have. Not sure if it's the drivers or something else no really playing the game anymore so don't really care anyway. I heard the drivers can cause problems (related to the boost) if the fps is not capped and vsync not activated with very high fps. I don't think i capped my fps or activated vsync in Fortnite so that could be the problem but like i said don't really care about the game so meh. Anyway the 2070 Super is simply too expensive in Canada and the 2060 Super performance is a little bit underwhelming for the price. I trust AMD will solve the main issues over the next months specially since the upcoming 5800XT and 5950XT will use the same drivers and arch so i'll keep mine for sure.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rich Woods
      Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Fold unboxing: The first foldable PC is here
      by Rich Woods

It was May 2019 when Lenovo first announced that it was working on a new Windows-powered ThinkPad X1 device with a foldable screen. Some more details were unveiled at CES this year, when it was officially dubbed the ThinkPad X1 Fold. That's also when Lenovo said that it would come with Windows 10 Pro, with a Windows 10X version coming later. Of course, the fate of the Windows 10X version is unknown now.

But now, the ThinkPad X1 Fold is here, and so far, I have to say that Windows 10 Pro is pretty good. Lenovo built some custom software to get it up and running with window switching and such. Also, one thing that didn't work in earlier demos was having the UI automatically react to the keyboard being attached. That's something that's been resolved. It's a much smoother experience than when I went hands-on at CES.

It uses Intel's new Lakefield processors, specifically the Core i5-L16G7. That means that it uses Intel's take on big.LITTLE, something that's been used in ARM processors. Of course, Intel calls it big-bigger, because it's Intel and it won't ever admit that it has any small cores. Nevertheless, the idea is that a single powerful core can work on powerful tasks, while the four smaller cores can do tasks that require less power, all while using less battery life.

The foldable OLED display is 13.3 inches with 2048x1536 resolution, making it 4:3. When folded, that offers two 9.6-inch 3:2 displays, but it has a kickstand for full-screen use. It also comes with a Bluetooth keyboard, so it can either be used when magnetically attached on the inside, or externally when using it in full-screen mode.

Check out the unboxing video below:

• By Abhay V
      PC Build Guide: Budget gaming for around $1,000
      by Abhay Venkatesh

With the holiday season now here, various e-commerce and retail shops are offering a bunch of discounts on electronics. While this makes it the best time to purchase gifts for loved ones, it also makes it the best time to configure and build a custom PC for yourself if you are looking to upgrade your aging machine or want to enhance your gaming experience with better specs.

And for those users that are willing to build a custom gaming rig but on a budget, we’ve put together a guide to help you through what components might be the best and where to find it at a discount. It must be noted, however, that discounts change constantly, and components could run out of stock at any time. Additionally, the guide lists the component just for a budget PC and does not include peripherals such gaming keyboard and mouse, and a gaming monitor.

The aim is to build a PC for around $1000 powered by an AMD processor, considering the advantages of better price to performance at a budget and the upgradability. Here are our recommendations:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS PRO AC
      Image credit: Amazon For the motherboard, we suggest going for the B550 AORUS PRO option. While there are a few B450 motherboards that could be had for less, this board provides the flexibility to easily upgrade to a new chip in the future – like the Zen3-based Ryzen 5000 series chips – without the fear of being locked out of PCIe 4.0 on older boards.

Other benefits include support for dual-band Wifi, 2.5G LAN, USB 3.2 Gen2 ports – including one Type-C port, and support for RGB Fusion 2.0. The board also comes with dual M.2 slots.

You can find the AORUS B550 Pro motherboard on Amazon here for $169.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT
      Image credit: AMD While the Ryzen 5 3600XT is not from the latest batch of Zen3 line up of chips, it was unveiled only earlier this year and offers slightly higher boost clock speeds than the Ryzen 5 3600. Considering that the successor to this chip could be at least a few months away, and the Ryzen 5000 series more expensive and harder to find, the 3600XT offers a great middle-ground for a budget gaming experience.

As for specifications, the chip comes with six cores and 12 threads at a 95W TDP – higher than the 65W TDP of the Ryzen 5 3600. Of course, the processor can be overclocked depending on users’ needs. It also offers a 35MB “GameCache” with support for up to 3200Mhz memory.

You can find the AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT on Amazon here for $264.

Alternatively, a more affordable offering would be the Ryzen 3 3100, a four-core, eight-thread CPU that brings with it lower clocks, while not sacrificing the flexibility of overclocking. The chip supports PCIe Gen 4 on B550 motherboards.

The Ryzen 3 3100 can be found on Amazon here for about $185. However, at the time of writing, Best Buy has it listed for as low as $99, which is a stellar deal.

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)
      Image credit: Corsair The two Corsair 8GB modules bring the benefits of dual-channel memory and a high 3200Mhz speed that can be leveraged by AMD processors. The CL16 kit, however, does not come with RGB goodness, so if you’re looking to add some bling, you might want to opt for the slightly more expensive RGB Pro version, found here on Amazon.

You can find the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB RAM on Amazon here for $63.99.

Storage: Samsung 970 EVO NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD
      Image credit: Samsung The Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD promises excellent read and write speeds of 3,500MB/s and 2,500MB/s, respectively, and is currently discounted by $40 to $59, pricing it close to the Crucial P2 M.2 SSD that serves as a budget option with lower speeds. 500 gigs should be a good place to start on a budget. Since the AORUS B550 motherboard features two M.2 slots, upgrading later should not be a problem.

For those that store a lot of data or play many games, a secondary storage option like the Samsung 860 EVO 2.5-inch internal SSD – which tends to retail lower than an M.2 NVMe SSD – will be handy.

You can find the 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD on Amazon here for $59.99.

Alternatively, if the promos on the Samsung SSD run out, you can find the 500GB Crucial P2 M.2 NVMe SSD on Amazon here for $50.99.

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 KO ULTRA (6GB DDR6)
      Image credit: Best Buy The GPU is one area where shelling out a bit more makes a difference when it comes to gaming. While there are a lot of lower-tier options like ASUS’ GTX 1660 Super, or even similarly priced RX 5600 XT offering from Gigabyte, the Turing-based RTX 2060 offering brings ray tracing and DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling), slightly enhancing the overall gaming experience.

You can find the EVGA - KO ULTRA RTX 2060 GPU on Best Buy here for $329.99.

Alternatively, if you wish to save close to $100 and go for a lower-tier GPU, you can opt for the GTX 1660 Super OC from ASUS on Best Buy here for $229.99.

Power supply: Corsair CX650 (650W)
      Image credit: Amazon As the name suggests, the Corsair CX650 is a 650W PSU that is 80+ bronze certified, which should be more than sufficient to power the custom build, even if configured with the RTX 2060. The component is the non-modular type but comes with black cable sleeves for better aesthetics.

You can find the Corsair CX650 80+ Bronze on Amazon here for $79.99.

PC cabinet: Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 ARGB ATX Mid-Tower
      Image credit: Cooler Master A gaming PC cannot go without RGB lighting and some bling. Cooler Master’s offering brings an open mesh design in the front that supports most fan sizes. The cabinet also comes with three ARGB 120mm fans, a controller, and allows for up to three 120mm fans or two 140mm fans on the top. A tempered glass side panel allows a complete view of the internals for when you would want to add more RGB components inside the PC.

You can find the Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 ARGB ATX Mid-Tower on Amazon here for $76.49.

Alternatively, those who want to go for a more traditional, subdued PC cabinet without an open design can opt for the Corsair Carbide Series 175R Mid-Tower case here on Amazon for a price of $74.99.

And that should do it for the components needed to build a gaming PC for around a thousand bucks.

Total cost: $1,043.45

Of course, if your budget allows you to splurge on any of the components, you could opt for higher specs in the processor, RAM, or GPU space. However, considering that many of the offerings are seeing discounts this week thanks to the Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals, it is best to act fast if you have an upgrade on the cards.

Honorable mention
      Image credit: Amazon Lastly, though this is not part of the recommendation list for the sub-$1000 build, there is one good deal on gaming monitors for those of you interested. The 24-inch FullHD AOC 24G2 IPS gaming monitor is currently being offered for $237.49 on Amazon. The monitor is a great choice for 1080p gaming thanks to its 144Hz refresh rate, AMD FreeSync (G-SYNC works but non validated) support, and 1ms response time.

As an Amazon Associate, Neowin may earn commission from qualifying purchases.

• By Abhay V
      Surface Pro 8 and Laptop 4 images leak, expected to be launched in January 2021
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Surface Pro 7 Images of possible successors to the Microsoft Surface Pro 7 and Laptop 3 have been spotted passing through certification in Korea. The pictures, posted by Twitter user cozyplanes, suggest that the devices – likely to be called the Pro 8 and the Laptop 4 – will retain the design of its predecessors. The tweet also hints at the possible addition of an LTE version of the Pro 8.

Windows Central’s Zac Bowden adds that according to his sources, the company plans to release these devices with minor specification changes, packing Intel’s 11th-gen Tiger Lake processors. The Surface Laptop 4 is expected to also offer AMD variants, just like its predecessor, but it is not clear what chips the Redmond firm will be using. Bowden also corroborates the information about an LTE version of the Pro 8 on offer, adding that the launch will be one without much fanfare, owing to how minor the updates are.

In addition to launching the two models, Microsoft is also expected to launch the dual-screened Surface Duo in more markets. The company might also unveil a black colored variant of the Surface Go 2 tablet. There are reportedly no other major announcements expected to happen in early 2021.

Today’s news might come as a disappointment to those that have been expecting a major design refresh to the Surface Pro line, which has not seen a meaningful design upgrade since the Pro 4 in 2015. The design on these devices now looks dated, especially with the Surface Pro X featuring thin bezels and a modern design. It will be interesting to see what the firm has in store for the Pro line.

Source: cozyplanes (Twitter), WindowsCentral

• By Steven P.
      Early Black Friday deal: $20.99 off the NVIDIA SHIELD
      by Steven Parker

Nvidia has let us know that they are discounting the SHIELD on Amazon by $20.99, this means you can now snap it up for $129. The tubular SHIELD streaming device launched just over a year ago at $149.99 and has generally held its launch price ever since.

As a reminder the NVIDIA SHIELD has a Tegra X1+ processor, which is 25% faster than the models powered by the Tegra X1, and supports Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. It's also capable of upscaling 720p or 1080p content to 4K.

It comes with 2GB of RAM and 8GB of internal storage, and a microSD card slot. The SHIELD supports dual-band Wi-Fi and Bluetooth; in terms of software, it comes with Android Pie out of the box, and Chromecast 4K built-in.

There's also a remote included. The triangular-shaped controller has backlit buttons that turn on when motion is detected, a built-in mic for Google Assistant queries, and a remote locator in case you misplace it. It connects to the Shield TV via Bluetooth, but it also has an IR blaster for use with your TV.

Unfortunately there is no word on a discount for the SHIELD TV Pro, which still costs $199.99 so if you are hoping to bag that model on a discount, you may have to wait until Black Friday passes, as this deal will stay live until Monday, November 30th 11:59 PM PT.

Get the NVIDIA SHIELD for $129 (MSRP $149.99) 14% off.

Check out our entire Black Friday and Cyber Monday coverage here.

As an Amazon Associate, Neowin may earn commission from qualifying purchases.

• By indospot
      Nvidia's GeForce Now is now available on iOS, Fortnite coming soon
      by João Carrasqueira

Nvidia has announced that its game streaming service, GeForce Now, is now available in beta for users on iOS through the Safari web browser, albeit in beta form. iOS has typically been a challenge for cloud gaming services, with Google Stadia and Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass Ultimate cloud streaming only being available on Android. However, Amazon kickstarted the idea of launching on iOS through a web browser with its Luna service, and now Nvidia is joining the fray.

If you have an iPhone or iPad with iOS or iPadOS 14.2 or later, you can access the newly-launched beta version of GeForce Now through this link. Nvidia also recommend a using a gamepad for playing, as mouse and keyboard aren't fully supported due to limitations in Safari. You can find a list of officially supported gamepads here, but it does include Xbox Wireless Controller models with Bluetooth.

The launch of GeForce Now on iOS means that Fortnite will officially available on Apple devices, but it isn't yet. While Fortnite is a cross-platform game and available on GeForce Now, the PC and mobile versions are actually quite different, and Nvidia is working with Epic Games to release a version of Fortnite that feels familiar to users on iOS. As such, touch controls have to be added, and thus the game will take a while longer to be available.

In addition to the iOS launch, Nvidia also announced that it's adding support for the Chrome browser on Linux, PC, and Android early next year. Chrome has already been supported on ChromeOS since a beta launched earlier this summer.

Nvidia also announced that it's working with GOG.com to add its library of gamers to the GeForce Now catalog, starting with games like The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and Cyberpunk 2077. Finally, GeForce Now is expanding to Saudi Arabia thanks to a partnership with Zain KSA. These expansions are also coming soon.