• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

How to disable Kernel Page Table Isolation (KPTI) after installing KB4056892?

Mockingbird    2,711

I have an AMD processor and my computer is not susceptible to the Meltdown attack.

How do I turn off Kernel Page Table Isolation (KPTI) after installing KB4056892?

eilegz    105

uninstall it

DeusProto    982

Microsoft calls it 'Speculative Control'

I saw this in the Windows Server 2016 guidance. I have no idea if it works for non-Server:

"

To disable the mitigations

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverrideMask /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

"

I tried debugging ntoskrnl.exe and ntdll.dll to find string references to 'FeatureSettingsOverrideMask' and none were found, so it's probably only in the Server 2016 kernel.

• Like 2

Mockingbird    2,711
6 minutes ago, DeusProto said:

Microsoft calls it 'Speculative Control'

I saw this in the Windows Server 2016 guidance. I have no idea if it works for non-Server:

"

To disable the mitigations

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverrideMask /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /

"

I tried debugging ntoskrnl.exe and ntdll.dll to find string references to 'FeatureSettingsOverrideMask' and none were found, so it's probably only in the Server 2016 kernel.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4072698/windows-server-guidance-to-protect-against-the-speculative-execution-s

Interesting.

It looks like you might be able to check if the feature is enabled with the following command in PowerShell (possibly Windows Server 2016/2012 R2 only):

SpeculationControlSettings

• Like 1

Mockingbird    2,711

SC.png

xasx    1

I am on Insider Preview build 17063.

I can find the strings in ntoskrnl.exe via Sysinternals' strings:

8480872:FeatureSettingsOverride
8480920:FeatureSettingsOverrideMask

After adding the respective registry values (setting to 3), the Powershell cmdlet changes its output to:

Speculation control settings for CVE-2017-5754 [rogue data cache load]

Hardware requires kernel VA shadowing: True
Windows OS support for kernel VA shadow is present: True
Windows OS support for kernel VA shadow is enabled: False

However, build 17063 does not seem to have mitigation for CVE-2017-5715 [branch target injection] - at least not on my system, whether before or after the registry modifications. 

And: Why did I do this? I was feeling a significant decrease of performance after installing the Insider build and wanted to test - after I now know why - whether it is resolved by disabling the mitigation. So far, it feels better.

• Like 1