NAS OS

11 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Are you saying WD Reds are just a hype? AFAIK, Reds are more suited for RAID.

Not necessarily, however for a home server it wouldn't be a make it or break it purchase for me. There are other, cheaper alternatives, that do just fine. The hype is real, if your setup benefits from it, but just saying Reds are more suited for RAID seems like you don't have a full understanding of why. Do you know why Reds are recommended for NAS/RAID setups? If you don't know or understand why, there really isn't much of a reason to make that you go to drive. Plenty of other companies make drives that do the same, albeit less expensive.

3 minutes ago, Jim K said:

You can expand your zpool by adding more disc in FreeNAS without blowing it up (if that is what you were inquiring about)

Glad that has changed, many years ago that wasn't the case and was a real deal breaker for me.

320 and 640 are junk... these days really... Kind of pointless to keep them and they prob really really OLD...

Why do you think you need 3 6TB drives.. Do you have that much stuff to store?  Where is it currently?  You have that many CDs and Movies to rip?

Buying that much storage seems pointless.. Prices of disks is only going to drop for more and faster..  This is home storage there is zero need for raid 5..

How much do you need/want to store currently and could fill up in say the next year?  What I would suggest is prob go with openmediavault and use unionFS or mergerFS and then use of snapraid if you want parity, etc..  I have not looked into freenas in a while if also supports such options like omv does... OMV has the plus that is based on deb which you like ;)

If you were going to run this on windows then hands down I would say get stablebit drive pool.. This is what I run for my storage.. Its the one piece of the software that keeps me from moving storage system to linux/bsd ;)  Can use different size disks and types in the pool, and remove and add drives on the fly.  Can setup multiple copies of files or directories to number of disks you have in the pool for stuff you might not want to have to restore from your backup or more important too you in case one of your drive fails..  Its like running mirrored drives but at the file old folder level..  Shoot you can even add cloud storage into your pool.. I have not been able too find a linux/bsd setup that compares..

If you could run windows on this NAS your going to put together - I would really suggest them.. Take a look at unionFS or mergerFS, etc.  these are jbod options that allow you to use different sized disks, etc.  Tie that with say snapraid and you got a fairly good storage solution for stuff like your wanting to store - and ability to grow it as you need more space, etc.  Creating a raid 5 or raidz1 with some disks on ZFS kind of pointless unless you just had your 3 disks already sitting there to use and didn't care that your going to loose a 1/3 of it to parity, etc.

4 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Not necessarily, however for a home server it wouldn't be a make it or break it purchase for me. There are other, cheaper alternatives, that do just fine. The hype is real, if your setup benefits from it, but just saying Reds are more suited for RAID seems like you don't have a full understand of why. Do you know why Reds are recommended for NAS/RAID setups? If you don't know or understand why, there really isn't much of a reason to make that you go to drive. Plenty of other companies make drives that do the same, albeit less expensive.

Glad that has changed, many years ago that wasn't the case and was a real deal breaker for me.

I only know Reds are made for RAID/NAS. Not really why per se.

Like Seagate?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Circaflex said:

Not necessarily, however for a home server it wouldn't be a make it or break it purchase for me. There are other, cheaper alternatives, that do just fine. The hype is real, if your setup benefits from it, but just saying Reds are more suited for RAID seems like you don't have a full understand of why. Do you know why Reds are recommended for NAS/RAID setups? If you don't know or understand why, there really isn't much of a reason to make that you go to drive. Plenty of other companies make drives that do the same, albeit less expensive.

Now the real question for me...and what I'll be working on in a few days.. is if I can swap a smaller capacity drive for a larger capacity drive in a zpool. Don't think I can but going to try anyway.

Problem I'm about to run into is running out of space in my second zpool (I have one 12tb pool and another 6tb pool). The 6tb pool consists of 2 1.5tb greens and a mismatch of 500/640gb drives (forgot the exact makeup). Anyway...want to pull two of the smaller drives and replace them with 2x 3tb drives. 

Anyway...we'll see.  Not a big deal if a blow up that pool...would rather not but I wouldn't lose anything.

My current "Storage" drive has 900GB. A lot of that is probably my 30GB CD collection, and my Linux distro ISO's. Also lots of torrents...

My "DVD Storage" drive has 300GB of movies and TV shows.

Currently I am looking at getting 2x 3TB WD Blues. As Newegg has a sale right now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I only know Reds are made for RAID/NAS. Not really why per se.

Like Seagate?

I have two greens in my smaller pool (and I think a blue and a black) and they haven't failed yet. I've had one green fail in the past...but it was in my desktop (not a NAS). My larger pool contains Reds..mostly because of the extra one year warranty (3 vs 2). May purchase the red pros next go round (5 year warranty)

Yes, I like longer warranties. :)

Those blues are essentially green drives, just an FYI. 

If you want to understand why REDs are recommended as NAS/RAID drives, research TLER. The other reason, is as Jim pointed out, warranty. However, Red drives also had the parking issue and WD even relabeled the WDIDLE3 tool for the Red drives specifically to save face...

You can check your current green drives under linux using this, http://idle3-tools.sourceforge.net/, as WD Tools need Windows to run.

Edited by Circaflex

Every major hard drive manufacturer has 'NAS friendly' drives in their range.

I use HGST Deskstar NAS drives: https://www.hgst.com/products/hard-drives/nas-desktop-drive-kit

There are also WD Red, Seagate IronWolf (https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/internal-hard-drives/hdd/ironwolf/#specs), and Toshiba N300 (https://www.toshiba-storage.com/products/toshiba-internal-hard-drives-n300/)

They essentially are based on the same principles (TLER, vibration reduction and longer warranties).

my mate used OMV and likes it

I have debian installed and just set it up myself

In mine i have 2 * 3tb, 2 * 2tb, 1* 1tb and a 128gb ssd for the os

Mine is not raid at all

29 minutes ago, Fahim S. said:

Every major hard drive manufacturer has 'NAS friendly' drives in their range.

I use HGST Deskstar NAS drives: https://www.hgst.com/products/hard-drives/nas-desktop-drive-kit

There are also WD Red, Seagate IronWolf (https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/internal-hard-drives/hdd/ironwolf/#specs), and Toshiba N300 (https://www.toshiba-storage.com/products/toshiba-internal-hard-drives-n300/)

They essentially are based on the same principles (TLER, vibration reduction and longer warranties).

Are HGST drives any good? I think they are a fork of WD. Right?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Haggis said:

my mate used OMV and likes it

I have debian installed and just set it up myself

In mine i have 2 * 3tb, 2 * 2tb, 1* 1tb and a 128gb ssd for the os

Mine is not raid at all

Haggis is back! :p

I just thought of just using Ubuntu or Debian and then just load up SAMBA, and be done with it...

4 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Are HGST drives any good? I think they are a fork of WD. Right?

Yes...they are a subsidiary of WD. 

16 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Yes...they are a subsidiary of WD. 

You know the difference between Deskstar and Ultrastar?

Ultrastar seems more like enterprise grade, no?

I noticed that this is like 1/4 less than WD Blue..

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5AD2AE0872

• Like 1

Ulstrastar are high performance and server disks. 

Deskstar are their ‘normal’ range. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/5/2018 at 10:37 PM, Mindovermaster said:

Haggis is back! :p

I just thought of just using Ubuntu or Debian and then just load up SAMBA, and be done with it...

This is what i do, also put minidlna and try to not overthink it. If you have some separation of the data you could even leave the hdds separate (without lvm/raid etc) as well.

From windows I have freefilesync which does the backups, ssh for connecting from the outside world and that is it.

• 1 month later...
  • Jim K locked this topic