Purchase Windows 10 license for someone else?

I built my Dad a new PC a few weeks back and he loves it. I was over the other day and noticed on his desktop that Windows 10 was unlicensed. I tried to activate it using the option for new hardware (like I did on my new build) and it didn't work. Can I just buy him a license and then send him a key? Or do Windows licenses have to be bought in the Store on the actual machine these days?

Side note - I installed Windows 10 Pro for him but if I get him a Windows 10 Home license, will it just change editions without having to reinstall?

Yes... You can change the product key (Settings > Update & Security> Activation > Change product key)

But, I do not think you can do this going from Pro to Home...only can use keys which match the current install.  I could be wrong (I've never "downgraded" Windows)

This might work though... /shrug

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/downgrade-from-windows-10-pro-to-home/

Also, you sure the current key is bad? Try to contact Microsoft about it? You didn't get the key from a  sketchy site like Scdkey?

57 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Yes... You can change the product key (Settings > Update & Security> Activation > Change product key)

But, I do not think you can do this going from Pro to Home...only can use keys which match the current install.  I could be wrong (I've never "downgraded" Windows)

This might work though... /shrug

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/downgrade-from-windows-10-pro-to-home/

Also, you sure the current key is bad? Try to contact Microsoft about it? You didn't get the key from a  sketchy site like Scdkey?

Nope, he had a legit copy of Windows 8.1 and did the free upgrade to Windows 10. He told me he used the same Microsoft ID but it's definitely not working. I'll probably just have to go over there and help him get a new key.

14 minutes ago, patseguin said:

Nope, he had a legit copy of Windows 8.1 and did the free upgrade to Windows 10. He told me he used the same Microsoft ID but it's definitely not working. I'll probably just have to go over there and help him get a new key.

Call Microsoft and get it activated. If it was a legit copy, he upgraded to a legit copy (same sku)..it should all still be legit. Too legit to quit. Don't blow 90 bucks (or whatever it costs).

27 minutes ago, patseguin said:

A bit more clarification. You said he had 8.1 and did the free upgrade to windows 10. Does this mean he had windows 8.1 on his old computer and did the free upgrade there? If that's the case the Windows 10 license won't' carry over. It's also not tied to a Microsoft Live ID but a hardware ID.

Or did he install windows 8.1 On the new machine and upgraded for free to Windows 10?

If isn't a OEM copy, he should be able to use the 8.1 key on 10 and have it activate (even on a new build)...as long as the key has been upgraded in the past. No?

2 minutes ago, Jim K said:

If isn't a OEM copy, he should be able to use the 8.1 key on 10 and have it activate (even on a new build). No?

Unless he already cashed in on the upgrade on a previous machine.

Have you tried phone activation? It'll ask if the copy is running on one machine, just say yes (cos it is anyway).

31 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Unless he already cashed in on the upgrade on a previous machine.

This was talked about previously ...

Also with 1607 you can link your Microsoft account to the digital license. More here...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

He upgraded from 8.1 to 10 Pro on the old machine. I built him the new machine and installed Windows 10 and he activated with the same MS ID (he says). Won't activate. I'll tell him to try phone if there is an option for that.

25 minutes ago, patseguin said:

He upgraded from 8.1 to 10 Pro on the old machine. I built him the new machine and installed Windows 10 and he activated with the same MS ID (he says). Won't activate. I'll tell him to try phone if there is an option for that.

correct, that will not activate normally as he has found.

when it fails phone activation phone the toll number it pops up and say the old hardware died and you are setting it up on nearest replacement you could find. they will issue a new activation code and they will reset the limit count on the installation ID at their end.