Share Software between to PCs

Hello all

I have two laptop connected with Lan cable and each with windows 7 and i have a student registration  software is made by visual basic and microsoft access , this software is used to add and register the infomation of new students

The question is how to share this software between two laptops in which when it runs from any laptop and enroll a new students this update should be accessible from any of two laptops. 

Hint the software is installed on each PCs and used at the same time

Thanks a lot

Edited by JackRonw

Just install two copies of the software on each one?

If it's custom built software, you will defiantly need to talk to your schools IT dept. 

Do you have a virtual environment? Turn them in to terminals and remotely access the same desktop (provided they won't be used at the same time).  

1 minute ago, Eternal Tempest said:

Just install two copies of the software on each one?

If it's custom built software, you will defiantly need to talk to your schools IT dept. 

Do you have a virtual environment? Turn them in to terminals and remotely access the same desktop (provided they won't be used at the same time).  

Thanks

Yes it is installed on each PCs and they used at the same time

Surely the database that the software runs off of needs to be on some kind of shared environment?

Also (with my mod hat on), @JackRonw, as per the community guidelines, Neowin is not a give me the solution to a school project/assignment website. Please provide some more context, including what you've done so far (sharing any code) and what you need to achieve. Our members are very helpful, but I don't think anyone wants to complete your work for you :)

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Surely the database that the software runs off of needs to be on some kind of shared environment?

Also (with my mod hat on), @JackRonw, as per the community guidelines, Neowin is not a give me the solution to a school project/assignment website. Please provide some more context, including what you've done so far (sharing any code) and what you need to achieve. Our members are very helpful, but I don't think anyone wants to complete your work for you :)

Thanks a lot

Actually this is not a test or home work i just want to learn how to share a software written in VB and MS access between two computers and i take the registration software just as an example.

• Like 1

That's fine :)

It's as Eternal Tempest said earlier, the two laptops/machines would need to have their own copies of the software. A common database/source would then ensure that the two were kept in sync. 

7 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

A common database/source would then ensure that the two were kept in sync.

Thanks

But are there any steps explained how to achieve this part ?

So the database is MS Access?  Uggghhhhh... Such a database is not really meant to scale or have multiple uses all at the same time.. The backend of the database in such a setup where you have multiple users all input and output data from the database would be normally sql..

So the database would run on a server, while clients with the client software installed would run the client software that talks to the database server..

You could move the ms access and run it off a share where the clients access the db file... But MS access across a network share is horrible - especially if the DB gets larger and larger, etc.

What @BudMan  said... :)

Just as another question, do you know how the Visual Basic application is actually connecting to the MS Access DB?  Typically this achieved using an ODBC connection.

If you use something like SQL Server Express running on one of the machines instead of the Access DB (there used to be an 'upsize' wizard in Access that would allow you to migrate the DB), you *should* just be able to repoint the ODBC connection at it and everything *should* just work.  In reality these things often need some tweaking to get them working properly.

On the second machine, you run the VB Application, you create the ODBC connection and point it at the SQL Server Express on the first machine.  The second machine won't have the database on it at all.