• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

HOA threatens to fine homeowners $200 for closing their garage doors

+jnelsoninjax    12,065

(KTXL/CNN) -- A California community is upset after their homeowner’s association told them they needed to keep their garage doors open during the day.

The new rule calls for homeowners in the Auburn Greens subdivision to keep their garages open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Residents said the Auburn Greens Unit 1 Homeowners Association left fliers on their doors, saying they could face a $200 fine for not complying.

“I might as well clear everything out and leave the garage door open permanently because there is no point to having a garage door then,” said resident Shally Ia.

Ia said she believes the HOA enacted the new rule after finding out a family had allowed someone to live in their garage, which is against community guidelines. However, Ia said forcing people to keep their garages open may not be the answer.

“All I am asking is a reasonable way of going around this,” she said. “If you want to do a monthly, bi-monthly inspection of my garage. I have nothing to hide. If I have something stored in there and you don't like it, I’ll remove it."

Jason, a 9-year-old boy whose family also lives in the subdivision, said he’s concerned about potential thefts.

"I don't think it's a good idea because they are going to steal my bike,” he said. “I’ve got an electric scooter, an electric wheelchair. I've got all kinds of stuff. I just don't think it`s very good to have it open."

For every household like Jason’s that began to follow the order, there are several others who refuse.

A call to the HOA was not returned and the office was closed during normal business hours.

The association’s monthly meeting is scheduled to take place in two weeks, and many residents say they plan to be there.

Source

techbeck    6,922

HOA...unless it has to do with the outside of the house, they shoudlnt be concerned what happens inside.  And leaving the garage door open is just plain stupid and insecure.   Personally, I would take them to court over this.  Another  classic example of a group going thermonuclear over an 1 issue that had to deal with a couple people.

HOAs are like little dogs who think they are bigger and more important than what they are.  I run in to several HOAs where people were just on power trips as well.  

• Like 6

+Eternal Tempest    805

So if you left for work at 7am and got home after 4pm... your screwed

• Like 2

macrosslover    637

The main stated objective of an HOA is to maintain certain rules for each home under the HOA, ostensibly to maintain/increase property values.  This action does neither of those and is a security risk to the homes involved, which could lead to higher insurance premiums.  Normally, I'd say take them to court and sue the crap out of them because they don't stand a chance.  However, this is California and I'm sure the HOA could find a court to take their side.

• Like 2

shockz    5,947

HOA's are basically unavoidable if you want to buy a house within a neighborhood built after 2005 around here.

I don't mind ours, per our charter any additions need a 4/5 vote to pass and it can only pertain to exterior situations... i.e lawn, or parking a semi in a driveway, etc. Basically anti-hillbilly. There are some more exclusive neighborhoods that do lawns/snow removal, but those monthly fees are way too much.

It is on the owner however to review their charter and if they don't agree with it or are concerned with how it'll be implemented in the future, common-sense probably should say it's best to avoid that purchase. Not sure I'd want to live somewhere that can change an HOA regulation on the fly. Sounds like the president of that HOA is about to be ousted, as that is a ridiculous oversight and security concern.

FloatingFatMan    18,742

Seeing as this stupid rule is new, why don't they just tell the HOA to bleep off?  The rule didn't exist when they signed their agreements...

Jim K    13,629

Looks like they've come to their senses....

An Auburn area homeowners association rescinded a requirement Tuesday that homeowners keep their garage doors open during the day, following national attention that had many calling it an example of HOA overreach.

//

The HOA’s board members and property managers could not be reached for comment Tuesday. A metal grate over the management office’s front window was locked with a sign saying the office was closed.

On an adjacent bulletin board, a notice was posted Tuesday that read:

“Dear resident, the new garage Door Policy has been put on hold by the Board of Directors effective immediately. You may keep your garage doors down until further notice. The Board of Directors will be working with the Membership (Homeowners) to hopefully come up with a more ‘reasonable’ policy.”

The Sacramento Bee

...and yea ... this was a stupid rule by the HOA.  

techbeck    6,922
7 hours ago, Jim K said:

Looks like they've come to their senses....

The Sacramento Bee

...and yea ... this was a stupid rule by the HOA.  

Good.  I would bet they already had some calls from lawyers and probably why they rescinded the order.

DocM    16,578

HOA's have degenerated from reasonable property protection groups to police state wannabes  as time passed. Time for some comeuppance.

• Like 2