Lobsters must be comfortably numb before cooking, rules Swiss government

Lobsters must be comfortably numb before cooking, rules Swiss government

Switzerland has banned the common culinary practice of throwing fresh lobsters into boiling water as part of an overhaul of its animal protection rules.

"Live crustaceans, including the lobster, may no longer be transported on ice or in ice water. Aquatic species must always be kept in their natural environment. Crustaceans must now be stunned before killing them," say the rules adopted by the government on Wednesday that will take effect in March.

"Comfortably stun them before cooking for further consumption."

#firstworldproblems

32 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Title....Pink Floyd comes to mind.....

Anyway, price of lobster in Switzerland has just gone up.....

4 minutes ago, neufuse said:

finally we are focusing on what matters.... animal rights before becoming food.....

Why not? We may have to eat them, but there's no need to cause them pain.

Even world famous chefs like Gordon Ramsay kill the lobster before tossing it into the water, so there's zero excuse for anyone else not to do so.  One quick jab, knife through the brain and into the water. No muss, no fuss, and no pain for the lobster.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Even world famous chefs like Gordon Ramsay kill the lobster before tossing it into the water, so there's zero excuse for anyone else not to do so.  One quick jab, knife through the brain and into the water. No muss, no fuss, and no pain for the lobster.

Mate, do you realize you've just won the Golden Oxymoron Award? 

As if these animals enjoy being eaten.

1 minute ago, Mirumir said:

Mate, do you realize you've just won the Golden Oxymoron Award? 

As if these animals enjoy being eaten.

At one point in my post did I claim they did?

14 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

and that isn't a painful way to die also?... it sounds quick but it is still painful for the second it happens before death...

Just now, neufuse said:

and that isn't a painful way to die also?... it sounds quick but it is still painful for the second it happens before death...

I wouldn't know, but all known evidence indicates that a knife through the brain for ANY creature means instant death.

And there are no pain receptors in the brain.

I try to protect and cherish all life, but non-mammals get little respect from me when my own nutrition is under question.

Humans are apex predators on this planet: be it a god-given right or a result of evolution.

1 minute ago, Mirumir said:

I try to protect and cherish all life, but non-mammals get little respect from me when my own nutrition is under question.

Humans are apex predators on this planet: be it a god-given right or a result of evolution.

Sure. But we're also reasonable beings. If we have to kill and eat animals to survive that's fine by me, but there's no need to cause undue suffering. is there?

I'm happy to dig into a lobster thermidore; but if I knew it was tossed alive into a pot of boiling water, I wouldn't eat it.  Same as I love a roast lamb dinner, but if I knew it had been killed whilst conscious, as in hamal or kosher slaughtering methods, then no dinner for me.

6 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I'm happy to dig into a lobster thermidore; but if I knew it was tossed alive into a pot of boiling water, I wouldn't eat it.  Same as I love a roast lamb dinner, but if I knew it had been killed whilst conscious, as in hamal or kosher slaughtering methods, then no dinner for me.

Thought it was well known lobster is boiled alive. Fish, or shell fish, do not bother me if alive. Fish are generally fillet alive as well. 

1 minute ago, techbeck said:

Thought it was well known lobster is boiled alive. Fish, or shell fish, do not bother me if alive. Fish are generally fillet alive as well. 

Not at restaurants I use, it's not. Most UK restaurants do NOT, in fact, cook them alive.

1 minute ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Not at restaurants I use, it's not. Most UK restaurants do NOT, in fact, cook them alive.

Ah, OK. I know they used to always boil alive but have not looked into it for years. Maybe my side of the pond, things are different. Never really thought about it to much where fish are concerned. 

Just now, techbeck said:

Ah, OK. I know they used to always boil alive but have not looked into it for years. Maybe my side of the pond, things are different. Never really thought about it to much where fish are concerned. 

It happens, of course, but there are pretty strict regulations in the UK over treatment of food animals, including fish etc.  Always confuses me why exceptions are made for religions.

We can certainly live without eating other animals, there's really no need for excuses imo.They taste good and we don't mind killing them for that, the end.

Just now, muratoner said:

We can certainly live without eating other animals, there's really no need for excuses imo.They taste good and we don't mind killing them for that, the end.

Humans require various enzymes best found in balanced diet, including animals. Every vegetarian I've ever met has had to use dietary supplements to replace the things missing in their veggie diets.

That said, we don't need as much meat as we generally DO eat.. A couple of times a week is generally enough, but we DO need it at least in part. We are omnivores for a REASON.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Humans require various enzymes best found in balanced diet, including animals. Every vegetarian I've ever met has had to use dietary supplements to replace the things missing in their veggie diets.

That said, we don't need as much meat as we generally DO eat.. A couple of times a week is generally enough, but we DO need it at least in part. We are omnivores for a REASON.

Vegans/vegetarians are doing just fine in fact meat eaters get far more heart diseases than them.I eat meat and i know i'll be doing way better without consuming all these animal products. I just don't like hiding behind a reason like we need to eat them to live. We just have to own it. They taste good and i can't stop myself from eating them.

I'm hiding behind nothing. Requiring enzymes ONLY found in animal proteins or in man-made dietary supplements is a basic biological fact of our existence. Deny it all you like, but that doesn't alter biological facts.

I suspect someday fly swatters will be outlawed for being cruel. That said I worked at a supermarket for a while in high school and one day they put me in the deli and told me how to cook one of the lobsters in case a customer wanted one. Fortunately no one did because I don't think I could have done it.