• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Neowin mobile app

Recommended Posts

cbrookhart    10

I'm trying to use the Neowin mobile app for Android (Galaxy S8). When I open the app, I get an invalid license error. When I close that message, Google play has Tapatalk up and ready for download. 

 

I downloaded Tapatalk but got an error message that says I'm not logged in or I don't have permission to perform this action when I try to log in. 

 

Currently I can only post from my phone via the web. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K    10,334

It is my understanding that Neowin no longer has support for Tapatalk.

 

Please see the following post...

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cbrookhart    10

The issue is that the Neowin Mobile App is displaying an invalid license error. As I mentioned, I close that error and then Google Play brings up Tapatalk. I now have no ability to post anything in the forums since Tapatalk isn't used anymore and since the Neowin Mobile App doesn't work. Furthermore, my phone is currently associating the forum link with the Neowin Mobile App.

 

To be clear, I am talking about two apps: 1) The official Neowin app in the Google Play Store and 2) Tapatalk.

So what's going on with Neowin app displaying an invalid license error?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H    1,890

The "Official Neowin App" was a Tapatalk wrapper app

 

Both IT and Tapatalk support in general have been discontinued on Neowin as stated in the thread Jim linked.

 

Please begin making use of the mobile website, the theme has been vastly improved over the past few updates

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nick H.    8,658

I moved away from the Neowin app after using it for a few weeks. The only thing it could do that the mobile site couldn't do was push notifications, but even those would appear on my phone hours after the notification appeared on the site. Nine times out of ten I saw the notification on the site, then my phone would vibrate to tell me that there was a notification.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dipsylalapo    1,224
1 hour ago, cbrookhart said:

The issue is that the Neowin Mobile App is displaying an invalid license error. As I mentioned, I close that error and then Google Play brings up Tapatalk. I now have no ability to post anything in the forums since Tapatalk isn't used anymore and since the Neowin Mobile App doesn't work. Furthermore, my phone is currently associating the forum link with the Neowin Mobile App.

 

To be clear, I am talking about two apps: 1) The official Neowin app in the Google Play Store and 2) Tapatalk.

So what's going on with Neowin app displaying an invalid license error?

The Neowin app uses the Tapatalk app. Neowin no longer pays the subscription to Tapatalk for the app so it won't work. Think of it like any site that uses a hosting company. The Neowin app was being "hosting" on the Tapatalk platform, Steven (our lord and saviour :P) stop paying for our app to be "hosted" on the Tapatalk platform which is why you see the error message. 

 

Previously, you may have set Neowin links to open into the app by default, if you uninstall the app and try a link again, it should prompt you again, at which point you can select your browser of choice :)

 

Feel free to PM me in needed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cbrookhart    10
54 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

The Neowin app uses the Tapatalk app. Neowin no longer pays the subscription to Tapatalk for the app so it won't work. Think of it like any site that uses a hosting company. The Neowin app was being "hosting" on the Tapatalk platform, Steven (our lord and saviour :P) stop paying for our app to be "hosted" on the Tapatalk platform which is why you see the error message. 

 

Previously, you may have set Neowin links to open into the app by default, if you uninstall the app and try a link again, it should prompt you again, at which point you can select your browser of choice :)

 

Feel free to PM me in needed. 

I wasn't aware that the official Neowin app tied into Tapatalk, but now I know. :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DConnell    5,973
5 hours ago, cbrookhart said:

I wasn't aware that the official Neowin app tied into Tapatalk, but now I know. :)

 

 

 ... and knowing is half the battle! (G.I.Joe!!!)

 

This is the second thread I've read about the Neowin app. I was reminded of its existence, only to learn that it's been discontinued. :(

 

But seriously, give the mobile version of the site a try - it's quite nice these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Mando    5,113

good riddance tbh Tapatalk/neowin applet was woeful. 

 

as others have said, the mobile version of the site has come on leaps and bounds lately.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.