Sign in to follow this  

U.S. Urges Travelers To Reconsider Visiting Russia

+Mirumir    5,389

Just in time for the upcoming World Cup this summer.

U.S. Urges Travelers To Reconsider Visiting Russia

The U.S. State Department listed Russia as one of the most dangerous countries to visit in a new travel advisory system released Wednesday, together with states including Sudan, Pakistan and Niger.

Zakharova's response: 

The fact that the US State Department discourages its citizens from traveling to Russia is quite logical: if US citizens go to Russia in large numbers, they will see with their own eyes that nothing that American officials frighten them with is present here.

• Like 1

Tuskd    1,595

Based on the reasons provided, I would categorize it as a Level 2. The concerns are limited to a small geographical area.

+Mirumir    5,389
1 minute ago, Tuskd said:

Based on the reasons provided, I would categorize it as a Level 2. The concerns are limited to a small geographical area.

Which one?

Tuskd    1,595
34 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Which one?

North Caucasus and Crimea.

Now you may go all out and defend that none of the concerns mentioned actually occur, but I am not the one to judge that. I will accept Russia giving a Level 4 (or similar in Russian lingo) to all regions of the US, if Russia can provide proper justification.

Plus, its the US Government telling US citizens where to go and where not to. I don't think a third country has a say in that. If you take it as "This is what the US government thinks of us", so be it. Russia can do the same to US as well.

+Mirumir    5,389
26 minutes ago, Tuskd said:

North Caucasus and Crimea.

I won't "go all out". I'll just say that both are safe destinations for tourists. The North Caucasus features ski and mineral water resorts; the Crimea - beaches and wine.

Russia is a top 10 tourist destination in the World.

~30 million tourists visit the country each year, making it the ninth-most visited country in the World and the seventh-most visited in Europe.

The U.S. State. Dept.'s decision is clearly a political one.

• Like 2

+ctebah    3,054
2 hours ago, Mirumir said:

Zakharova's response: 

That’s exactly it.  Can’t have American people going to Russia and realizing that the US has lied to them this whole time.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

+J. X. Maxwell    2,161

Americans went to Russia during the Olympics and weren't impressed

+Mirumir    5,389
9 minutes ago, J. X. Maxwell said:

Americans went to Russia during the Olympics and weren't impressed

There was a website that debunked most of those twits about broken toilets and missing beds.

And thanks for bringing the Sochi Olympics up. The parallels with the FIFA World Cup will be hard to miss.

We are about to get the same kind of coverage.

• Like 2

techbeck    5,423

I am sure there are parts of Russia to avoid as there are parts of the US I won't step foot in.    Have not heard any bad things about Russia myself and one of the places I wouldn't mind visiting some day.

And just because the US Gov says something does not mean the majority of the public will buy in to it either.  Heck, there are advisories about not visiting Mexico that have been going on for years.  Though I know a ton of people who visit the country yearly.  But like a lot of other countries, there are areas to avoid.

+FloatingFatMan    13,864

I'm betting there are far more dangerous places for tourists in the USA than there are in Russia...

• Thanks 1

+Mirumir    5,389

Kremlin accuses U.S. of anti-Russia fearmongering after State Department travel warning

Russia’s Foreign Ministry on Friday accused the U.S. State Department of cultivating “blind fear of Russia among Americans” after the department issued a travel warning this week urging U.S. citizens to reconsider visits to the country.

Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova dismissed the travel warning, which included terrorism and harassment as serious concerns. She referred to it as an example of what the Kremlin has said repeatedly is a growing wave of Russophobia in Washington tied to allegations that Moscow interfered in the 2016 U.S. presidential elections.

"In our opinion, this is another unsubstantiated statement, whose primary goal is to trigger another round of anti-Russian hysteria in the U.S., and to cultivate blind fear of Russia among Americans," she said during her weekly news conference.

The State Department on Wednesday issued a statement indicating that terrorist groups continue to plot attacks in Russia and that bomb threats against public venues are common.

In addition, “U.S. citizens are often victims of harassment, mistreatment and extortion by law enforcement and other officials,” it said.

The warning placed Russia on the third level of the State Department’s four-tiered system for advising U.S. citizens traveling abroad. Sudan, Niger and Pakistan are on the same level.

"Can anyone furnish at least one such example with U.S. citizens?” Zakharova said, referring to the State Department’s warning of harassment against travelers. “We looked through all the archives, but we haven’t uncovered such facts. These recommendations do raise eyebrows.”

macrosslover    301
23 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I'm betting there are far more dangerous places for tourists in the USA than there are in Russia...

Yeah, but we don't need a state department advisory for that, we can just turn on the news.

+Mirumir    5,389

US elites in general have zero knowledge of Russia or her intentions. In fact, if that would have been a zero it would have been better, since it would exclude a possibility of delusion the US lives in regards to Russia. 

http://smoothiex12.blogspot.ru/2017/12/joe-bidens-world.html

It's sad, but true.

+ctebah    3,054
25 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

It's sad, but true.

They're trying hard.  Sanctions aren't working.  Russia-China trade just reached it's 2018 goal a full year early, and this is before two more pipelines start delivering oil.

• Like 1

exotoxic    489

It's probably not a good idea to go to Chechnya or Dagestan regions of Russia but the same could be said for many places in the US.