Excel and Access files slow to open

Question

Myself and some other network users are experiencing slow opening of Excel files. While it's mainly Excel, I've noticed that I have the same issue with Access. The excel files are not large in size. The slow opening is the same regardless of whether there is content in the cells.

Troubleshooting steps performed so far include: creating a new profile and running a repair on Office. Neither step has resolved the issue. Anything else to try?

4 answers to this question

If it's in a domain environment, have you checked your domain profiles? Our users go over their limit all the time and end up having headaches like that.

Are the files on the system or network?

Have we tried deleting the .normal file? not sure if a repair to office deletes that or not

On 1/11/2018 at 7:47 AM, cbrookhart said:

The excel files are not large in size.

How long is a string sort of statement.. So they are 10KB or 10MB?  Best to give context when you say something is not large..

Are the users wifi or wired, what speed?  So they have no issues with speed if they copy the file to their local system.  Is it then slow to open even when on local file system of the users machine?  How fast is copy of file take?  Non excel or access file?

Opening files across the network

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2570623

Might help if we know what version of office your using and what OS your on, etc. ;)  Above is example of 2003 office when OFV was installed caused some issues - so really need to know more details to even guess what could be the problem.