• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

  • 0

Wired Mouse doesnt work on startup

Question

Draconian Guppy    13,035

Hey guys, after some update, my microsoft sidewinder x4 wired mouse, for some odd reason, does not work upon start up and will only start moving after a couple of minutes, sometimes 1 minute, sometimes 5. However the laptop pad does work at start up. Cant really say when this started, all I know is it was after a windows update.

 

This is a asus laptop GJ750X  windows 10 home 64 bit 10.0 build 16299.

 

dxdiag stats:

 

USB Devices
-----------
+ USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)
| Vendor/Product ID: 0x8086, 0x8C31
| Matching Device ID: USB\ROOT_HUB30
| Service: USBHUB3
| Driver: USBHUB3.SYS, 12/10/2017 13:22:34, 555416 bytes

+-+ Microsoft Hardware USB Mouse
| | Vendor/Product ID: 0x045E, 0x0724
| | Location: Port_#0003.Hub_#0003
| | Matching Device ID: usb\vid_045e&pid_0724
| | Service: HidUsb
| | Driver: hidusb.sys, 9/29/2017 07:41:08, 40960 bytes
| | Driver: hidclass.sys, 9/29/2017 07:41:08, 187392 bytes
| | Driver: hidparse.sys, 9/29/2017 07:41:08, 45568 bytes
| | Driver: coin95ip.dll, 1/7/2014 08:52:24, 2276560 bytes
| | 
| +-+ HID-compliant mouse
| | | Vendor/Product ID: 0x045E, 0x0724
| | | Matching Device ID: HID_DEVICE_SYSTEM_MOUSE
| | | Service: mouhid
| | | Driver: mouhid.sys, 9/29/2017 07:41:08, 32768 bytes
| | | Driver: mouclass.sys, 9/29/2017 07:41:08, 57240 bytes

 

 

 

 

I found this in system logs, maybe its related?

 

"

 

The local adapter does not support an important Low Energy controller state to support peripheral mode.  The minimum required supported state mask is 0x491f7fffff, got 0x1fffffff.  Low Energy peripheral role functionality will not be available.

"

 

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>

  <Provider Name="BTHUSB" />

  <EventID Qualifiers="32773">34</EventID>

  <Level>3</Level>

  <Task>0</Task>

  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-01-03T00:15:31.868984100Z" />

  <EventRecordID>761</EventRecordID>

  <Channel>System</Channel>

  <Computer>NorthernStar</Computer>

  <Security />

  </System>

- <EventData>

  <Data />

  <Data>0x491f7fffff</Data>

  <Data>0x1fffffff</Data>

  <Binary>00000000030028000000000022000580000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>

  </EventData>

  </Event>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
+DevTech    1,221

All USB peripherals do a power negotiation on startup or when plugged in to talk the CPU into providing the full power the device needs.

 

This might be in that area. Things tro try as a test:

 

1. plug into a different port

 

2. Add a USB HUB that is externally powered with a wall brick.

 

3. Turn off any power save and management options under USB and System in Device Manager - usually a TAB on far right. (the Windows Update might have gone more aggressive on power saving which is not agreeable to older hardware)

 

4. Allow for chance your hardware is failing.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
HoochieMamma    647

If you know roughly when it happened, go into windows updates and sort by date installed and see if there is anything there that might affect it (hardware driver or update that affects USB devices etc) and get rid of it and test?

 

Also test the mouse on another machine make sure it works fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Draconian Guppy    13,035
14 hours ago, DevTech said:

All USB peripherals do a power negotiation on startup or when plugged in to talk the CPU into providing the full power the device needs.

 

This might be in that area. Things tro try as a test:

 

1. plug into a different port

 

2. Add a USB HUB that is externally powered with a wall brick.

 

3. Turn off any power save and management options under USB and System in Device Manager - usually a TAB on far right. (the Windows Update might have gone more aggressive on power saving which is not agreeable to older hardware)

 

4. Allow for chance your hardware is failing.

 

1. already trried

2. will do

3. did that just now, disabled  "USB selective suspend"  , will see how t hat goes

4. see below

14 hours ago, HoochieMamma said:

If you know roughly when it happened, go into windows updates and sort by date installed and see if there is anything there that might affect it (hardware driver or update that affects USB devices etc) and get rid of it and test?

 

Also test the mouse on another machine make sure it works fine.

Just tried it in another windows 10 machine, same issue, doesn't work for an odd minute or so, then comes on fine . But yeah, highly considering its time to replace, it is after all around 10ish years old :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Draconian Guppy    13,035

well, tried mouse in another windows 10 machine 3 so far. Disabling usb selective suspend is the only way.  

Tried on windows 7 no issue. So definitely a windows 10 issue, that and probably drivers are obsolete :laugh:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Draconian Guppy    13,035

Happened again this morning, same error message... grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+warwagon    11,360

Might be related to Asus Ai-Suite 3.

 

Had a friend with an Asus who installed the latest Update patch from Microsoft and after restarting he could type in his password and after that, his keyboard would die. In his case, it ended up being a compatibility with the old version of ASUS A-Suite. So maybe pertains to you as well

 

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98800 <---- Download link

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Draconian Guppy    13,035
18 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Might be related to Asus Ai-Suite 3.

 

Had a friend with an Asus who installed the latest Update patch from Microsoft and after restarting he could type in his password and after that, his keyboard would die. In his case, it ended up being a compatibility with the old version of ASUS A-Suite. So maybe pertains to you as well

 

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98800 <---- Download link

will check if I have this installed! thanks about to give up too !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+warwagon    11,360
23 hours ago, Draconian Guppy said:

will check if I have this installed! thanks about to give up too !

Any luck?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Draconian Guppy    13,035
Just now, warwagon said:

Any luck?

Haven't been paying attention to my computer, been to busy baking! Making my own breads now!  Tonight ill give it a go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Draconian Guppy    13,035
On 1/24/2018 at 10:01 AM, warwagon said:

Any luck?

Well got around to looking for anything AI suite related, nothing to be found, imma guess it's  time for a new mouse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+Mando    5,113
On 1/24/2018 at 4:02 PM, Draconian Guppy said:

Haven't been paying attention to my computer, been to busy baking! Making my own breads now!  Tonight ill give it a go!

are you stating your a masterbaker? :p hehehehehe 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Draconian Guppy    13,035
15 minutes ago, Mando said:

are you stating your a masterbaker? :p hehehehehe 

of course my norse :shifty:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
DConnell    5,973
19 minutes ago, Mando said:

are you stating your a masterbaker? :p hehehehehe 

I'd avoid his pumpernickel ,,, :shifty:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+Mando    5,113
20 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

of course my norse :shifty:

Norse! Norse you say, how dare you! :p 

The Norsemen (or the Romans for that matter) never got anywhere near this far North East of Scotland TYVM! 

 

The vikings hit the west coast of the UK, im east coast. The ancient Picts made sure of that ;o) 

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picts

 

The Aberlemno standing stones in the article are in a village next to my home town :p im slap bang in old Pictish territory. (Circin) predating the Gaels of Alba.

Thats where the blue faces come from, it wasnt William Wallace ala Braveheart nonsense.

 

One of their deities, is a half dog, half serpent, biting its own serpents tail, keep meaning to get that as a tattoo to remind myself when im old and wrinkly, where my roots are.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Draconian Guppy    13,035
17 minutes ago, Mando said:

Norse! Norse you say, how dare you! :p 

The Norsemen (or the Romans for that matter) never got anywhere near this far North East of Scotland TYVM! 

 

The vikings hit the west coast of the UK, im east coast. The ancient Picts made sure of that ;o) 

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picts

 

The Aberlemno standing stones in the article are in a village next to my home town :p im slap bang in old Pictish territory. (Circin)

Thats where the blue faces come from, it wasnt William Wallace ala Braveheart nonsense.

 

One of their deities, is a half dog, half serpent, biting its own serpents tail, keep meaning to get that as a tattoo to remind myself when im old and wrinkly, where my roots are.

 

 

imma just leave this here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_during_the_Roman_Empire  :shifty:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+Mando    5,113
1 hour ago, Draconian Guppy said:

thats not this part of Scotland ;) we have pictish forts all over the place, they got their asses kicked at the Battle of Aberlemno ;) in Strathmore. < region i live.

 

The romans couldnt wipe out the picts and later the Gaels, and built Hadrians wall to keep us out of their territory :p west coast up towards Invernesshire sure, but not the East

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Draconian Guppy    13,035
1 hour ago, Mando said:

thats not this part of Scotland ;) we have pictish forts all over the place, they got their asses kicked at the Battle of Aberlemno ;) in Strathmore. < region i live.

 

The romans couldnt wipe out the picts and later the Gaels, and built Hadrians wall to keep us out of their territory :p west coast up towards Invernesshire sure, but not the East

Are you saying wikipedia is not a trustworthy source to argue about history.

Quote

 

Scotland during the Roman Empire refers to the protohistorical period during which the Roman Empire interacted with the area that is now Scotland, 


 

 

Edited by Draconian Guppy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.